1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Lagunitas Sucks to be Year Round

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by NJOssie, May 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tx_beer_man

tx_beer_man Savant (260) Texas Jan 22, 2013

I'm looking forward to the day Sucks is all over Houston...year round...Mmmmm Beer
  2. Jacob007

Jacob007 Savant (435) New Hampshire Sep 18, 2012

When? Damn it when?
  3. when they don't run out of hops.
  4. drocpsu

drocpsu Savant (255) New Hampshire Dec 25, 2006

Laginitas Brown Shugga Substitute Substitute ( ie: Sucks Even More) anyone? I hear its a gruit.
  5. Spikester

Spikester Savant (450) Oregon Jul 14, 2007

Haven't seen it anywhere.
  6. raynmoon

raynmoon Savant (490) California Aug 13, 2011

Probably won't be year round until the Chicago brewery is up and running.
  7. Harnkus

Harnkus Savant (385) New York Oct 31, 2013

Out of convenience I stopped at a shit beer store on Saturday and there before me, three cases of Sucks. Fresh from last year.

Fucking sin.
    Zorro and Roguer like this.
  8. CowsandBeer

CowsandBeer Savant (355) Kansas Sep 24, 2012

9. Dan_Bowman

Dan_Bowman Savant (270) Ohio Apr 11, 2010

Found this in the Dirtwolf vs Sucks thread. Quoting DogTown (Tony from Lagunitas). Sounds like most people won't see fresh sucks until February. I believe the plan is to have the Chicago location brewing beer in January.

"
    Greetings BA'rs. The first run of 32oz Sucks will be next week but due to our capacity constraints CA will be the only distribution area. As Chicago comes alive we'll expand that. It's capacity that has kept that genie in the bottle, so to speak.
    To those who say that Sucks doesn't age well, I take comfort in the knowledge that you'll never get to taste it pre-natal from a fermenter. Personally, I won't drink it after day -1 just before bottling. I feel your pain... Oh wait... No I don't!
    Cheers...."
    BrettHead and tx_beer_man like this.
  10. PaulyB83

PaulyB83 Advocate (515) Michigan Sep 1, 2013

February is fine by me. There are too many beers coming out right now as it is, many of them expensive barrel aged one. I can't think of anything coming out that time of the year so it will give me something to look forward to. And, being in West Michigan, if I can get fresh Sucks from Chicago at that point then all the better.

11. Sounds like he was only talking about the 32 oz. bottles. I hope he was, that is.
  12. I read somewhere that Sucks 6pks showed up in North Carolina today? No confirmation yet.
  13. riotinmyskull

riotinmyskull Savant (290) Virginia Dec 15, 2011

sam's and tasty both had cases of 6 packs today. confirmed.
    AnchorDrops likes this.
  14. BrettHead

BrettHead Advocate (525) Nebraska Sep 18, 2010

They are in Nebraska. I think Tony was just f**king with us this entire time. LOL :D
    DemoniChris and AnchorDrops like this.
  15. Is the Sucks confirmed to be tasty? & what city is this?
  16. hoerr

hoerr Savant (265) South Carolina Oct 18, 2009

In a blind last year, 4 people, fresh Pliny, Heady, Zombie Dust, Head Hunter, Alchemy Hour and Sucks, Sucks got two 2nds, a 3rd & a 4th. This is serious beer to have this readily available year round. Brah-fricking-voh!

[​IMG]
  17. BSW

BSW Aficionado (240) California Jun 20, 2011

North Carolina? That's would be awesome, but I'm somewhat dubious. Lagunitas is pretty good about getting things into the NorCal market first and I haven't seen any sign of sixers of Sucks.

As a matter of fact, Sucks wasn't even available at the brew pub until yesterday.
  18. I was also doubtful but here's a pic from Sam's Quik Shop in NC

[​IMG]
  19. Yes, there are many many cases of it in NC right now.
  20. Pic from Tasty's FB page...this is good news!!! Google, how does it work?

[​IMG]
  21. BSW

BSW Aficionado (240) California Jun 20, 2011

That's great! It does seem like Tony's been messing with us. Enjoy! I'm off to the bottle shop to look for fresh sixers of Sucks!
  22. Road trip in the morning!!!!
  23. Bond111

Bond111 Savant (335) Minnesota Feb 14, 2011

So Sucks is showing up in places, great news. I remember 2 years ago when I was in MN on a trip that I brought back 3 six packs for my good friend and I. Needless to say we were blown away by how great it was. Simply put, ever since then we've been hooked.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2013
  24. If anyone's still doubtfull, tasty bev's website confirms they got in sucks today, though it's already sold out http://tastybeverageco.com/beer/

I can say for the rest of NC folks, greensboro hasn't gotten any in yet. I might drive down tomorrow to Durham and grab a 6pack.
  25. that is totally a '12 bottle broseph stalin. nice try.
  26. JBogan

JBogan Savant (445) Nevada Jul 15, 2007

Six packs of Sucks showed up about a week ago here in Vegas in some stores.The Lagunitas writing on on the cardboard carrier mentions something about "...here in 2012...", so I really don't know if this is old beer or if Lagunitas is just using old packaging.
  27. Pretty sure Sucks is gone at most Durham bottle shops... just so you don't waste a trip.
  28. Waldomega

Waldomega Aficionado (105) Nevada Jan 15, 2013

id bet those are old sixers. i saw the same thing about a month ago at total wine.
  29. riotinmyskull

riotinmyskull Savant (290) Virginia Dec 15, 2011

did anyone in the triangle area try a bottle yet? wondering if this is fresh or old stock....?
  30. My buddy in Raleigh said it was great, bottle date says two weeks ago..
  31. They still had lots of it at carrboro bev and tj's in carrboro last night.
  32. tsauce2

tsauce2 Savant (440) Indiana Oct 12, 2011

Until they hit the Indianapolis market, I don't give a F. Just wish our distributors would get their sh!t together and work this out.
    wolfeman007 likes this.
  33. Come on man, the date codes on the necks of Lagunitas are so easy to read, its clear from the picture that this is fresh.
  34. Sounds like a great idea.

What were the composite rankings?
  35. hoerr

Good question! I still have everyone's list, let me put it on a spreadsheet. Will report back.
  36. hoerr

Pliny

Heady

Sucks

Zombie

Alchemy

Head Hunter

Full disclosure, it turned out the Zombie Dust was about 6+ months old, so I don't think it represented as well as it should have. It's also an APA and those are some pretty beastly IPAs/IIPAs. I wasn't that surprised honestly that Sucks ranked so well, but was surprised at all the BA hype around Head Hunter and it almost universally scored lowest (one person scored it 4th of the 6, one 5th and 2 dead last).
    addiwilliams likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.