1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Lagunitas Brown Shugga vs. Oskar Blues G'Knight

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by IamMe90, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Anyone else think they're really similar? I had a G'Knight for the first time last night and thought that I probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference in a blind taste test.
  2. ShemRahBoo

ShemRahBoo Savant (495) New Jersey Jan 28, 2010

I don't think so, the brown shugga is really sweet for me and is not something I am a huge fan of. G'Knight I enjoy a lot, it's really more of a DIPA with great bitterness and hopped up aroma and flavor to match.
    jbeezification likes this.
  3. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (840) Michigan May 8, 2006

Both beers balance a hefty malt bill with a sizable hop profile but that is where much of the similarities end for me. G'Knight is a bit drier, Brown Shugga is much sweeter. Brown Shugga is also a steal for the price where as G'Knight is a little pricey.
    DrStiffington likes this.
  4. I've only had G'Knight once, but these beers aren't even close. Brown Shugga is disturbingly sweet. G'Knight was a very hoppy red if I remember right.
  5. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (500) New York Mar 7, 2010

I would say not at all, although technically I never had G'Knight, I only had it when it was still known as Gordon. Is there is a big difference if any between G'Knight and Gordon?
  6. I guess I don't find Brown Shugga that sweet, it's pretty hoppy to me. Funny how these things vary!
    fujindemon74 likes this.
  7. Schwantz

Schwantz Savant (390) Florida Dec 16, 2012

Had many of both. Nope.
  8. G'Kight is hoppier and the malt is more honey like to me.
  9. ThirdEyePA

ThirdEyePA Savant (370) Texas Nov 7, 2011

Brown shugga is much sweeter, and G'Knight is more bitter. G'Knight is a much better beer IMHO.
    Ri0 likes this.
  10. I agree. The more that I drank, the more I noticed some sweetness, but by no way as sweet as others are saying.
  11. ShemRahBoo

ShemRahBoo Savant (495) New Jersey Jan 28, 2010

Take it for what it is but brown shugga is around 50 IBUs in a 9.8% beer. G'knight is 85 IBUs in a 8.7% beer. I higher alcohol beer (more malt, higher OG) with less IBUs is going to taste sweet. Brown shugga's sweetness kills the beer for me, I enjoy it once in awhile but will not drink it often. There is still hop flavor but not much balancing bitterness.
  12. If anything, G'Knight is more similar to Lagunitas Imperial Red.
  13. EdTheEdge

EdTheEdge Advocate (530) California Mar 26, 2011

Dissimilar is more like it.
  14. Moose90

Moose90 Savant (405) Colorado Nov 25, 2012

Not even close IMO.

Brown Shugga: Sweet, sticky, little hop to it. good malt.

G'Knight: Big, red, grapefruit, pine, bitter, not sweet.

I love em both, but have never thought of any similarities, both have high ABV's, but thats about it.
  15. kneary13

kneary13 Savant (285) Massachusetts Jan 30, 2010

not even close. how many beers had you had previous to this 'revelation"?
    SawDog505 likes this.
  16. Seriously.
    90% of the time a BA describes a beer as sweet, I'm left scratching my head.
    BA Naked Evil, Rumpkin, J.W. Lees Harvest Ale...these brews are sweet.
    Nothing from Lagunitas or Oskar Blues is sweet.
  17. kzoobrew

Brown Shugga, sweet. Gnarleywine, sweet. Old Chub, sweet. TenFIDY, sweet. Sweet does not have to be overwhelming to be sweet, it just has to be sweet. All of these beers may have other flavors but a sweetness is part of the flavor profile.
  18. As you said, there's a sweetness to these beers but it's overshadowed by hop or roasted/bready malt, they ain't sweet.
  19. I would emphatically NOT describe ten fidy as "sweet" if I had to use a descriptor. It is one of the roastiest stouts I've had, and I would use "roasty" to describe it. "Sweet" stouts include: creme brulee, jahva, mokha, left hand milk stout, ST 2xstout, bcbs etc... I agree there is sweetness there but it doesn't take the frontseat in the palate.
    fujindemon74 likes this.
  20. kzoobrew

This boils down to semantics but I feel that there is a misconception that just because a beer is hoppy, roasty or whatever that it cannot also be sweet. A beer can be many things at once, just because people are calling a beer a sweet beer it does not mean it cannot also be other things. Brown Shugga is a sweet beer, yes it is hoppy as well but it is undoubtedly sweet.
  21. I agree that a good beer is going to have flavors, but the beers you were referring to all have dominant flavors and saying any of them are sweet makes it sound like that is the dominant flavor in it's profile, which it most certainly is not.

You wouldn't say RG3 is a hurdler at this point, right?
    He's a football player, that may hurdle defenders when necessary, but hurdling is not his primary athletic activity.
  22. Wow, wasn't thinking about comparing these. Haven't had fresh G in awhile, but these beers for me aren't even close. Both nice beers.
  23. LambicKing

LambicKing Advocate (650) Florida Apr 13, 2011

With the exception of Ten Fidy, I'll take anything Lagunitas over anything Oskar Blues any day.
  24. kzoobrew

I do not know that RGIII is currently hurdling so I would say he use to be a hurdler. But what I could say is that RGIII is currently a man and a son, we may know him more as a football player but that does not make him any less of a man or a son. I am sure he would like to be considered more than simply a football player.

I never said anything about dominant flavors, that was inferred after the fact. If we get back to the original topic, many would consider Brown Shuggas primary characteristic as being sweet, you can argue all you want but you won't sway the masses.
  25. But people are using "sweet" to describe brown shugga as "overly sweet" or in some such way with a negative connotation. And I guess what I was saying is that I don't find it to be a beer that is overly or cloyingly sweet, or even a beer where sweetness is the predominant flavor. I find it to be a strongly hoppy beer with a strong malt finish.
    fujindemon74 likes this.
  26. Dude, I no longer care.
    It was an analogy that was lost on you.
    RG3 is many things, as most people and things tend to be.
    But athletically, he's primarily a footballer that hurdles when necessary.
  27. kzoobrew

Wasn't lost on me, it was an analogy created to suit your argument. When I expanded upon that, all the sudden you did not like it so much.

You are the one who inferred dominance and primary flavors when reading my arguments. I was not arguing those words, I was going beyond them. Just because a characteristic is not dominant or primary does not mean that it is then an inaccurate descriptor.
  28. As I said, I no longer care.
    As Jim Wendler says, you're majoring in the minors.
  29. kzoobrew

Then why respond? ;)
  30. jbeezification

jbeezification Savant (405) Texas Jun 6, 2012

Lagunitas Imperial Red to Gordon is the better comparison.
  31. Brown Shugga is sweet. 'nuff said.
  32. Totally different beers, but if I have to pick one as my deserted island beer, I choose Brown Shugga.
  33. Brown Shugga's dominant flavor is sweet. I prefer G'Knight. Both are good though.
  34. The wise monk knows If Brown Shugga isn't sweet, the beer is too cold, or perhaps pour a little more vigorously to cut some of the sharpness from the high carbonation. All I know is that the Brown Shugga is sweeeet.