Lagunitas To Open Brewery In Chicago!?!?!

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by Jason, Apr 10, 2012.

1. SHODriver

SHODriver Savant (490) Louisiana Aug 13, 2010

it's just that craft beer had an explosion of popularity in recent years so the question remains if we will have a 'craft beer bubble' or if they will be able to maintain their current sales volume and continue to have increased demand.

2. An East Coast outpost of Lagunitas would be fantastic. But...different water = different beer [or so I'm told].

afrokaze likes this.
  3. emannths

emannths Savant (425) Massachusetts Sep 21, 2007

Adjusting water chemistry is pretty easy. Even in their CA location, Lagunitas adds salts to burtonize their water, at least for some of their beers.

4. rlcoffey

rlcoffey Savant (490) Kentucky Apr 20, 2004

The last time craft "crashed", volume didnt drop. It just stopped growing for a few years. The good, young breweries continued to grow and the weak ones went away. The only way it could be a "bubble" is if people shift back to BMC. Or more importantly, back to BMC full time, as most craft is sold to people who swing both ways. I dont see that happening. Are planning to drink left craft going forward?

I guess all the craft drinkers could say, "Screw it, lets drink wine." But I doubt it.

5. The volume stayed just about constant. Some breweries grew a lot, such a Sierra Nevada. Some with bad product folded. Ones with bad financials folded. The ones that had bet on continued growth to sustain the large debt they had taken on to expand could not service the debt and folded - Catamount had built a new brewery then went out of business as an example of this last example.

6. emannths

emannths Savant (425) Massachusetts Sep 21, 2007

IMHO, it's the breweries that rely on tiny batches and pricey bombers that'll feel the effects of any deceleration of growth in the industry. Well-capitalized brewers that can offer 6pks of reasonably priced beer will survive, but the brewer of the 15th $7 bomber of IPA is going to find it very difficult. There's more discussion of the apparent trend of new brewers' the reliance on bombers in this thread: http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/new-breweries-big-bottles.6201/

7. rlcoffey

rlcoffey Savant (490) Kentucky Apr 20, 2004

Debt and small businesses are a bad mix, for the most part. And relying on growth to pay your debt payments is even worse.

8. Theeabyss

Theeabyss Aficionado (190) Illinois Apr 19, 2012

You would think right....sadly not. Even in the MW some stuff from out backyard brewers are hard to find in our own backyard. GI and Founders for instance.

9. mschind

mschind Aficionado (220) California Aug 11, 2006

Great news for beer lovers. Judging by the number of Lagunitas bottles in my recycling bins, I have a substantial investment in their success.

10. ravot

ravot Savant (460) Illinois Mar 20, 2012

11. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

I would do anything for a job there.

12. ravot

ravot Savant (460) Illinois Mar 20, 2012

shit, even a part time would be epic. a day or two.