1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Lagunitas Sucks Brown Shugga Substitute Ale is on the way

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by otispdriftwood, Dec 12, 2012.

1. So good on tap!!! more plz!

cnbrown313 likes this.
  2. TheMonkfish

TheMonkfish Initiate (0) Chad Jan 8, 2012

I thought that Hopslam was out of this world good (I had to trade for it, again) and I totally agree that so long as this is on the shelves that all others will have to wait. Love this stuff - I just hope that the the east doesn't have to wait for the Chicago facility to come online before the 32 ouncers become a year-round option.

beerFool28607 likes this.
  3. szmnnl99

szmnnl99 Advocate (680) Michigan Apr 3, 2006

Are they still going to release 12 oz'ers seasonally?

4. Cubatobaco

Cubatobaco Advocate (630) Virginia Jan 27, 2013

I really hope that this stuff finds it's way to be year 'round. What a QPR!

5. Geuzedad

Geuzedad Savant (475) Arizona Nov 14, 2010

This beer sucks!!!! In a good way..you know...a GOOD way..hehe. I would put this up against Hopslam any day. This beer would be great as a year round brew but it is in my regular rotation when available regardless.

6. Focusf111

Focusf111 Savant (340) Vermont Jun 21, 2012

I've been drowning in it for the past month ;)

7. tx_beer_man

tx_beer_man Savant (260) Texas Jan 22, 2013

Agreed. I have maybe 6 more and the hops definitely starting to fade, but still a power bomb.

8. Even when Lagunitas f***s something up it is pretty good!!

9. gpcollen1

gpcollen1 Savant (425) Connecticut Jul 16, 2005

Fresh kegs of Sucks and Sumpin Sumpin about to hit the draft lines...cannot wait...

TychoNDC likes this.
  10. tx_beer_man

Lucky you

11. I had my first Hopslam and my first Sucks this year and I thought Sucks was a slight step down from Hopslam; of course, that could have something to do with the fact that the Hopslam I had was a growler and the Sucks was in a bottle. Good beer for sure, but my vote goes to Hopslam.

DubbelTrubbel and Geuzedad like this.
  12. szmnnl99

szmnnl99 Advocate (680) Michigan Apr 3, 2006

Anyone?

13. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Moderator (640) Georgia Feb 12, 2012 Staff Member

I tell ya what.. The Sucks I have right now is kickin' some ass good.
    I have some Hopslam and it's a good beer, but the flavor of Sucks is just so juicy and good..

If someone sat me down and said I could have a Hopslam or a Sucks.. I'm takin the sucks.

14. Chris77McGrath

Chris77McGrath Savant (280) Ohio Feb 8, 2013

Picked some up this weekend, first time having it, very good IPA.

15. dertyd

dertyd Savant (400) California Mar 23, 2010

I get cases for 30 bucks even its great working at a liquor store hahahahaha can't wait to crack some of theeses bad boys open

Geuzedad likes this.
  16. TychoNDC

TychoNDC Savant (370) New York Jan 7, 2013

We seem to be losing our supply out on LI. I'll have to check around the area this weekend as I'm down to my last two bottles...

On the bright side, Little Sumpin' Sumpin' was on tap at my local store recently and they've been getting in fresh sixers of it. Not a bad transition.

17. DrewV

DrewV Aficionado (175) New York Mar 30, 2011

I'm totally okay with Lagunitas not releasing Sucks all year round. Just as long as they keep it coming in the regular rotation. I like variety, and NONE of their beers are bad. So, even without Sucks, I'll be happy with Brown Shugga, Undercover Shutdown, Lucky 13, Maximus, etc. All delicious.

prock180 likes this.
  18. TheBrewo

TheBrewo Advocate (700) Michigan Nov 11, 2010

Drinking it right now as we speak. Must restock.

19. Sucks has been tough to find in my area and fresh Sumpin made for a good substitute last weekend. The two are fairly similar imo.

20. TychoNDC

I agree. I was actually surprised how similar I found them, having not had Sumpin' Sumpin' before.

21. I drank citra and this side by side and i
    Chose this by a Hair. I bought a case and my fridge is full but i need more!!!!

Geuzedad likes this.
  22. Where you at on the Island brother? Still on the shelves over my way.

TychoNDC likes this.
  23. TychoNDC

I'm out on the north shore by Stony Brook. My local shop got a case or two in just last week, which was nice to say. It's starting to lose a bit of its hop punch but remains extremely delicious.

TdLJg likes this.
  24. fuzzbalz

fuzzbalz Savant (385) Georgia Apr 13, 2002

Just saw the new edition of the New Beer Guide from Brewhound and it has the release of "Lagunitas Sucks Quarts" slated for 10/1/2013:D

25. fuzzbalz

fuzzbalz Savant (385) Georgia Apr 13, 2002

Sorry about the misspelling it was from a "Brewbound" news letter.

26. 1fJef

1fJef Aficionado (175) Maryland May 4, 2013

That should be declared a national holiday!

jrnyc likes this.
  27. OH HELL YES

28. rgordon

rgordon Savant (370) North Carolina Apr 26, 2012

This beer is not describable. Right when you think it to be cloyingly sweet it fans out into some roastiness and balance that remains intriguing. I like to drink two of these and talk politics and religion.

29. Givemebeer

Givemebeer Savant (455) Vermont Apr 6, 2013

My favorite IPA...

30. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Champion (815) New York Dec 13, 2009

humana humana humana

GoGators likes this.
  31. funny how this beer wasn't insanely popular it's first year, but from what I understand the recipe changed a bit and the second year's version was a more intense beer.

32. I was introduced to Brown Shugga by my old roommate, and we loved it...then I happened to stumble across Sucks one day, read the label, and then it was off from there. Next time I went to that store, it was gone. Shoulda bought more.

Sucks.

tx_beer_man likes this.
  33. Can't wait for this. Picked up a 6er of Maximus this past weekend and was thinking 'damn i wish this was Sucks'

jrnyc and mc4z like this.
  34. tx_beer_man

Seriously, quarts of SUCKS!??!?!?!?? YES.

Duane_Opfer and hoppytobehere like this.
  35. It was insanely popular the first year. It was the popularity of the first year that drove the hype of the second year.

ChipMurray and Rollzroyce21 like this.
  36. marshmeli

marshmeli Savant (425) New York Feb 14, 2012

I also think it tasted better the 2nd year, way better than the 1st year IMO

MrDave likes this.
  37. dawg1969

dawg1969 Aficionado (140) Florida Aug 9, 2010

Like it but my heart goes to Brown Shugga every time. It was a long and tough winter when it wasn't brewed and Sucks just couldn't fill the void.

Rick760Sd likes this.
  38. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Advocate (615) Iowa Jan 12, 2013

39. PlayaPlaya

PlayaPlaya Savant (285) Illinois Sep 19, 2012

Tony said a few days ago that Sucks would only be in Cali for the time being this year.....

Until the Chicago brewery can finally start producing beer, then Sucks will be distro'd out.

40. Sucks is on the way? So's Christmas. Something tells me Christmas will be here first.

hoppytobehere likes this.