1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Lagunitas Sucks Brown Shugga Substitute Ale is on the way

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by otispdriftwood, Dec 12, 2012.

1. Just had my first HopSlam, and think think I agree with you. Even if the price tag was switched!
    I'll probably get a few more Sucks while it's still here and infuckincredible!

Might get one more HopSlam...maybe but I kinda doubt it now.

highdesertdrinker likes this.
  2. I bought one sixer last Saturday at the TW in Tucson and I regretted not buying another after just two sips. Sumpin is good but this is sublime and dangerously drinkable as per the previous posters.:D

3. tx_beer_man

tx_beer_man Savant (265) Texas Jan 22, 2013

Yep. As good as Sugga is, I'm happy for the 2011 fallout.

highdesertdrinker likes this.
  4. Went to the store to buy some Nugget Nectar and left with a case of Sucks instead. $40. Got some chillin now. Can't wait to bust some caps later!

5. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (915) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

Yep its basically twice as many Sucks for the price of one of Hopslam. It's hard to argue with that if you only had $20 to spend between the two of them.

6. In eastern MD sucks is only slightly less expensive than nn was last year. That being said, sucks beats Pliny, nn, and just about every other hop monster I've ever had.

raynmoon and lonewolfcry like this.
  7. Alexmc2

Alexmc2 Savant (350) New Hampshire Jul 29, 2006

This beer is great. Anyone have experience brewing a clone yet?

Bitter_Echo likes this.
  8. DrewV

DrewV Aficionado (175) New York Mar 30, 2011

How the hell is everyone getting Sucks for $10-11?? Around here (Buffalo, NY), it's $12.50/sixer.

I'm spending $50/case, but loving every minute of it. I sure as sh!t wish I could get it for $40 like the rest of you guys. This REALLY sucks!

9. tx_beer_man

Picked up two sixers at my local specs. 11 bux.

10. BeastLU

BeastLU Advocate (540) Virginia Dec 20, 2012

Paid 35.64 out the door for a case last week after the case discount. 8.99 a sixer regularly.

11. Bought my first six pack of Sucks yesterday, had my second bottle today while having some lunch. VERY satisfied with this beer. Cost me $10 plus change here in Chicagoland. I like it better than Hopslam even (first time this year as well)

12. Jacob007

Jacob007 Savant (455) New Hampshire Sep 18, 2012

Working though my second case! So tastey

13. scootsmal

scootsmal Savant (260) New York Aug 15, 2012

Paid 53 for a case at Glenville Beverage. Worth every penny.

14. ESeab

ESeab Advocate (505) New Jersey Jan 3, 2013

I only have one bottle left :(. I Was actually surprised to find a six pack of it, shared one with a co-worker and gave one to a friend I was staying with. I hope they liked it as much as I do.

15. Are batches of this stuff still being produced or is it pretty much over and done with?

16. I wouldn't care if they never made Brown Shugga again. Sucks whoops its ass handily, it's not even close.

CyPotter likes this.
  17. Thecherryman

Thecherryman Initiate (0) Arizona Dec 8, 2010

Best ipa to hit Arizona shelves.

18. jcb7472

jcb7472 Savant (470) Florida Jul 13, 2011

I'm wondering this too....

19. That is a lot of goodness right there

20. I definitely like both. Just picked up 2 6ers of Sucks last night cause I was running out. Also having had both Sucks and Brown Shugga, I tend to agree that Brown Shugga was slightly better. Both are amazing, but 1 has 9.99% ABV

21. Stoutish

Stoutish Zealot (90) California Jan 1, 2013

I have a case left at my store in Temecula, CA 9.99 a sixer. No limit on amount.

22. Aaaannnnnd Hopslam slaughters both, so it doesn't really matter. End thread, ty!

23. its almost an apples to oranges comparison though.
    I wont argue Hopslam is the shit. Had it on draft twice yesterday :-D

PsilohsaiBiN likes this.
  24. coronajm

coronajm Aficionado (240) Ohio Jan 4, 2010

Or they could continue to make both... which is the plan. Yes, that will be better.

25. The most recent brewed batch I've seen in my area is 1/15. Would love to be able to have this stuff fresh through the end of the month.

26. I live in bakersfield and seen nothing. Its so frustrating because our distributors are out of all the lagunitas products .

27. tx_beer_man

Yep, I had Hopslam (acq through trade) and SUCKS back-to-back. Consensus is Slams takes the hop title but SUCKS takes the taste test.

28. I live out by sag harbor on the south fork. Got it at my beer place for $10. Steal of the century!

29. WBD

WBD Zealot (95) South Carolina Feb 3, 2013

I paid eight bucks per growler at bottles in mt. Pleasant SC for sucks. Great deal for a wonderful brew.

30. WBD

WBD Zealot (95) South Carolina Feb 3, 2013

64 oz ones

31. DrewV

DrewV Aficionado (175) New York Mar 30, 2011

Well damn, I wish I could score some for $8.99 around here, but it's ridiculously overpriced in our local stores at $12.49 for a sixer. I guess it COULD be worse.... like some folks around here they can't even get any in their area. That really WOULD "Suck". I like my beers, but just knowing it's 30% more expensive here in Buffalo makes me a bit angry. I mean Buffalo isn't really a high-rent district. It's pretty depressed around here, but beer is priced at a premium. Go figure.

32. Yep, no brainer! In VA...$10/6'er Sucks Brown Shugga Ale.

Cubatobaco likes this.
  33. Cubatobaco

Cubatobaco Advocate (650) Virginia Jan 27, 2013

Where are you in VA? I pay $8.99 in Newport News/VA Beach.

34. raynmoon

raynmoon Advocate (575) California Aug 13, 2011

I just finished my 6th 6-pack of Sucks and I'm getting this empty aching feeling...

...I miss Sucks.

KevinGordon likes this.
  35. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (870) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

Sagnasty! Don't miss living there.

36. hard to disagree with this. Sucks is a great fuckin beer. And it wont cost you 40 dollars for 12 of them. Plus Sucks is everywhere. I can go get it on tap, or get it in most beer shops. Actually its sold out in Durham but its still all over Chapel Hill

tx_beer_man likes this.
  37. dertyd

dertyd Savant (400) California Mar 23, 2010

Just got it in at my liquor store can't wait to pop the top on theese I loved it last year and I'm sure ill love it this year also

38. SenorHops

SenorHops Savant (385) Rhode Island Aug 10, 2010

I paid $10.:eek:

39. Jacob007

Jacob007 Savant (455) New Hampshire Sep 18, 2012

Just bought my third case , love it. Cheapest case, 63, 46, 39.99

40. Almost done with my third as well :) Forty-five bucks a hit...this will be my go-to beer for as long as its around (in six packs). A lot of people try to compare it against Hopslam...Not only do I think it blows hopslam out of the water..its the same price as two-hearted! It's hard to buy anything else while this is an option.

Cubatobaco likes this.