1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Lagunitas Sucks on Philly

Discussion in 'US - Mid-Atlantic' started by bluetieman, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Anyone seen this? Looks like it's everywhere else but here...

2. Damn it !!! I thought this was gonna be an "It's here" thread.

dborginis likes this.
  3. jwat

jwat Savant (395) Pennsylvania Jan 19, 2012

Don't you think Philly should buy it a drink first?

4. Have been checking phillytapfinder.com but no luck.

5. joeebbs

joeebbs Savant (360) Pennsylvania Apr 29, 2009

who would have thought one letter would have made such a difference.

6. Week of Jan 21. More than likely the 22nd according to distributors.

7. I'm keeping my eye out and will let everyone know when I see it. Thanks for checking the site.

8. Darklight

Darklight Savant (285) Pennsylvania Jun 27, 2006

I guess this was distributed late this year? I remember drinking this before Christmas last year.

9. origlio has it in their warehouse but apparently they are waiting on the rest of the shipment. Always a good idea to sit on fresh, hoppy goodness.

dborginis likes this.
  10. Origlio has a reputation for dawdling on the distribution of hoppy beers. Assuming this reputation is well deserved, why do they consistently do this? Do any of the retail accounts put pressure on Origlio on this matter? Or maybe a ‘better’ question is: can the retail accounts put pressure on Origlio on this matter?

Cheers!

11. jwat

jwat Savant (395) Pennsylvania Jan 19, 2012

To play devil's advocate, Origlio doesn't want to piss off most of their accounts by only sending Sucks to some places while forcing others to wait. In their view, much better to get the beer to everyone at the same time, even if that sacrifices some of its freshness. Or they just hate IPA's and their customers, which is much more fun to believe.

12. chcfan

chcfan Advocate (550) California Oct 29, 2008

I'm pretty sure it's the latter.

13. Steeeve

Steeeve Savant (255) Pennsylvania Nov 16, 2010

Why am I not surprised Lagunitas is distributed by Origlio. It generally takes around 6 weeks before I start seeing their monthly releases in stores. We'll probably get it in February.

14. chcfan

chcfan Advocate (550) California Oct 29, 2008

I get what you're saying, jwat, but this is a product that is best when fresh. Them sitting on it is literally diminishing the quality of the beer. There has to be a better way than "we'll just sit on this until there's enough, that way all of our accounts and in turn their customers an inferior product due to our aging process" as opposed to some getting it fresh and the rest getting their's the next wave comes in. I'm sure it would be a major PETA to deal with who got fresh stuff and rotating the schedules or whatever, but they already do that sort of thing with limited beers like RR. I just can't agree with any kind of policy that does a disservice to the product and consumers like that. I'm still pissed about the fact that the Stone Ruination 10th was over 2 months old when it reached the shelves here. That's some unacceptable shit right there.

15. Adenn1

Adenn1 Zealot (95) Pennsylvania Jan 22, 2009

Got notice that it should arrive at the Beer Yard in Wayne on 1/22...and they are taking pre-orders. I got a case reserved and can't wait!

16. Any in Philly interested in splitting a case...I'm technically abstaining until my PTY visit to SF.

17. Does anyone know an approximate price for a case?

18. I don't remember it being as much as the other hot releases last year...maybe $50...still looking to split one...

19. Anyone seen this yet?

20. Not yet but I have to go to my local shop today to reserve my case of Hopslam and I was planning on asking them about the arrival/availability of this one. Will post if I find out anything of substance.

21. I'm gonna pick up my case of sucks today, I imagine many will be doing the same.

22. Got my case today - $42.92 + tax. Great price for what you get, IMHO. To me, it's very similar to Bell's Hopslam, but at half the price!

pumpkin1 and FatBoyGotSwagger like this.
  23. Yeah just got back from my local and the guy said they were originally told they'd be receiving some cases back 2-3 weeks ago but something got fouled up with the shipping etc...Was told they were expecting it any day now.

24. neas

neas Aficionado (160) Pennsylvania Oct 18, 2011

Not sure if this helps many people but I work in the suburbs and wegmans in warrington has it. Just got it today.

25. My wife just picked up a case for me from Spaz beverage in West Chester. About $56 a case. Can't wait to get home!!!

26. Sorry wrong price. $41 a case.

27. Drove past Spaz Beverage twice today! Guess I know where I'll be going tomorrow...

28. Anyone know if this will make its way to the Lehigh Valley? Its difficult to find Lagunitas around here...

29. Well picked up my case this afternoon in West Chester and not only that, but sitting behind the counter was a case of Stone Enjoy By which was only delivered this morning! Grabbed that sucker and now I just have to wait for my case of Hopslam to come in.

30. Blanco

Blanco Advocate (500) Pennsylvania Oct 11, 2008

that's a lot of cases of hoppy, time-sensitve beer. Hope you have some friends to help!

HokiesandBeer likes this.
  31. Same thing happened to me, except I scored a case of Nugget Nectar to go along with my Sucks.
    It was a very good night.

HokiesandBeer likes this.
  32. That I do! Heading into Philly on Saturday for my friends Chilli competition at The Pope and plan on bringing some down!

33. Haha man, they had about a dozen or so cases of the Nugget Nectar there and I won't lie...I was tempting to throw in one of those as well but I've got enough on my plate as is.

34. LBIsurf

LBIsurf Initiate (0) New Jersey Mar 17, 2009

Not exactly in Philly, but for those on the Jersey side of the river, Jay's Elbow Room on route 73 in Maple Shade has Sucks in bottles right now.

35. xnicknj

xnicknj Advocate (730) Pennsylvania May 25, 2009

Hawthornes had bottles yesterday, also on tap at Devils Den