1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Lagers that rocked your world?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by DmouthCaliBrewz, Apr 7, 2013.

1. Gimme some BA.......

German lagers were my gateway beer (thanks dad!), but I quickly moved on to ales as I got more into craft beer, and now I find myself the biggest fan of DIPAs and BA RIPs like everyone else and their brother. However, the other day I had an INCREDIBLE mellow lager, that really made me appreciate the style for the first time in a while. While I know that, by definition, lagers are not going to be in your face with flavor, I must say that I forgot how incredible a well done interpretation of the style can be. So BA, what are some lagers that managed to rock your jaded palates?

note: the beer I am referencing is Union House Lager, brewed by the Norwich Inn (aka Jasper Murdock Alehouse) in Norwich, VT. I never would have had any of their beers if I didn't go to college right across the river, and decided there for dinner with some friends. I had pretty low expectations for most of their beers, since most of their ales are "brewed according to the English tradition," and I figured that meant "BORING," but I was so pleasantly surprised, I thought I would give them a shout out.

2. BB1313

BB1313 Champion (805) Ohio Jul 16, 2009

Besides all of Great Lakes' lagers and Prima Pils... Columbus Summer Teeth is probably my favorite lager ever. It's a Kellerbier.. unfiltered goodness! Can't wait. Last summer was my first time having it and I was blown away. Will be drinking alot of it this summer..

3. Another tasty Kellerbier is Southampton Keller Pils. It should be out shortly (it is a summer seasonal).

Cheers!

4. BigBarley

BigBarley Savant (330) Texas Aug 5, 2011

Hacker Pschorr Munchner Gold

fuzzylogic likes this.
  5. Did you see that Southampton's moved (again!) their contract-brewed beers from Mendocino/Old Saratoga to the new Susquehanna Brewing Company? Besides the Keller, their Burton IPA is also being done there.

[​IMG]

That's got to be the 5th or 6th brewery they've contracted with the past few years- including The Lion, City-Latrobe, Genesee, Sly Fox, Greenpoint.

6. JK, I knew that Southampton was contract brewing at Susquehanna Brewing Company (vs. Two Roads for example) only because you and I have corresponded about this in the past.

I have purchased a lot of Southampton beer over the years that were contract brewed at various locations (the bottles I bought were brewed at City-Latrobe, Sly Fox, and Olde Saratoga Brewery). Every bottle (and draft) Southampton contract brewed beer has been brewed in an excellent manner. I believe that Southampton (I suspect that Phil Markowski deserves some credit here) has historically done a great job selecting contract breweries and managing those contracts. Based upon this history, and what I have read about Susquehanna Brewing Company, I have a very good feeling about the quality of the Southampton beers being brewed at Susquehanna. I will admit that I would have preferred that the Southampton contract brewing would have occurred at Two Roads to maintain the Phil Markowski brewing legacy but I feel confident that the Southampton-Susquehanna teaming will be successful as well.

I wish that other craft breweries could be as successful in having quality beer contract brewed as Southampton Brewing. For contract brewing to be successful you need at a minimum two things: a quality brewery to perform the contract brewing and a ‘give a shit’ attitude from the contracting brewery to manage the brewing.

Cheers!

7. Krampus, Celebrator doppebock, Black Bavarian are some of my fav lagers

8. AdamBear

AdamBear Savant (405) Pennsylvania Dec 21, 2009

The Bruery Humulus Lager! I wish I could have that in my fridge.

9. Hoponius Union

10. Groomsy

Groomsy Savant (350) Kentucky Sep 23, 2010

Christian Moerlein's Emancipator Doppelbock is a fantastic American doppelbock, I think. Moerlein's ales can be hit and miss, but their lagers are quite solid.

Also, Troeg's Sunshine Pils was delicious when I had it. If I could get a hoppy pilsner like that year-round in my area, it would be a constant go-to.

11. Alextricity

Alextricity Champion (775) Michigan Jun 18, 2012

Double Agent IPL is a good one.

12. Harp, I tried it for the first time about six months ago and loved it. It is gritty and malty. I dont drink it often but if I find it on tap it is a no brainer go to beer.

13. The list is long for me, but the one I can't get out of my head is Monchsambacher Lagerbier. Smooth, packed full of flavors (buttered (not diacetyl) bread and marmalade-ish, think hints not American over the top) Easily my number one Lager. Though like I said, the list is long and the spaces between the spots would be tight. Funny I messaged Herrburgess about this one earlier.

herrburgess likes this.
  14. litheum94

litheum94 Initiate (0) California Dec 29, 2008

The Bruery Humulus Lager for sure, especially the wet hop version.

15. bdtva

bdtva Aficionado (180) Virginia Feb 18, 2013

Maui Brewing co. Bikini Blonde Lager

tone77 likes this.
  16. Rohkey

Rohkey Savant (350) Michigan Jan 13, 2013

Bud Light Lime

DmouthCaliBrewz likes this.
  17. dan027

dan027 Savant (330) Pennsylvania Mar 28, 2011

I may be alone here but I thoroughly enjoyed Southern Tier Eurotrash Pilz. As others have said, Prima Pils from Victory is fantastic too as is their Braumeister Pils

fuzzylogic likes this.
  18. zid

zid Savant (430) New York Feb 15, 2010

Mahrs Ungespundet-hefetrub
    &
    Aecht Schlenkerla Urbock

Try an EKU 28 or a Kulmbacher Eisbock for something that will challenge your definitions.:)

If the English tradition is boring, then it's a very beautiful boring.

19. RichD

RichD Advocate (715) Rhode Island Mar 18, 2012

20. Chinon01

Chinon01 Savant (440) Pennsylvania Jan 23, 2007

Lager can be as big and dramatic as any ale. Having said that pilsner is probably my favorite style.

mintjellie likes this.
  21. Schlenklera Maerzen, Urbock, Fastenbier; Spezial Lager, Maerzen; Mahr's Ungespundetes, Gig, Weisse Bock; Klosterbrau Braunbier, Schwaerzla, Maibock; Keesmann Pils; Greifenklau Lager, Rauchbier, Bock. These can all be found in their own respective historic taverns, all within a 15-minute walking distance of each other in Bamberg, Germany. If you want to get adventurous and explore a 15-minute driving distance, you will find literally 100s of others. Expand the distance to 1 hour or so, and the number will be in the 1000s.

mjtierney2 likes this.
  22. the glory that is Jack's Abby, in its entirety!

Fubar1453, Hopdaemon39 and Stormfield like this.
  23. This is a long-retired one time offering, but Odell's Woodcut No. 4 (Barrel Aged Marzen) rocked my world... Odell's got a temporary license for philly beer week on year... I'm not a trader, but I traded to acquire additional bottles... One of my highest rated brews of all time...

In terms of more widely available stuff, I can endorse Voodoo Pilzilla without hesitation...

24. Schlenklera Maerzen is listed twice, does that mean two Maß?

Where is the beer with the extra Herb!?! I didn’t see that on the list.

Cheers!

25. digita7693

digita7693 Advocate (600) Germany Jan 19, 2010

In the US?
    anything from Heater Allen!

Kopfschuss likes this.
  26. BeerKangaroo

BeerKangaroo Initiate (0) Alaska May 30, 2011

DFH's My Antonia

BrownAleMale and dagmer like this.
  27. Not sure I agree with your reading comprehension. Though I am on the "herb" train with ya (and Keesmann Pils is plenty "herb")!

28. Bells Quinnanan Lager and Lagunitas Pils

29. Loved that Mahr's cloudy and musty delicious just wish it was not so $$ great brew

30. Take the 1-hour radius route around Bamberg and at least 500 of the 1000 or so brews you'll find will be of similar quality to the Mahr's U...and most will cost you less than $1 per bottle.

31. dhannes

dhannes Savant (385) Wisconsin Feb 14, 2010

Capital Blonde Doppelbock and Sierra Nevada Summerfest.

anglagard1 likes this.
  32. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,120) Washington Sep 24, 2007

One of my neighborhood breweries, Chuckanut Brewing, recently had a Baltic Porter that just blew me away. I drank a lot of it. It's gone now, but they're going to make it again in time for GABF judging. I can't wait!

Kopfschuss likes this.
  33. dangle47

dangle47 Aficionado (150) New York May 16, 2007

Ayinger Altbairisch Dunkel and Black Bavarian

dungledauf and BrownAleMale like this.
  34. “Schlenklera Maerzen, Urbock, Fastenbier; Spezial Lager, Maerzen” Or do I have double vision!?!:confused:

“Keesmann Pils is plenty "herb")!” Good to know. I haven’t seen that beer at any of the beer stores that I have been in (and I have been in plenty!) but I will buy some next time I see it.

Cheers!

35. Schlenkerla and Spezial both make tasty Maerzens.

36. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (770) Florida Oct 24, 2010

Yep, this is what I came to say. So good. Hoping to snag some Jack's Abby when I'm in MA next weekend.

37. kemoarps

kemoarps Advocate (590) Washington Apr 30, 2008

admittedly I'm not generally big on the style, but Anacortes Brewery's Vienna Lager is really really really good.

Kopfschuss and beertunes like this.
  38. Schlenkerla Maerzen
    Ayinger Celebrator
    Paulaner Salvator
    Samichlaus
    Les Trois Mousquetaires Grande Cuvee Porter Baltique
    Les Trois Mousquetaires Serie Signature Oktoberfest
    Les Trois Mousquetaires Serie Signature Maibock
    Weltenburger Kloster Asam-Bock
    Victory Prima Pils
    Sam Adams Noble Pils
    Pilsner Uquell - You can easily find reasonably fresh cans of it in Ontario, and I really like it.
    King Pilsner - Local and even more enjoyable than Urquell. Even fresher.
    King Vienna
    Creemore Springs Kellerbier
    Coney Island Albino Python
    Christoffel Bier/Blonde
    Christoffel Nobel

mmmbirra likes this.
  39. Doh! I missed the semi-colon there. Scott is right: I have a reading comprehension problem (I can't distinguish various punctuation on long lists).

That is why I use bullets in my posts.;)

Cheers!

40. Not going to cut and paste evidence but I believe technically Maerzen means March Beer. But also going off of memory Schlenkerlas year round standard is their Maerzen. Think of a medium to dark amber with a nice strong malt backbone and of sessionable strength (Bamberg rules not London) similar to a Fest Bier and you are on track.