1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Lagunitas Brewing expands Chicago plans, will lift company-wide capacity to 2.4MM bbls

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by sandiego67, Mar 29, 2013.

1. sandiego67

sandiego67 Member

I had a great time at the Petaluma brewery bit is anyone clamoring for 2.4 million barrels of Lagunitas?

"Lagunitas is expanding its plan for Chicago, taking over the whole facility it is already building in and prepping it for a second brewhouse. That plan will eventually bring Chicago capacity to a whopping 1.7 million barrels on top of 700k barrels at the original plant in Petaluma"

http://beerpulse.com/2013/03/laguni...lift-company-wide-capacity-to-2-4mm-bbls-103/
    redxboar likes this.
  2. spicoli00

spicoli00 Member

Hoping they open they open the tasting room on 4.20, which would be lagunitas style
    notchucknorris likes this.
  3. nsheehan

nsheehan Member

That's pretty cool, but it's a little weird to think the expansion plant will brew more than twice as much as the current brewery in Petaluma. If they make most of their beer in Chi, does that make them an Illinois brewer?
    Hopefully they make the Chi brewery have a nice beer garden like the current one, with a great vibe. But with actual seasons in Chi that probably isn't in the cards.
  4. mpayne5

mpayne5 Member

Any expanded distro? I need Lagunitas in Indiana.
    Swik and BigJim5021 like this.
  5. BlowstotheBody

BlowstotheBody Member

Stoked for more Lagunitas! And unless I'm looking at outdated info, the brewery should be up and running by September. This could be another stop for me on my October Chicago trip along with Pipeworks, Revolution and Half Acre. Sweet!
  6. rboinski

rboinski Member

Just don't forget to brew waldo this year and I don't care where they produce most of their beer
  7. Lutter

Lutter Member

I read that once Chicago is open, they're going to be in all 50 states (and with an eventual 2.4 million bbl, I'm guessing they'll start exporting too).

They key word in this is "eventually". Meaning that's what they have the room for.
  8. jesskidden

jesskidden Member

Breweries home states are where their headquarters are. Boston Beer Co. brews a tiny percentage of their total barrelage in Boston, but they are not a "Pennsylvania brewer". The multi-brewery macro companies do not brew the majority of their beer in their headquarter cities - yet AB (yeah, I know - now a wholly owned subsidiary of ABI) still lists St. Louis as it's headquarter city, and MillerCoors and Pabst brew no beer at all in their respective Chicago and Los Angeles headquarter cities.

Also, 2.4m bbl. capacity does not mean Langunitas can or will brew and sell 2.4 million barrels of beer- only that, potentially, the brewhouse and fermentation cellars have that potential. Some small craft brewers do experience incredible growth rates when in the under 100k bbl range, but growing 1000% - they sold 235,000 bbl in 2012 - takes some time. Do people really think Langunatis could simply sell 10 times as much beer as they do today?
    pghlee likes this.
  9. DogTown

DogTown Member

Hi... Lagunitas here. Our home, or more specifically; the brewery's brain, will still be in Petaluma. We're engineering Chicago so that it will be all operations and taproom, but the admin will all report to Petaluma. Heck, that's where I do and will live. It's nice there! Chicago will be bigger only because most people in the US live east of the Rockies. Its just that simple. How do we grow like that? We and every other small brewer are selling into an expanding global base. Things are not linear in that environment, they are geometric. Most every brewer who is in touch with beer lovers should be able to ride the wave as well. It's not even close to a 'dominating ' thing... it's a sea change of the first order. Thanks to all to all you beer lovers...
  10. jacksback

jacksback Member

Nothing wrong with more people having access to Lagunitas beers! Hope everything goes well with the new brewery.
    Providence likes this.
  11. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Member

They could if they made Sucks a year round beer and had it on my local shelves whenever I walked by. I know they plan to do 32oz bottles, but I'd like 6'ers still. I would dump most other random buys and just buy this stuff.
    SpunkyHopslammer likes this.
  12. kodt

kodt Member

The location is in an industrial area with warehouses and parking lots, I guess they could make a beer garden but yeah it would only be usable half the year. I think their idea is to have you eating and drinking in the middle of the brewery with everything going on around you.
  13. DogTown

DogTown Member

That's right... it'll be on an elevated platform made up comfy in the middle of the brewery with a skywalk over the departments for the tour. That's safer and prolly cooler too. After we get it all up and running we will be developing a rooftop bar as well for nice weather. It'll be 50 feet in the sky looking east toward downtown on the 6 acre roof top... t'will be epic, me thinks.
  14. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Member

This is awesome news! Can't wait until we get Lagunitas here in Iowa. Until then, I'll just have to make the occassional trip up to Minnesota to get my fix. Sucks 32oz. bottles/year round would be great!

Also, can't wait for the Chicago brewery/taproom to open. Will definitely be making the trip over there for a tour once it is up and fully operational!
  15. sandiego67

sandiego67 Member

Miller makes 7 million barrels a year in a huge brewery in Irwindale which is a suburb of Los Angeles.
  16. jesskidden

jesskidden Member

MillerCoors' headquarter city is Chicago, IL - no MC brewery there.

Pabst's corporate headquarters (post-Metropoulus family) are now located in LA. And yeah, that was a sort of a "given" since, of course, Pabst owns no breweries at all - obviously some of their west coast brands like Rainier and Oly are brewed under contract at M-C Irwindale. But moving the Pabst corporation headquarters to LA had little to do with the brewery in Irwindale and but was probably done because it's the home of the Metropoulus sons.
  17. ravot

ravot Member

i was there for the sneak peek party late last year. You guys did a hell of a job providing food, entertainment and your brew. All on the house. I did the flashlight tour as well. I was pretty excited when you talked about the (8k square foot) taproom being suspended 25 feet in the air by cables. I live a couple of blocks away so i can't wait until this place opens as I'll support as often as I can. Can't wait for June (if it isn't delayed again). Having the rooftop bar is news to me and even better. I can just see myself drinking a pint of lil sumpin sumpin as the metra flies by and makes me flinch spilling some on myself.

is the bowling alley still in the plans?
  18. williamjbauer

williamjbauer Member

I wonder if they will do picnic tables in chi town? Burrrrrrr
  19. DougC123

DougC123 Member

Any chance this expansion will help me be able to get 1/6th barrels in CT instead of 1/2s?
  20. flayedandskinned

flayedandskinned Member

But what if a budweiser employee sneaks in a Brettanomyces bomb and sets it off while dining?
  21. Swik

Swik Member

Everyone knows it gets hot in the Midwest....right??? I.e. founders multi million dollar expansion with beer garden :-D
  22. trbergman

trbergman Member

No sixtels, just quarters.
  23. MNPikey

MNPikey Member

Have they done any hiring for Chicago yet?
  24. DougC123

DougC123 Member

Slim or standard? I can work with slims.
  25. ravot

ravot Member

26. ShogoKawada

ShogoKawada Member

I'd buy lagunitas 12pks all the time if I could. Bring it on!
    Providence likes this.
  27. Beerswimmer

Beerswimmer Member

Me too! I'd freaking LOVE to get a 12 pack of Maximus if it was affordable. And the tour at the Petaluma facility was so fun I don't remember leaving!!!!!
  28. soccer0xxx

soccer0xxx Member

Look forward to visiting the location in Chicago once it is up and running. Definitely want to compare to the location in Petaluma! Really enjoyed the brewery there.