1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Lagunitas Sucks 32's = October

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Frankinstiener, May 14, 2013.

1. There have been a few threads about Sucks becoming year round lately. Tony tweeted that this is delayed until the harvest now because they are short one of the hop varieties.

@LagunitasT
    "We won’t be able to let the Sucks 32′s fly until October. W/our other brews growin so this year we’re short on 1 hop. Gotta wait 4 harvest."
  2. mecummins

mecummins Savant (425) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

Disappointing, but understandable. I do appreciate that Lagunitas keeps their consumers updated at least. And I say this as a fan who is patiently (still) waiting for the brewpub/brewery to open here in Chicago.
  3. BrettHead

BrettHead Advocate (525) Nebraska Sep 18, 2010

The taproom opens in June so I heard, so it's coming :)

Looking forward to year-round sucks no matter the format.
  4. Better than nothing!
    Kyrojack and MADhombrewer like this.
  5. Geuzedad

Geuzedad Savant (440) Arizona Nov 14, 2010

That "Sucks".....heheheh.seriously though, this is a great brew. I hope they are able to work it out to go year round in the future. Until then, like everyone here, I will patiently bide my time waiting for the harvest...
    Kyrojack and gjahn123 like this.
  6. It can come out whenever.. I'll be passing on the 32oz format more often than not anyhow. I may buy one of the first batch but after that I'm betting it sits on the shelf just like other dusty Lagunitas bombers I see around me.
  7. I'd like to know what hop they're short on so I can grow a ton of it in my back yard for them
    laglocal, TonyJ815, Kyrojack and 7 others like this.
  8. How about that! I was beginning to think that year-round Sucks was a hoax.
  9. I NEED SUCKS STRAIGHT FROM THE BRITE TANK.
  10. Thads324

Thads324 Savant (390) Connecticut Jan 21, 2010

Yup, I'm glad they at least let everyone know. Now I can concentrate on sumpin sumpin until the fall..,
    laglocal, Doogflaggat and facundoCNB like this.
  11. kbuzz

kbuzz Savant (495) Pennsylvania Jan 22, 2011

Not as big of a fan of this beer as some...but wanted to chime in and just say that I much prefer that breweries stay true to their recipes if they can rather than tweaking just to get bottles into distro (in this case, subbing for a different hop variety)...kudos to Lagunitas here!
  12. They should brew another beer to replace it like they did with Brown Shugga' when they created Sucks. That seemed to work out well. Maybe call it Blows.
  13. And likely to cost almost twice as much per serving than 12 oz bottles. (But don't let @LagunitasT know that pricing effects your beer buying decisions or he may just tell you stop drinking his beer :D)
  14. That's another huge issue. It's rare to see a reasonably priced bomber around here anyways (especially if it's not a local) I have no hope for a larger bottle to not be marked up even more because it has some level of allure. It's too bad because I would have kept the 12 oz bottles in my regular rotation.
    porcorosso likes this.
  15. dan027

dan027 Savant (330) Pennsylvania Mar 28, 2011

so close, yet so far away. can't wait for october
  16. penniwisdom

penniwisdom Initiate (0) California Sep 10, 2010

Don't blame Lagunitas on the bomber to 12oz pricing. They're one of the best @ $4.29 bomber for $9.99 six pack.

Worst offender was when Sculpin was $8.99 for 22oz and $14.99 for 6pack. Simple math = easy decision as to which to purchase.
    obrike and craigo19 like this.
  17. Good for you with that bomber price, I'm not seeing that price here. Also I think you can put at least some blame on Lagunitas. They know how the prices of containers trend. They made a choice, and I blame them for it.
  18. penniwisdom

Not to mention, 32oz is a lot of one beer to open at once. Let's be honest, most of us are going to open it, pour out a pint, close it up and pour a 2nd pint later in the day or evening. The 32oz thing is sort of unnecessary although definitely a novelty and kinda funny for a minute.
    rinhaak likes this.
  19. RangnaR

RangnaR Savant (405) California Dec 17, 2012

So the label would say Lagunitas Blows Brown Shugga Substitute Subsitute Ale?
  20. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

rofl - most of us are going to do that?
    mrkdwrds, Pahn, Falcone and 14 others like this.
  21. davey101

davey101 Initiate (0) Connecticut Apr 14, 2009

Not me. I'm gonna be doming them when they get released.
  22. penniwisdom

Right on. Guess I'm not crushing beers as hard as you guys. Or maybe its the fact that I'm posting this around noon on a weekday.
    tronester likes this.
  23. evilc

Drinking 2 pints is "crushing beers"?
  24. do they come in 32oz sixers? Price?
    Prince_Casual and cavedave like this.
  25. evilc

6 pack Milk Crates!
    dustinjkline and JuniperJesus like this.
  26. Except they are $7 and $11 around here. So $1.83 for 12oz Sucks vs. $3.50 for 11 ozs Hop Stoopid. Not blaming Lagunitas, its just the reality of the situation in the Boston market (and others). May not make a difference if you are only going to buy one or two bombers - but I bought 120 bottles of Sucks this year. The difference in price on that would be $200.
    MeBeerGood, tzieser and beerindaglass like this.
  27. Except they're $7 bombers here. Not lagunitas's fault, but still. shit pricing
  28. beerindaglass

beerindaglass Savant (300) Florida Feb 20, 2013

The more I think about it, the more stupid I think a 32 oz. bottle is. Someone pegged it perfectly before as a novelty. And a lame one at that. Just got to try this great beer and then they pull this stunt. What a rip.

What's wrong with 22oz if you're not supplying a 12oz. pack option? It's a perfect weekday amount.
    MeBeerGood likes this.
  29. Anyone know if the six packs will be back again?
  30. whiskey

whiskey Savant (330) California Feb 25, 2012

They said they're doing it so home brewers can use the bottle.
  31. So what you're saying is they still have 5 months to rethink this 32oz. bottle...
    arniepnminne and penniwisdom like this.
  32. penniwisdom

it's a screw off cap, isn't it? homebrewers can't use screw off caps to my knowledge. i mean you could I suppose...but it's not the same. oxygen can probably get in easier once they've been popped.
  33. mpayne5

mpayne5 Advocate (545) Indiana Aug 18, 2011

Distribute to Indiana already. This will be my perfect party beer!
    BigJim5021 likes this.
  34. beerindaglass

beerindaglass Savant (300) Florida Feb 20, 2013

That's an even dumber reason. What % of people who purchased Sucks last yr. homebrew?
  35. it should be full 1l bottles, but so it goes.
  36. and if you can't enjoy 32 oz of sucks, don't buy it, because you are a bad person and should feel bad.
    laglocal, ElGallo, BrettHead and 3 others like this.
  37. whiskey

whiskey Savant (330) California Feb 25, 2012

I emailed Lagunitas when they announced the 32oz bottles would be coming asking them why thy would choose this format, and that 6 packs were such a better value and more versatile. A rep responded via email saying that 32's are a favorite size of home brewers and that's why they are doing, so home brewers could reuse them. I'll look for the email when I get to my laptop.
  38. Can't wait to play Edward Thirtytwohands with these.
  39. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (370) New York Jul 16, 2011

:oops:

october? ya know, I am a patient woman.... good things come to those who wait.
    I love sucks soooo much...... could easily put away 32 oz
  40. Love the idea so long as the price is comparable to the six packs
    Spikester likes this.