1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Lagunitas Sucks: 32oz and year round!

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by beerme411, Apr 17, 2012.

1. beerme411

beerme411 Savant (350) California Sep 28, 2010

From http://beerpulse.com/2012/04/laguni...ing-founder-sounds-off-on-craft-beer-industry

"On Lagunitas Sucks (paraphrased):

Lagunitas is also “working hard” to put Lagunitas Sucks in 32 oz. stubby (squat) bottles. “We’re going to cram it in next to the Schlitz malt Liquor and all the ‘Hood beers.’” It will be a year-round release with varied packaging beginning this fall. Gives credit to Les Claypool and Primus who put out bumper stickers that said “Primus Sucks.” Had wanted to do a beer called “Lagunitas Sucks” for 10-12 years and finally had the opportunity when the company ran up against capacity and couldn’t produce some of its usual beers this past winter."

I can't wait for this gloriousness! They listened to us good job Lagunitas.
  2. Way to stay classy Lagunitas.....
    Boz12, yamar68, Aexoonge and 2 others like this.
  3. BB1313

BB1313 Advocate (685) Ohio Jul 16, 2009

Lagunitas is the people's brewery.
  4. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

I'd probably pick a couple up just to reuse the 32oz bottle. It would make a good homebrew growler.
    Beerontwowheels likes this.
  5. I wish this one would have stayed around as an inexpensive 6 pack.
    But, I'm excited to see it back none the less.
  6. This is great news. I just hope it will stay as good as it was this past winter. I love Lagunitas.
    mclaughlindw4, mutmanns and Lantern like this.
  7. pschul4

pschul4 Advocate (615) Illinois Jan 7, 2011

$11 (in Chicago) for the 6er = $5 32oz bottle (I hope!)
  8. Agreed , on both points
  9. litheum94

litheum94 Initiate (0) California Dec 29, 2008

I do agree I'd rather see sixers of this, but this is still awesome news.
  10. MarcM

MarcM Aficionado (115) California Aug 19, 2011

He's quoted as saying "varied packaging," so there's still the possibility of a sixer.
    beerme411 likes this.
  11. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (825) California Nov 16, 2009

Will the top of the bottle taste different from the bottom? HA HA HA.....o_O

Cheers!
    afrokaze and Beerontwowheels like this.
  12. djbreezy

djbreezy Advocate (510) Washington Dec 16, 2008

Ain't nothing but a gangsta party. Hologram 2pac approves.
  13. But the real question... are 32oz bottles more environmentally friendly than a 22oz?
  14. i want it in sixers. Ive come to hate bombers since I usually drink by myself. yea with nobody else.
    Tidesox28, axtm9894, vkv822 and 4 others like this.
  15. canadianghetto

canadianghetto Savant (465) Texas Oct 15, 2011

I am pretty sure he is bullshitting, so we will see... If you read all his responses, he is such full of shit (in a funny way). I wouldn't read too far into this.
    StarRaptor likes this.
  16. Im glad this is happening. I happened to run into the founder a month ago and he told me about this so I posted it on these forums. Then I was thinking I should have shut my mouth, since it wasnt really official and I thought they may have scrapped the idea. I cannot wait for this!
  17. tyrsis

tyrsis Savant (360) California Mar 13, 2009

God, he sounds like such a crotchety old man in this article.
    jamvt likes this.
  18. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

I just hope they distro kegs so my buddy can get one for his kegerator.
  19. Anchor Glass still lists a stubby quart bottle as a standard off-the-shelf bottle and I've wondered who still uses them (Yuengling did up until a few years back, when they went with a long neck quart).

I don't know, I miss the old steinie deposit/reusable quarts* - they were the perfect size for a "dinner" beer. When bombers first got popular and everyone saw them a "Big" beer bottles, I thought, "WTF? It's a rip-off- 2/3 of quart!"

*It was my standard bottle for homebrew back in the 70's and 80's. When I sold most of my homebrewing equipment to a friend's son a couple of years ago, I couldn't bare to get rid of all my steinie quarts- kept the shells and a few bottles, too. Who knows why...

[​IMG]
    ThirstyBird likes this.
  20. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 24, 2007

If this is true, he can just shove it up his "California Artifice" ass. 22's are bad enough, we don't need another MFing format clogging up the shelves.

I don't know if it's my palate that's changed, or if something Lagunitas has changed, but it seems over the 3-5 years, their beers aren't as good tasting to me as they used to be. Except for trying something new when it comes out, I haven't bought any Lagunitas beers in probably 2-3 years. Congrats to them on becoming more successful, and I hope things go well with the Chicago brewery. But seriously, 32oz bottles? Wrap 'em in aluminum and shove 'em.
    Bitterbill likes this.
  21. crossovert

crossovert Champion (765) Illinois Mar 29, 2009

It is close enough to a liter so I like it. It will fit in a big dimpled mug. It would be fun to drink a DIPA from a liter mug.
    abraxel likes this.
  22. FUCK YEAH!!!

Seriously, this shit just made my day!!
    Aexoonge, dcook11 and Lantern like this.
  23. potteryboy

potteryboy Aficionado (130) Alabama Jul 17, 2009

Awesome news. Now if I can only get them to sell it in Alabama!
  24. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Moderator (545) Georgia Feb 12, 2012 Staff Member

I agree.. If it's a bomber, I have to put my wine saver in it, and hit it the next day before it goes. If it's 12oz, I can par take of them as I choose, one at a time without wasting.
  25. xnicknj

xnicknj Advocate (730) Pennsylvania May 25, 2009

now THAT would be amazing.
    pschul4 likes this.
  26. BB1313

I hate bombers as well, but Lagunitas prices their bombers extremely reasonably and the quality is extremely high, so they get a pass from me.
    dazedandconfused and Aexoonge like this.
  27. jdklks

jdklks Savant (365) Nevada Aug 9, 2007

What in the world would be your motivation for "hating" bombers? Do you support a single format for all beers? You must realize how ridiculous that would be. It would cut the amount of beers you have available to you in half (at least).

Anyways, this is great news. Sucks was one of the best new beers last year. Can't wait to do a side by side with Hoptimum if they are ever available fresh at the same time.
  28. Is this real life?
  29. NiceTaps

NiceTaps Savant (460) New Jersey Nov 21, 2011

Lags is letting Sucks go year round? I'll drink to that!
  30. Can't drink less than two beers in a sitting? Guess it is good to moderate...
  31. BB1313

With bombers you're ultimately paying more for less in most cases. It's really just a trick on consumers. But people continue to buy bombers, so they'll continute to put beers in em. 12oz bottles are where it's at.
    vkv822 and Finn like this.
  32. If anything, though, the Nitas has some of the fairest bomber prices in all the land...
  33. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Moderator (545) Georgia Feb 12, 2012 Staff Member

Sure, I can, but not always two of the same damn beers. Some of us like to mix it up and have different thing here and there. Not always are the bombers something I love, and it sucks to drain pour because it tasted like dirt.
  34. Well, do you like Sucks? I would drink 32 oz of it, and based on reputation it should be fairly priced.
  35. Best news I've heard all week.
  36. shand

shand Advocate (625) Florida Jul 13, 2010

I would drink 32 ounces of Sucks. Every night. It sounds absolutely glorious to me. Bring them on!
    Spikester likes this.
  37. Bluecane

Bluecane Initiate (0) New York Dec 30, 2011

We'll change this once finals are over (and maybe after the summer)!!!!
  38. Bluecane

Bluecane Initiate (0) New York Dec 30, 2011

This post combined w/your avatar made me lol. I just pictured/heard that little creature squeaking "Is this real life?"
    yuichituba and brentusaurus like this.
  39. abraxel

abraxel Savant (375) Michigan Aug 28, 2009

Awesome, I missed out on it in sixers but want to try it... I would love to pour 32 oz into one of my liter mugs stolen from German Biergärten...
  40. Etan

Etan Advocate (735) Wisconsin Jul 11, 2011

Some of the things he says in that interview are sorta weird. Like how New Belgium doesn't have a right to brew an IPA because "the things that they did worked very well for them. Why do they have to do what others are doing?" Really? Although I appreciate what he's saying about not using skeevy political routes to gain funding.