1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Laginitas in TN?

Discussion in 'US - South' started by fat58hwy, Jul 1, 2012.

1. fat58hwy

fat58hwy Aficionado (140) Tennessee Jun 25, 2008

I've heard contradicting news about Laguinitas coming to TN, July maybe? Middle and West, but not East?...depends on the distributor? I've not seen any updates here and have not gotten a response from Laginitas. I also checked with McScrroges here in Knoxville and he acted like he had never heard of them (I'll chalk that one up to uneducation).

They are my favorite "value" brewer and I would love to save a trip to Fort Oglethorpe or Asheville and keep some of my dollars in TN. Any one out there with some inside info to ease my mind? Thanks in advance.

2. I've heard the same things. I work at a store that carries as many craft brews as we can. A few local distributors have told us that it's going to happen this year. However, we have to take that with a grain of salt around here. I email Lagunitas back in January I believe and this is what I got:

"Thanks for the note and Happy New Year!
    Yes, our plans are coming together for the state of TN and we're very excited.
    We're looking at April and it would be sooner, but our new brewery expansion is on-going right now
    and we want to have the brewing capacity to support state roll-outs.

No real decisions have been made for the Chattanooga market as yet, but we have some good ideas.
    WE think TN is going to be a great state for us!

Thanks again, and when we get a bit closer, I'll reach out to meet you!
    Greg"

3. Josiah2729

Josiah2729 Savant (265) Tennessee Jun 12, 2011

That would be nice. Anytime we can get better selection here I am happy!

4. xxcarpxx

xxcarpxx Initiate (0) Alabama Jan 13, 2011

In Alabama, August 1st we start getting big bottles...I've heard strong "rumors" that they'll be one of the first new brewerys to move into Alabama ...for that reason, I would believe that Tennessee would get distribution very soon..

5. elgiacomo

elgiacomo Savant (460) Georgia Jun 28, 2007

If it were to happen this year, I don't see it happening anytime really soon as I get the feeling that Lagunitas is feeling some growing pains getting their expansion fully up and running. Here in Georgia, where supplies of Lagunitas had always been plentiful, we are now seeing pretty serious shortages with our distributor pretty much constantly out of product and when they do get it in, it has to be strictly allocated.

6. Lagunitas gets allocated?! Are we talking some if the limited releases (like Sucks, which allocation would make sense) or everything?

7. fat58hwy

At least there is hope. Until TN steps into this century and changes the distribution laws, I guess I'll settle for some hope...and trips to Fort O and Asheville.

8. elgiacomo

elgiacomo Savant (460) Georgia Jun 28, 2007

Right now, yes, even the year-round beers such as Maximus, IPA, Sumpin, etc are being allocated. Deliveries aren't coming as frequently as in the past, so the distributor runs out of nearly everything before the next truck arrives, and there generally isn't enough to go around. This has been going on for the past 2 or 3 months or so. Hopefully this is just a little blip, and we'll be back to normal soon!

9. fat58hwy

That'd do it. Thanks for the info.

10. harperman69

harperman69 Savant (355) Tennessee Feb 11, 2009

11. Josiah2729

12. Josiah2729

13. Talked to a chattanooga rep yesterday. Lagunitas will be in Chattanooga in august. Or so he said. We shall see....

14. harperman69

Glad to see that Lagunitas changed their mind on being here. Hopefully they will lobby the state to change their structure and tax on alcohol to better serve the state and it's people. Laguntias has long been a favorite budget beer of mine.

15. EDIT: This was a mistake on my behalf. As of now, no one is sure who will be picking up Lagunitas. They can't tell me much more, except for that they got a phone call about it regarding this post. So, apologies.

16. rangerred

rangerred Savant (415) Tennessee Dec 20, 2006

Lagunitas IPA is now on draft at Libation Station in Johnson City, TN for growler fills. Bottles of the IPA plus several other varieties should be arriving fairly soon.

17. NODAK

NODAK Savant (375) Tennessee Jun 7, 2009

Well I made a beer run to Alabama yesterday and found no trace of Lagunitas there either, so I'm guessing it's more than just Tennessee.

That said, I spoke with Lagunitas at the Southern Brewers Festival and they told me it would be October.

We'll see though. Lagunitas has been pushed back so many times it's a "believe it when I see it" thing.

18. rangerred

It's actually in a couple places in northeast TN already. Quite surprising since we are usually the last to get new stuff.

19. NODAK

NODAK Savant (375) Tennessee Jun 7, 2009

Well that's encouraging.

Although if you're near the Virginia border I'm sure this all doesn't matter much because VA has pretty amazing selection and you can just hop over the border whenever.

20. jbrana

jbrana Aficionado (105) Tennessee Mar 7, 2012

Frugal MacDougal in Nashville had Lagunitas IPA on their growler station, and apparently their appearance at Midtown's whiskey festival is their "kick off" for their release in Nashville. It's finally happening apparently.

21. rangerred

This would be true if there was anywhere near the border with a decent selection. There is a small bottle shop on the border in Bristol, Va that is very pricey, but decent. Otherwise the best you can do in the grocery store is NB Ranger and Guinness Foreign Extra Stout.

22. Got a keg of the IPA waiting to go on the growler wall in Chattanooga. Package is expected to follow in a month or so(per the Carter distribution rep).

23. @Mikeehrmantraut...where at? Riverside? I'm glad that I was right about it being distro thru Carter!

24. Riverside, yep. It got put on the wall yesterday. We are scheduled to promo it next Friday($7.99/64oz. fill) as well.

25. NICE! I work over at Greenlife, so we might have met before. I come to riverside often to get the higher grav offerings. Do you mainly work on the beer side?

26. Yessir.

27. gotcha. I think I've met you before...did you recently just move to Chattanooga?

28. December. I'm pretty easy to spot out compared to the rest of the employees, as I'm the only one with a beard. Give a shout next time you're in.

29. harperman69

Lagunitas available (low ABV) to me later this week through DET Distributing. IPA is the only one available, but I'll take it.

30. Lagunitas IPA and Pils arrived today at Riverside in Chattanooga. High gravs Maximus and Hop Stoopid should arrive later this week.

31. Tilley4

Tilley4 Advocate (555) Tennessee Nov 13, 2007

Im hearing the high grav stuff should be hitting the market here in Jackson in the next few weeks... im hoping that will mean Hop Stoopid and the rest of the bunch including Sucks... I may be hoping for too much though.

32. The distributor didn't offer any information to me as to when or what we would be receiving in the near future. I'm not going to complain too much, I'm just glad they expanded to our market(s).

33. Saw the low ABV at MidTown a couple weeks back. Didn't see the high gravity stuff yet. Brown Sugga will hopefully be making the trip into Nashville.

34. rangerred

High grav is here in Johnson City at Plaza Package. Hop Stoopid, Maximums, Little Sumpin Sumpin, and Censored. Not sure if we're getting any others

35. Maximus and Hop Stoopid arrived yesterday in Chattanooga.

harperman69 likes this.