1. The BeerAdvocate Store is back! Pre-order your stuff now. Items begin shipping Dec 15. Christmas deadline = Dec 18 @ 5pm EST.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Lagunitas Sucks 32's = October

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Frankinstiener, May 14, 2013.

1. t420o

t420o Advocate (520) California Jul 16, 2009

You guys are awesome at Lagunitas, and I really like that you will actually get on the forum and speak to the consumers. Forgive me for asking, but are you still doing 6 packs of Sucks? I'm great with the 32 oz.'s, but HIGHLY prefer the 6-pack format.

2. Tony, thank you for taking the time to put together that thoughtful post.

I am sure that you are making decisions based upon many factors; what is good for the brewery and the brewery’s employees. I recognize that Lagunitas beer customers are just one of the vested interested parties that factor into your decision making. The best that I can do is to encourage you to continue to listen to us (your customers) as you grow the Lagunitas business.

I truly wish you and your employees continued success in your business ventures. I assure you that I will continue to purchase the wonderful products that you produce: Little Sumpin Sumpin and other of your beers that are available in 12 ounce bottles.

Cheers!

Jack

3. 100% support 22 oz bottles. It's insane the outrage over ounce cost when it is trivial.

I can't count how many times I wish I could sit on the couch without having to run to the fridge for to refill another puny 12 oz IPA.

I wish all IPA's came in 32 oz, the fact one of the best of all time is the first, all the better.

Spikester, dedbeer and BSW like this.
  4. $9 novelty bottles (once they make it to me around Boston)? Pass. I think alot of people will think the same after buying a bottle or 2.

I like the beer, I really do. And I like Lagunitas' business philosophy for the most part. But I think this vanity project is misguided.

hardy008, HawkIPA and beertunes like this.
  5. shawnohall

shawnohall Savant (330) Texas Nov 8, 2009

A $6.50 32-ouncer of Sucks, which is what the owner, Tony, was estimating, is equivalent, per ounce, to a $4.47 bomber. That price, for a beer as good as Sucks? Jesus, people. Quit your bitching.

nickmantia, Pelican5, bld81 and 34 others like this.
  6. rather

rather Savant (305) California May 31, 2013

i heard from a rep they putting them in32s partly for home brewers to re use

7. Can't wait for this...

Can't drink 32oz in a sitting? How do you say....?

More dancing room for me? Lagunitas sucks more for me?

8. Danny1217

Danny1217 Advocate (655) Florida Jul 15, 2011

I know that's what I'm excited for

9. shawnohall

If the price is seen as out-of-line to some, they can wait and buy six-packs.

Spikester likes this.
  10. shawnohall

More kalculatin': The $6.50 estimate for the 32 oz. is based on a $4.99 bomber. In Texas, you can get a bomber of Hop Stoopid for $3.99- 20% less. If you discounted the 32 oz. 20%, that would cost $5.20, which is equivalent to an $11.70 six-pack. If that turns out to be the case, all I can say is "hell yeah!!".

OK, I'm done beating this dead horse.

11. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

Who cares about form factor? I'm buying this shit by the case.

Qbdoo, Spikester, regularjohn and 5 others like this.
  12. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) New York Jan 11, 2013

It will cost you more PDF ounce but make no mistake, it will be cheaper than other large format like products. Gotta give Lagunitas credit where credit is due. Their bombers are relatively cheap

Spikester likes this.
  13. At least 1 person does.

14. I was actually pretty excited about this for homebrew purposes when I first heard about the 32oz bottle.

BigCheese and MinorThreat like this.
  15. These 32's will be distributed to all their normal markets, correct?

16. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

This is the greatest thing ever.

17. I don't know the answer to your question but here's another - did it ever occur to you that perhaps more homebrewers would be convinced to buy some Sucks for the beer AND the 32 oz. bottles?

18. WTKeene

WTKeene Advocate (580) Texas Jul 13, 2013

Am I the only one who would buy good beer regardless of how much it costs? I paid $12/can for my Heady Topper and that was totally worth it. I don't mind spending more for fantastic beer, and I'll probably do that for Lagunitas Sucks too.

nickmantia and KhakCane like this.
  19. BeerGreg

BeerGreg Savant (465) Illinois May 17, 2013

Of course not. But it's also completely understandable that some people are priced out.

Dracarys likes this.
  20. tholm273

tholm273 Aficionado (165) Wisconsin Nov 13, 2009

You had me at Sucks.....

DanH83 likes this.
  21. I think maybe also this could make this format available to nanos or smaller micros who didn't have the clout to get a bottle manufacturer to make this size bottle? Don't know if the bottle will be proprietary or not, but it would be cool if Tony didn't bogart it, though of course he certainly has the right to, having probably paid quite a bit for the development of the molds or whatever the infrastructure is at the manufacturer. But it has tended to be his style not to do that sort of thing...it's not like his bottles have a porprietary stamp like widmer or red hook or new belgium

22. Handle

Handle Savant (395) North Carolina Mar 16, 2009

I appreciate Tony's reasoning for putting it in the 32 oz. format, but unfortunately that means I'll never buy it.

23. Roudy

Roudy Savant (320) Georgia Aug 20, 2009

This homebrewer will as well. I already use bombers exclusively, and the 32 oz bottles mean fewer bottles to clean/sanitize. I won't keg homebrew because I need the portability of the bottles.

Keffa, PsilohsaiBiN and Tieman like this.
  24. With all due respect, that leaves more for the rest of us. ^^/

p.s. May the beer Gods smile on you.

KhakCane, Dakotah, cnbrown313 and 2 others like this.
  25. There's been discussion of this happening for the past year. Is this finally going to happen?

26. lokieman

lokieman Savant (475) Oklahoma Jan 20, 2011

All I know is...I REALLY miss Sucks. I mean a like a lot...

27. BadJustin

BadJustin Savant (265) New York Dec 18, 2010

+1

Keffa likes this.
  28. Handle

Handle Savant (395) North Carolina Mar 16, 2009

Go for it! Sucks is fantastic, but there aren't many beers I'd buy in that format.

Fortunately there's not exactly a dearth of quality IPAs out there.

hardy008 likes this.
  29. DogTown

DogTown Savant (260) California May 17, 2006

The 32 oz bottle is going to graze unbranded in the commons. There is a nice 22oz bottle with a Belgian bottle sort of shoulder that we worked out with St Gobain glass, same company making the 32oz, that we didn't try to control. It's good for the glass company as well cuz it gives them something a little different to offer.

30. DrewLikesBeer

DrewLikesBeer Savant (335) Florida Jul 16, 2013

there's the answer to that southdenverhoo...solid move. i'll be looking for the 32's for sure.

also awesome thread, love the dialogue.

ChipMurray likes this.
  31. To all the haters...Please HATE this beer. Hate the format. Hate the bottle. Hate the taste. Hate the label. HATE IT ALL!!!! I will buy the beer you leave on the shelf. That is a promise!

32. Shhh, don't tell them... ;)

33. o hell yeah! I'm gonna buy a case!

34. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) New York Jan 11, 2013

Some of us have regard for good sense. Don't hold yourself that way.

YogiBeer likes this.
  35. Geez, this new bottle format that promises a few things while entertaining the bosses humor over its chilling with ole Iggy and the gang has people worked up to a frothy level. The size will be great for its portability, re-usablity, and what doors it opens up for the other breweries who might want to dig on the 32 oz for it's options. No more baby pours for the gang!

Spikester and Scalzo like this.
  36. pixieskid

pixieskid Advocate (660) Germany Jun 4, 2009

I have never seen anyone complain about Lagunitas pricepoints until this thread, but totally agree with you in regards to them having the most reasonable pricepoint. I am blown away that people are complaining about 6.5 for a big ass bottle of an awesome IPA/DIPA.

Their entire portfolio of bombers, to my knowlege is an average of 5 bucks on the westcoast. Sure, by the time it gets to the East Coast its higher, but that is to be expected. How many other good breweries have their bombers at that.

37. jcb7472

jcb7472 Savant (470) Florida Jul 13, 2011

Just give me this beer. I could care less about the format, size, or price (to a point). Just bottle it and send it to Florida ASAP. Thanks! :)

38. BrettHead

BrettHead Advocate (535) Nebraska Sep 18, 2010

Doesn't have the hops until contracts kick in this October

39. Ive said it before and I'll say it again. I cant wait to play edward sucksy hands with two 32oz bottles.

40. DrewLikesBeer

DrewLikesBeer Savant (335) Florida Jul 16, 2013

i know what you mean, i already have it planned out.