lagunitas cappuccino stout vintagized 2014

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by monkeybeerbelly, Dec 3, 2015.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. monkeybeerbelly

monkeybeerbelly Initiate (0) Dec 6, 2012 New York

just started seeing this on the shelf near me. its funny because their cappucino stout is the only beer that i dont like from lagunitas. i found the coffee bitterness to be very overpowering and off-putting.
    I know that with some time the coffee flavor would fade and im curious if thats why they are vintage-iszing this one.
    i would love some feedback from @DogTown

2. BMBCLT

BMBCLT Grand Pooh-Bah (3,403) May 9, 2014 South Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society

That's the only beer by Lagunitas that I like. Haven't seen their BA Imperial Coffee Stout around these parts.

eppie82 likes this.
  3. Admbmb92

Admbmb92 Initiate (0) Oct 6, 2013 Oregon

Don't fall for it, it tastes awful. Imagine Wal mart brand coffee that's been sitting out for a week and that's what you got. Cheap marketing tactic and I fell for it.

4. drunkenmess

drunkenmess Pooh-Bah (2,668) Mar 27, 2015 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Haven't seen the Cappuccino Stout yet, but I have seen The Hairy Eyeball Vintagized starting to pop up.

creepinjeeper likes this.
  5. alex_delany

alex_delany Initiate (0) Apr 29, 2015 New York

Just opened a High-Westified Imperial Coffee Stout last weekend. Best Lagunitas brew I've had to date.

6. KingEdward

KingEdward Initiate (0) Jan 6, 2010 North Carolina
    Deactivated

Agreed.. not a good beer..

FarmerTed and monkeybeerbelly like this.
  7. monkeybeerbelly

monkeybeerbelly Initiate (0) Dec 6, 2012 New York

i agree strongly with you. its funny that i loved that beer but really didnt like the cappuccino stout

alex_delany likes this.
  8. ONovoMexicano

ONovoMexicano Initiate (0) Jun 14, 2012 New Mexico

I vintage-ized my own Cappuccino Stout. I called it cellaring though. I'm looking forward to trying it, even if a few comments above are discouraging.

9. alex_delany

alex_delany Initiate (0) Apr 29, 2015 New York

Definitely. I suspect the coffee beans were different in terms of origin and quality. Definitely different coffee flavors.

monkeybeerbelly likes this.
  10. Hoppedelic

Hoppedelic Savant (1,041) Dec 6, 2010 California
    Trader

I got one yesterday and had to pour it down the drain. It was heavily oxidized and tasted like wet cardboard and stale sherry. I've never tasted a beer more stale and full of off flavors. Nasty stuff. It's not bad when fresh though. I can't understand why they would release a 2 year old coffee stout. Whoever at Lagunitas tasted that beer and thought it would be ok to release should be fired.

11. raynmoon

raynmoon Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2011 Colorado

probably had pallets of it sitting around and needed a way to make a buck.

12. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Pooh-Bah (1,999) Mar 19, 2012 California
    Pooh-Bah Society

Send to Costco?

monkeybeerbelly and raynmoon like this.
  13. CJNAPS

CJNAPS Initiate (0) Nov 3, 2013 California

I haven't drank the one i have yet, but will let you know once i do. The high west ified was so good they should focus
    on getting more of that out or similar ones.

14. nayrgaijin

nayrgaijin Initiate (0) Oct 15, 2012

Distributors will cellar and release beers as well, so I wouldn't jump the gun on the brewery....

HopsAreDaMan and monkeybeerbelly like this.
  15. Giantspace

Giantspace Pooh-Bah (2,879) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

I will stick with Hi Westy.......Still sitting on a case......so good and so cheap at under $100 a case.......hope its made again this season , maybe a new barrel type.....

Is this just 2014 left over or is it labeled as vintage?

Enjoy

16. mig100

mig100 Pooh-Bah (2,633) Aug 3, 2014 Texas
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

The regular version is one of the biggest shelf turds ever and this "vintagized" version is quickly becoming the same. Wish I had something better to say about it, but it really only looks good on paper.

17. Hoppedelic

Hoppedelic Savant (1,041) Dec 6, 2010 California
    Trader

It's a brewery release. Each bottle has a Lagunitas 2014 "vintage-ized" tag on it claiming some beers get better with age and this one of them. It goes on to say it makes the beer taste more "beery" lol.

FarmerTed and monkeybeerbelly like this.
  18. balmand

balmand Devotee (311) Oct 18, 2015 New Jersey

To each their own but I recall enjoying this one. I have another bottle sitting around so I'll have to revisit it soon

19. juke_cleveland

juke_cleveland Initiate (0) Sep 12, 2014 Indiana

I really don't like lagunitas at all really. I enjoy the hairy eyeball though.... The cappuccino stout was waaay too thin. But at $5, why wouldn't you gamble on the 2014 vintage?? No matter, you still have a high gravity bomber in your hands for $5

20. eppie82

eppie82 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,341) Apr 19, 2015 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I had the Cappuccino Stout on draft and thought it wasn't bad, especially for Lagunitas whos beers I'm generally not a fan of. But, I've never tried it out of bottle and now wonder if it's just one of those beers that ages poorly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.