1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Lagunitas Sucks Brown Shugga Substitute Ale is on the way

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by otispdriftwood, Dec 12, 2012.

1. PourGuy

PourGuy Disciple (50) Illinois Dec 28, 2012

It's here in Chicago-land! I'm so glad they brought this one back. Looks like many stores only got 2 cases. Sure seems like a "Limited Release" as stated on the bottle.

2. jplopez21

jplopez21 Advocate (560) Illinois Nov 14, 2012

I went to the binnys in plainfield but they didn't have any. And they also ran out of central waters bourbon barrel stout. Luckily another ba pointed me to the whole foods in Naperville who not only had sucks (had to ask guy stocking for some)-, but they also had cw bourbon barrel in stock. Double score

3. SeaOfShells

SeaOfShells Savant (350) California Feb 22, 2011

I snatched up two six packs at Green Jug in Woodland Hills, CA last night. They had gotten it mere hours earlier.

4. dianimal

dianimal Savant (455) California Apr 18, 2012

Any in San Diego yet? I haven't seen it, and my main bottle shop guy even told me it's not coming back...

5. teamwiggum

teamwiggum Advocate (525) Wisconsin Nov 30, 2008

Saw a large display of it earlier today, guess I better get back there tomorrow and grab a couple 6 packs.

6. beerborn

beerborn Savant (345) Georgia Jan 22, 2012

Had this on Christmas Day... good stuff

7. BoRaeCho

BoRaeCho Savant (250) California Nov 25, 2010

Im not telling because I want to buy it all up for myself (shiteating grin).

8. 1424IpA

1424IpA Savant (395) California Nov 2, 2012

This beer is very good for the record...available in central cali bevmo for 8.99 a sixer.

9. jplopez21

jplopez21 Advocate (560) Illinois Nov 14, 2012

Just had it last night. Imo way better than Brown sugga. Honestly probably one of the best lagunitas beers I've had.

1424IpA likes this.
  10. dawatts

dawatts Savant (310) Massachusetts Dec 27, 2006

Still no sightings in the northeast. Not on the MA south shore anyway.

11. It's in MN.
    I just got mine straight off the truck! :D

12. kirok1999

kirok1999 Savant (385) Ohio Jun 19, 2005

Insanely jealous of all you who have gotten this nectar. With this and the upcoming release of Hopslam, I really need to do something nice for my liver.

13. RockAZ

RockAZ Savant (320) Arizona Jan 6, 2009

This is one of the very best Lagunitas beers I have ever had, fragrant hops, light mouthfeel, dry, and it hides that higher alcohol well. Trying to get a keg now.....

14. ditka311

ditka311 Aficionado (170) Illinois Aug 22, 2009

I as at Dominicks of all places and ever since I got a couple twelvers of Tumbler for 50% off I check every time I am there for something similar. To my surprise I see Lagunitas Sucks. I was going to N Wisconsin to visit the inlaws and load up on WI beers (which means the wife would not be happy for buying more beer pre-trip) but couldn't pass it up. Even priced well at 8.99.

So glad I grabbed it. Awesome beer.

15. That's a steal. I hope you grabbed 2.

16. ditka311

ditka311 Aficionado (170) Illinois Aug 22, 2009

They had 4 and I grabbed one. I want to kick my own ass for that now.

17. josephwa

josephwa Advocate (600) Minnesota Jun 4, 2012

Very nice! Where did you find it at?

18. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Champion (810) New York Dec 13, 2009

it did last time and kegs are already in town. i'm waiting on bottles though. can't wait! should be pretty soon since i heard shortly after the new year.

jaIsPoAn likes this.
  19. ive killed 6 6packs already!!!!! stuffs great

DJButters likes this.
  20. ChazMania

ChazMania Savant (255) California Jun 13, 2006

I went to BevMo in Oceanside - no go, so I drove to Whole Foods Encinitas - no go. Where to find the Sucks in North County????

21. Scottmachen

Scottmachen Initiate (15) Jan 3, 2013

Lagunitas allocates this current seasonal. I sell their beer and you will only get it for a short time. Only 2 cases per grocery store.

22. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (935) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

It's damn good. Caught me of guard like Founders Harvest Ale did. Awesome.

23. i live in Chapel Hill NC, the whole foods got 100 cases!! i walked around the corner from the produce and said out loud " HOLY SHIT"...they have a huge endcap display. i bought a case.

lonewolfcry likes this.
  24. Helo. I love all things BA forums.
    100 cases of Sucks at a Whole Foods? I'd like to see a picture of that before I even come close to believing that. Sorry. Thanks.

25. i definitely prefer sucks from the bottle, had today on tap and its a lot more fruitier, the bottle is a lot more hop forward.

26. Why would someone lie about something like that?

27. I'm hoping to get a rather healthy amount of this stuff but it seems that the distributors are dragging their feet on me. Or perhaps they're feeding me lines to make me feel like I have a shot at getting some in. That seems to happen a lot around here across the distribution board.

dawatts likes this.
  28. Hello. I doubt any Whole Foods has 100 cases of beer in stock, let alone 100 cases of 1 type of beer. Thanks.

29. Seasonal? I thought that this year it was going to year round.

30. Any sightings in Western PA?

31. Ricelikesbeer

Ricelikesbeer Savant (350) Colorado Nov 29, 2006

Picked up some in Denver, CO. I'm pleasently surprised! It was pretty awesome. The citrus flavors are amazing. When I saw such a high starting gravity with only 60 or so ibu's, I was skeptical, but this one is really good and balanced! Well worth the ten bucks.

32. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

Nowhere NEAR as good as brown shugga... Yall are crazy. I had a bunch of both this year. My opinion is way more right than yours.

KevinGordon likes this.
  33. Redstone Liquors in Stoneham, MA just got some in.

34. jcb7472

jcb7472 Savant (445) Florida Jul 13, 2011

I was at Total Wine & More in Fort Lauderdale on New Year's Day and picked up some Cigar City Florida Cracker White Ale cans for tailgating ($7.99 a 6-pack). I asked the manager if they had Lagunitas Sucks yet and he said it's coming on the next truck - not this Thursday, but the next Thursday. I have been patiently waiting and plan to be there in 3 days to grab a case and enjoy this weekend.

35. nachos

nachos Aficionado (215) Minnesota Jun 4, 2012

Hello. I am sorry that the Whole Foods you go to sucks. You should find a better one. Mine easily has at least 50 cases of just Brooklyn Black Chocolate stout. Thanks!

Schwantz likes this.
  36. Where's the 32 oz swing top???

37. MarcM

MarcM Aficionado (125) California Aug 19, 2011

Let me tell you something. As someone that doesn't go apeshit over every IPA I try. I can drink this stuff every day of the year.

cosmicevan likes this.
  38. fritts211

fritts211 Savant (285) Tennessee Feb 19, 2011

Anyone find this in Louisville KY? Sorry if this is a thread jack, but being new to the area and exhausting my internet searches, I have to ask. Hope it's as good as last year (but probably not, because last year was LAST YEAR, which is always better ;)).

39. Anyone see it in Spartanburg SC area?