1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Lagunitas Sucks to be Year Round

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by NJOssie, May 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jesskidden

jesskidden Member

If I read "mini-growler" I think of the 1 quart "jugs" used by F X Matt to bottled under contract Mississippi Mud (and they also have used it for some of their Saranac beers at times).

[​IMG]

But you also calling them "bombers" implies that it will be closer to a typical quart beer bottle, still used by a few pre-craft brewers -I guess AB and MC but I see Yuengling's quarts more often than the former brewers'. I guess in general the 40 has taken the place of the quart in the macro market, even for their flagship beers. And they've mostly gone to a long neck/tall quart.

(Me, I still miss the classic steinie quart).

So, which is it? And will they be crown closures or "roll-on" aluminum caps?

Anchor Glass I see still makes a 32 oz. stubby t/a, but it's "twist-off".

[​IMG]
  2. PerdidoKeyBum

PerdidoKeyBum Member

3. Dools9

Dools9 Member

No Imperial Red this year? Now that really sucks.
    musicsherlock and Lantern like this.
  4. PerdidoKeyBum

PerdidoKeyBum Member

Yes, it does really suck. I didn't see it on their 2013 seasonal release schedule, so I assume it isn't going to be brewed. Still trying to find a suitable replacement. G'Knight is pretty good, do you have any recommendations? I've tried a few more Imperial Reds but haven't been too impressed when I compare them to Lagunitas Imperial Red.
  5. TheSixthRing

TheSixthRing Member

Looking forward to the 32oz swingtop bottles, sounds like pure awesomeness. Also looking forward to trying the Hairy Eyeball, one of the few Lagunitas beers that has escaped me over the years.
  6. BigCheese

BigCheese Member

Lagunitas uses an English ale yeast in just about everything that finishes higher than a typical American ale yeast (I assume thats what Pliny uses) would.
  7. Lerxst

Lerxst Member

8. Lantern

Lantern Member

My friend called Lagunitas yesterday and they told him the same thing- SEASONAL. :(
  9. LegalBrew87

LegalBrew87 Member

From the horses mouth...Sucks will eventually be year-round but only in 32oz bottles.
  10. incutrav

incutrav Member

After going through a six pack, I really am not looking forward to having to always power through 32oz of this at a time. Not that it isnt awesome, but I hate the automatic commitment of having to fire down three beers in a sitting. Since they seem to only be going to do this since it 'sounds like fun', im guessing they really could care less if the public buys as much of it as they do now.
  11. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Member

Well, I ‘hear’ what you are saying. Below is something I previously posted. As you will read I opined: “I would like to believe that he would like to hear feedback from his customers on packaging options.”

It is certainly possible that DogTown could take the attitude of: screw you guys! I will package the beer any way I want to. I would prefer that DogTown would listen to his customers and provide alternative packaging. I don’t begrudge him to package in 32 oz. bottles if he wants but I really wish he would provide his customers (me and you) an alternative to purchase Sucks in 12 oz. bottles.

Permit me to whine a bit: why do breweries in general think that packaging higher alcohol beer in larger containers (22oz. bottles, 32 oz. bottles, 750 ml bottles) is a good idea?

Below is my previous post:

“However I dont always like to commit to essentially drinking three beers, when cracking one. That is more my problem I suppose.”

I personally do not think you have a “problem”. I also don’t want to always drink “three beers” and I prefer the option to just drink a single 12 oz. beer in my home.

I would be imprudent for me to state that DogTown is “stoopid”. He certainly has the right to make business decisions. I would like to believe that he would like to hear feedback from his customers on packaging options.

Cheers!
  12. incutrav

incutrav Member

Because they can charge much more per ounce of liquid in said bottles, then if they were in 12oz bottles in 4 or six packs. Take Hop Stoopid for example, which most view as a 'affordable' bomber, around 3.99. Thats $.18 per ounce, or $13 bucks a six pack.

I would like to think by offering beer in a smaller format at decreased price would lead to more sales, making up the difference for folks like me that do not like large format bottles, and will not purchase them.
  13. CA_Infidel2o9

CA_Infidel2o9 Member

And so, my hopes are dashed. I need to pick some up asap.
  14. FarmerTed

FarmerTed Member

Yeah, and they mash at a crazy high temperature, like around 162 F. Their approach to brewing an ipa is almost the opposite to Russian River's, who go for a low finishing gravity.
  15. GameFreac

GameFreac Member

Just got a case. Hope it's as good as last year.
  16. BigCheese

BigCheese Member

Yea I saw some article with Vinnie giving the Pliny recipes and it includes raw sugar as a ferment-able, I've only seen sugar in high ABV Belgians, typically.
  17. Ricelikesbeer

Ricelikesbeer Member

I was really surprised to see the grain bill on this one. It seems a little sweeter than a cereal grain bill would suggest. I get the body of the beer, but it tastes like their is some crystal malt in there, and I really do not detect rye. They prob. use just a tiny bit of flaked rye for head retention and body. I love the hop profile of the beer as well! Very fruity and complex.
  18. kevflaherty

kevflaherty Member

Same here. Really enjoyed this one last year
  19. MarcM

MarcM Member

It is.
    dawatts likes this.
  20. SeaOfShells

SeaOfShells Member

I got an email from Lagunitas after inquiring about Sucks on December 12th.

21. 1beergeek

1beergeek Member

I prefer the Little Sumpin over the Maximus. The hop taste is incredible. Picked up a case of the Maximus last time in Las Vegas, NV. Can't get Laganitus here in New Mexico yet. Waiting for Firestone Walker to come to town. I hear they are targeting Houston, Tx this year. Maybe they will come here next. The Double Jack is by far one of the best beers on the planet!
  22. GameFreac

GameFreac Member

Yep it is. My favorite IPA is back.
    MarcM likes this.
  23. PlayaPlaya

PlayaPlaya Member

Just talked to one of the brewers at Lagunitas . . . . . They are not yet making this year round. They have plans to make it part of their year round beers but nothing is final yet and they have not yet even decided when/if it will happen.

Its not a DIPA, its a strong ale.
  24. LegalBrew87

LegalBrew87 Member

Pretttty sure a strong ale is a catchall category, but it certainly looks like Lagunitas considers it some kind of IPA.
  25. dfillius

dfillius Member

Sucks landed in Lansing today! tastes just as i remembered it - delicious with terrific tropical fruit aromas!
    dawatts likes this.
  26. sendsilk

sendsilk Member

Picked up a case yesterday in Tampa. Damn fine beer once again!
    GameFreac likes this.
  27. heatwaves

heatwaves Member

This is my main gripe with Black Tuesday, Chocolate Rain, and White Chocolate. These beers are so strong (~20% abv) and so rich that there's no way, certainly no safe way, for a person or two to consume them in a sitting. I love these beers, but seriously 5 or 6 oz. is plenty for me. If high abv beers like these were packaged in 12oz bottles more people would also have the opportunity to try them.
  28. Retail1LO

Retail1LO Member

It's not safe for a pair of people to drink a bottle of BT, CR, or WC in a sitting? Perhaps. At 20% ABV (40 proof), a 750mL bottle (25.4 ounces) is the same as drinking 12.7 ounces of 80 proof. Split among a couple people over a few hours time, like such a bottle typically takes, is no real big deal. Maybe I'm in left field on that one.

That said...packaging beer like that in 12 oz. bottles would probably encourage people to drink such beers more frequently, especially when they're without a drinking companion. Someone not familiar with drinking shit like this could forget that even though it's beer and not a spirit...it can still pack a wallop in short order. The jist is, if it's not save for a person to consume 12.7 ounces of 20% ABV beer in a sitting, then 12 ounce bottles will probably bring about this risk more frequently.
  29. Retail1LO

Retail1LO Member

If I lived in Tampa....I'd live on Tocobaga Red and fresh Jai Alai year round. WTF do you need Sucks for? :p
    kpanter likes this.
  30. sendsilk

sendsilk Member

To break it up of course! Jai Alai is absolutely a staple of mine, but but Tocobaga has been hard to find, unless they are older bottles.
    And if I lived up by you, Flower Power and Siberian Night would always be in my fridge!
  31. Retail1LO

Retail1LO Member

We have the same issue with Flower Power. That shit disappears right quick around here. I wish to hell they'd distribute Tocobaga and can it like the other offerings. My favorite Cigar City beer by a mile.
  32. dawatts

dawatts Member

I believe only the six pack release is the "limited" part of that. It is supposed to be "year round" in the 32oz bottles. It still might not be readily available however.
  33. fmccormi

fmccormi Member

Your wish has been granted:

[​IMG]

Jai Alai, Florida Cracker, and Maduro were just about everywhere when I left Florida a few weeks ago. Hotter than Helles was at the brewery at the time, I believe, and canned Tocobaga should be pretty easy to find (in Florida) before too long.
  34. Retail1LO

Retail1LO Member

Interesting. I looked at their calendar which was just recently published, and it maintains that Tocobaga will be sixpacks, bottles only, and distributed only regionally.

If that stuff gets canned and finds its way up here...it'll be THE staple in my fridge. I love that shit.
    fmccormi likes this.
  35. jcb7472

jcb7472 Member

Yeah from what I've seen, CCB is only canning 4 beers: Maduro, Jai-Alai, FL Cracker White, and Helles. The first three are all over the place at liquor stores and grocery stores right now (in FL). I have not seen Helles anywhere yet. I have only seen Tocobaga in 6 pack bottles.
  36. Retail1LO

Retail1LO Member

I believe that can is a mock up or a prototype. However, from everyone I've spoken to, Cigar City, for whatever reason, doesn't seem intent on putting to Tocobaga in cans, or otherwise distributing it. I'm not sure I quite understand that...because it's an awesome beer. Perhaps they simply can't meet the demand. Who knows.
  37. Liquidswordz

Liquidswordz Member

Best news I've heard all week.
  38. GoGators

GoGators Member

I've been hearing about Sucks being year round for too long now. Where is it already? Is it possible this is just a well orchestrated and long perpetrated hoax? Maybe we can get Deadspin to look into this. Or maybe the Notre Dame Athletic Dept. will do an investigation and comment on this.
  39. MichPaul

MichPaul Member

Read "DogTown"'s posts above. I assure you, he knows a little something about Lagunitas plans... "It WILL be year round". Found here Excited for this, even though it will be in large bottle format!
  40. RattleheadKV2

RattleheadKV2 Member

Actually Lagunitas started distributing to NM this week. Jubelation and most of the Kelly's should have 'em.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.