1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Lagunitas Sucks hops?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by SenorHops, Jan 20, 2013.

1. SenorHops

SenorHops Savant (385) Rhode Island Aug 10, 2010

What are your perceptions as to what hops are used in Lagunitas Sucks? Citra, simcoe? Discuss.
  2. TheMonkfish

TheMonkfish Initiate (0) Chad Jan 8, 2012

I am certain that it is an all Magnum beer. 1 oz at start of boil, 3 oz at flameout and 12 oz dry hop for 26 days. ;)
  3. cmac1705

cmac1705 Aficionado (245) Florida Apr 30, 2010

If it's like any other beer from them, it's likely a smorgasbord of American hops. I definitely get some dank, cattiness that I associate with Citra or Simcoe. Wouldn't be surprised if there was Cascade, Centennial, Chinook, CTZ, Amarillo, and/or Willamette. That's just how they do.
  4. sarcastro

sarcastro Savant (405) Michigan Sep 20, 2006

I am pretty sure it is all citra or mostly citra. I havent had it, but I remember hearing that.
  5. My guess after tasting would be a blend of simcoe/citra but I'm no expert.
  6. SenorHops

I definitely also detect centennial in this beer.
  7. Drinking it now. Centennial/Cascade/Chinook in the boil plus Citra/Simcoe/Amarillo in the whirlpool/dry hop.

The most ridiculous thing about this beer is that it finishes around 1.025.
  8. Timmush

Timmush Savant (330) New Jersey Jan 5, 2008

I got some onion in it (I am very sensitive to this flavor) That almost always means summit hops to me. But I could be wrong.
  9. Mfedonczak

Mfedonczak Aficionado (190) Florida Aug 18, 2008

I thought the f.g. was crazy too. It doesnt really seem too sweet though until it warms up.
  10. AlCaponeJunior

AlCaponeJunior Champion (790) Texas May 21, 2010

Primus really should make a commercial for this beer :D
  11. FarmerTed

FarmerTed Savant (285) Colorado May 31, 2011

I get a little bit of onion (which I like), but I have a feeling it's Columbus. They use a shit-ton of it in Hop Stoopid, so it wouldn't surprise me if it showed up in Sucks. The first time I poured one of these, the aroma reminded me of Wookey Jack, so I'm thinking that Amarillo and Citra are in there, too.
  12. SenorHops

I, personally, have never gotten onion from Columbus. The aroma in sucks is a ton of cat pee to me and I get fruit and citrus from Wookey Jack.
  13. SenorHops

Do you have some inside info on this hop bill?
  14. No, that was just a guess and I don't necessarily think ALL those hops are in it. I could see some columbus late in the boil as well. If there is any summit, it's not much.
  15. AlCaponeJunior

AlCaponeJunior Champion (790) Texas May 21, 2010

I get no onion from hop stoopid, and I drink that one a lot. It's cheap and it's a great beer.

But then I get no cat-pee from citra either. Even a heavily hopped all citra beer I once had, I got no cat pee.

I have used columbus hops before several times. I like them. I have a feeling that my pallet might not be sharp enough to pick out specific hops in commercial beers yet tho. Maybe I need to make more smash beers :rolleyes:
  16. Lagunitas is well-known for their proclivity towards mashing much hotter than most for hop forward beers (158-160 degrees). This gives a bunch of dextrins which it lend a big mouthfeel and high FG, but dextrins aren't perceived as being particularly sweet.
  17. This looks like a pretty solid first attempt. Gonna have to try this one out myself.
    AlCaponeJunior likes this.
  18. I think it's a little darker than 6 SRM, I'd go maybe 8 or 9. I definitely think there is crystal in this beer as well, especially with a FG that high. Based on flavor, I'd guess Crystal 40.
  19. ^^
    I disagree. I think the lack of crystal in the recipe is probably pretty accurate. I don't taste the caramelized character that C-malts bring to IPAs. I think the mix or wheat and oats with a high mash temp is a good shot at getting the cottony- body and high FG. To my palette it has that perceived sweetness that fruity hops (especially Centennial/Citra/Amarillo) contribute form KO additions. It just isn’t THAT malty sweet for finishing in the 20s….
  20. ZAP

ZAP Advocate (725) Minnesota Dec 1, 2001

Totally get the same thing and my guess would be summit as well although Citra can do it as well depending on how it is used in the boil...i am also very sensitive to that onion/garlic flavor..
  21. ^I get that too, although it is something I like in my IPAs (in moderation). I kinda' think of mushroom too...

Anyhoo, it can come from Columbus, Wilamette, Apollo, and to lesser degrees in Chinook too. At least to my palette.
  22. SeaOfShells

SeaOfShells Savant (350) California Feb 22, 2011

I detect Citra and Simcoe, but what do I know? Some friends have said it smells like "cat piss" which is a dead giveaway for Simcoe.

Edit: I just sent an email to Lagunitas. I've been meaning to ask them this anyway. I'll update when I get a response.
    mountsnow1010 likes this.
  23. Onion/Garlic is due to how late the hops were harvested and growing conditions. Also if sulfur was used on the fields in fungicides. For high AA hops, they sometimes leave them late to drive up the AA. The sulfur compounds boil off if used as bittering. So it depends on the hop and how it is used.

My wife gets cat piss out of Citra and/or Simcoe. I usually don't. I am talking about the same glass of beer! Just because you don't perceive it does not mean that it is not there. We all have different thresholds.
  24. cmac1705

cmac1705 Aficionado (245) Florida Apr 30, 2010

But does she finish the glass?
  25. No, I will say what do you say about this beer - I get pine goodness - she will make a bad face and say Cat Pee!

For some reason she does not even take a sip.
  26. crusian

crusian Advocate (620) Oregon May 14, 2010

Seriously?
    Latunitas uses a shit ton of extract... eh, more power to them... as I drink a sucks. Yum.
  27. Woodie

Woodie Aficionado (105) California Jan 22, 2011

I haven't tried to go too much into it, but I am almost certain I taste Summit.
  28. SeaOfShells

Okay, so the mystery is over. According to Lagunitas, they use Chinook, Simcoe, Apollo, Summit, Nugget and HBC342 hops.

So there you have it. No Citra.
  29. sarcastro

I have known Citra to also give off the cat piss smell, so I wouldnt assume there is simcoe just because of that.
  30. barfdiggs

barfdiggs Savant (420) California Mar 22, 2011

See the post above yours, it looks like his assumption was correct.
  31. sarcastro

Half correct. I didnt say it didnt have simcoe , just that simcoe isnt the one hop that gives off cat pee.
  32. mnstorm99

mnstorm99 Advocate (535) Minnesota May 11, 2007

Where did this info come from?
  33. SeaOfShells

34. mnstorm99

mnstorm99 Advocate (535) Minnesota May 11, 2007

35. mattbk

mattbk Savant (390) New York Dec 12, 2011

can anyone comment as to what hbc342 are and how one would get a hold of them?
  36. http://bit.ly/WqDLCF
    1st link answers first half
    2nd link answers second half's question.
  37. mattbk

mattbk Savant (390) New York Dec 12, 2011

ah yes, the lifesavers hop. thanks. i wouldnt say i get any of this "lifesavers" flavor from sucks. i am surprised by the hops used in this beer - i would guess that simcoe is a huge proportion of these hops - but having never had this hbc342 hop before, perhaps this is what im tasting.
  38. klivesay9

klivesay9 Disciple (65) Georgia Jan 22, 2010

How are some of your noses smelling "cat pee" and "onions" that is ridiculous and you should go see an ear nose and throat Dr. It smells of straight sour diesel and tastes citrusy, my guess is that the bittering are centennial, and half way into the boil they add amarillo and then dry hop the shipoopy out of it with citra and other unknown varieties.
    hopfacebrew and boogiejon like this.
  39. SenorHops

They lie. There is centennial in this beer. Hahaha!