1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Lagunitas bottle date

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by brureview, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Supposedly the bottle date for Lagunitas is on the neck of the bottle? I looked for the date on a bottle of Hop Stoopid and found no date, even with a magnifying glass:)

2. beerborn

beerborn Savant (345) Georgia Jan 22, 2012

Turn bottle upside down at a 48 degree negative incline under a particle beam. If graphic does not appear repeat after consumption. If date still does not appear then I am out of ideas.

afrokaze, siege06nd, jglowe77 and 3 others like this.
  3. ilikebeer03

ilikebeer03 Savant (365) Texas Oct 17, 2012

I just bought a bottle of Hop Stoopid and did the same thing with the same results. What gives?

4. Never seen hop stupid with a date. The 12oz does show on the neck. The sucks I am drinking right now was bottled on 2 January.

Enjoy

5. raynmoon

raynmoon Advocate (500) California Aug 13, 2011

If it tastes awesome then it's fresh. If it is missing something, then is it old.

They seriously need to put that shit into green-ass six packs.

6. I may have an old bottle. They repriced the bottle(possibly for sale purposes) so it could be older.

7. rfbenavi80

rfbenavi80 Savant (360) Missouri Mar 15, 2010

Drinking my last Brown Shugga now and don't see any date on the neck..........

8. It's a julian code so the first 3 numbers are the day of the year, my Sucks says 002...., meaning the 2nd day of the year. It's sometimes hard to see but it is definitely on Hop Stoopid as well.

Brewzer1010 and jibberjabber like this.
  9. Just had a Hop Stoopid recently, code was plain as day on mine. Was able to use my own info :)

10. jampics2

jampics2 Advocate (720) Ohio Dec 19, 2008

They're next to impossible to see unless you backlight and tip the bottle, at least on the bottles of Sucks I've bought.

Had a Sucks that said "366" and that threw me off until I remembered 2012 was leap year so that means it was bottled on Dec 31st. Latest batch of Sucks to hit OH is 1/13/13 and is SOOOOO good!!

11. If you hold the bottle by the neck at any point it can be easy to smudge the print off, so keep that in mind.

12. Picture or description? I looked with a magnifying glass and didn't see a date:)

13. It just occurred to me that the price tag may have covered the BD. But near the neck of the bottle there is no code.

14. I am really guessing you smudged it off by accident. Happened to me a couple of times.

15. The date is on the neck of the bottle? Is it etched in?

16. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (595) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

Of the several Lagunitas bottles I have had recently, I couldn't find a date or code on the neck. Sucks, Brown Shugga, Sumpin Sumpin, and I forget the fourth one.

17. The date is on the neck, and it is not etched it. It's printed with ink. As I said, it smudges. To confirm my hypothesis I actively rubbed the bottle date on a maximus bottle and it smudged right off easily.

18. Shaking the bottle will also help "light up" the code. The foam really helps read the date code. 1st three numbers-Julian date, next 3 numbers-batch number, last 4 numbers- military time. You can get the bottling down to the minute

19. JohnQ

JohnQ Aficionado (125) California Jul 7, 2012

Made a stop at Safeway last week before the games so got beer while I was there.I decided on a 12 pak of plain old
    IPA.After I got home I checked.322.So late November? The flavor ? not so great.

20. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,135) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

My bottles of Sucks are also 002...the stamp is about 2" from the tip of the bottle and easy to read. I rubbed the stamp really hard with my hand and the stamp does fade but it takes that much effort to make it so.

21. Topher78

Topher78 Savant (305) California Jul 8, 2011

I've found that if you don't drink the IPA within 30 days of bottling it really lacks that "Lagunitas" hop punch. It's also that way for Maximus.

22. Madskill

Madskill Savant (255) California Nov 25, 2012

I just picked up Sucks at Safeway bottling date 020 and I got their IPA 005!

Topher78 likes this.
  23. I drank it last night and it was excellent- bought in Whole Foods. So it was most likely a newer bottling date.

24. Was about to post that there is a long numerical code I don't understand on the Sucks I bought today, thanks for the insight. 005 = fresh!!