1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Lager Crashing

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by Blargimus, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Blargimus

Blargimus Member

So I'm in process of making my first lager, a munich dunkel. I made a proper starter, pitched around 45, let it warm to 49, and held it there for 17 days. I believe at this point one is supposed to gradually lower the temperature to the mid-upper 30s, but yesterday I was not thinking for some reason, and crashed it down to 36 in a matter of hours. Since I pitched cold, I never intended to do a diacetyl rest anyway, but that still seems very fast. While I will certainly RDWAHAH, I was wondering your collective opinions regarding the outcome. Will the lagering stage take longer? Shorter? Are there other effects? I'm also lagering in the primary carboy so the precipitated proteins stay there - any reasons for kegging it now?

Thanks!
  2. bulletrain76

bulletrain76 Member

The idea with lowering the tmp slowly is to keep the yeast active and acclimate them to the lower temperatures so you can still get a little bit of activity out of them over the next few weeks. Never done a quick crash, but I'd guess you'll be fine as long as VDK was sufficiently reduced prior to cooling. As far as lagering in primary, I would want to get the flocculated yeast and trub away from the beer, though this is less imperative in a dark lager than in something like a helles or pils. You are better off letting it sit cold for several days to get most of the yeast to drop out and then transferring it to keg for a longer cold conditioning period.
  3. VikeMan

VikeMan Member

As long as the yeast were done, cold crashing shouldn't hurt.
    yinzer likes this.
  4. premierpro

premierpro Member

You should be fine. I would get this beer off the yeast and lager in a keg.