Lagunitas Brewing expanding distribution across U.S. (sorry, Tennessee)

Discussion in 'US - South' started by sommersb, Mar 9, 2012.

1. sommersb

sommersb Advocate (580) Tennessee May 25, 2010

As seen at BeerPulse: http://www.beerpulse.com/2012/03/la...ding-distribution-across-u-s-sorry-tennessee/

"Lagunitas beers currently are distributed in 35 states and Washington, D.C., including major beer markets like California, Texas, Florida, New York, Illinois and Pennsylvania. With a $14 million brewery enlargement that will more than triple annual capacity from 185,000 barrels to as much as 600,000 barrels, Lagunitas will expand into another 14 states, bringing distribution to 49 states.
    Tennessee is the lone state that won’t have Lagunitas due to an ABV cap around 6%."

Source article: http://www.shankennewsdaily.com/ind...agunitas-poised-to-achieve-national-presence/

2. drfabulous

drfabulous Savant (285) Kentucky Jul 23, 2005 Subscriber

Does this mean Kentucky is in? That would be very nice.
    Edited: Duh. 35 + 14 = 49. I'm smart this morning.

jgagne and kaips1 like this.
  3. crusian

crusian Advocate (640) Oregon May 14, 2010

Tennessee can sell beer over 6% in liquor stores... unless it has changed in recent years.
    When I was at lagunitas last month they said they want to hit all 50 states after the expansion, so there may be hope for Tennessee.

4. I'm wondering if this is a misunderstanding of our beer laws on the Lagunitas side, or just poor reporting (paraphrasing?) to say we have a 6% alcohol cap...

#FreeTheABVSplit

5. sommersb

Yea I figured the real hang-up is how we have to split sales between higher and lower alcohol beer, since we don't really have a cap (that I'm aware of)

6. sommersb

Makes me wonder about Mississippi - from my understanding, they are currently capped at 5% ABW, or 6.25% ABV, unless they get the current legislation approved. I would think this would cause Lagunitas to avoid MS as well, unless they're assuming the new law gets passed before they expand there...

7. The new bill being passed (has it gotten to Senate yet?) raises the cap to 8% abw... Still, its an annoying cap

Edit- raiseyourpints.com shows its on its way to the Senate floor

8. Merkur

Merkur Aficionado (200) Tennessee Jan 3, 2011

I would bet that whoever wrote the article/press release simply got TN and MS confused. TN's antiquated system has not stopped other breweries from a legal standpoint that I am aware of.

9. Via Facebook- we got confirmation from Lagunitas today that TN will get them... The article was false!

10. cvm4

cvm4 Savant (450) Mississippi Apr 27, 2011 Verified

I'm not complaining that they're coming to MS, I just find it hard to believe. My thinking is until the new bill to raise the abv passes, they'll send some of their beers that meet the current law to get a foothold in the market.

11. sommersb

I saw BeerPulse now has a correction as well - huzzah!:

UPDATE: Contrary to the Shanken report, a Lagunitas rep says that the company expects to open Tennessee in June or July. Locals think it could be as early as next month.

12. rangerred

rangerred Savant (465) Tennessee Dec 20, 2006

I really hope we get it up here in NE TN. Green Flash isn't up here and we don't even get anything over 6.2% from New Belgium, Sam Adams, or Sierra Nevada. Pretty much a beer desert.

13. Tilley4

Tilley4 Advocate (605) Tennessee Nov 13, 2007 Verified

Awesome news... I'm wondering if the Lagunitas will make it to West Tn? We're still waiting on Green Flash to get here!!!!

14. Is this going to be a simultaneous expansion where every new market will get product june, july or as early as next month?

15. fsvan

fsvan Savant (275) Tennessee Feb 7, 2009

All of the GF stuff in Nashville is > 6.2%, so that may have something to do with why you haven't seen it out there.

16. I've talked to a Lagunitas rep and a Chattanooga rep. They both have denied this and have said that Tennessee will be getting Lagunitas as long as your cities distributor has their liquor license. If not, then your city will not be getting anything below the 6.2% cap.

17. I'm sure they meant MS instead of TN. We're the only state with such a low limit. Luckily both the House and Senate bills to raise it to 8% abw (roughly 10.1 abv) made it out of their respective chambers. That's a good sign at least one of them should pass both chambers and reach the Gov, who has indicated he would likely sign it.

18. jbrana

jbrana Aficionado (125) Tennessee Mar 7, 2012

Anyone heard an update on when Lagunitas is supposed to be hitting TN? I originally heard June or July, but no sign of it yet.

19. It hasn't hit chattanoogas distribution warehouse yet

20. EDIT: This was a mistake on my behalf. As of now, no one is sure who will be picking up Lagunitas. They can't tell me much more, except for that they got a phone call about it regarding this post. So, apologies.

21. sommersb

I hear tell that Lagunitas will be represented at the upcoming Nashville Whiskey Fest in September, with a barrel-aged beer...

22. I talked to one of the main folks at DET (Miller/Coors) and they are releasing Lagunitas in October, around the same time Ajax releases Southern Tier.

23. Tilley4

Tilley4 Advocate (605) Tennessee Nov 13, 2007 Verified

Awesome news... I'm hoping we will be getting the full line of both...

24. Josiah2729

Josiah2729 Savant (265) Tennessee Jun 12, 2011

Fun stuff! Lot's of new beers to taste!

25. NODAK

NODAK Savant (385) Tennessee Jun 7, 2009

We're getting Southern Tier?!?!?!