1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Lakefront Brewery Announces Record Production Numbers In 2012

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by Jason, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Jason

Jason Founder (1,330) Massachusetts Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

MILWAUKEE, WI (January 2013) – Lakefront Brewery, Inc. announced a 40.8% production increase in 2012, packaging 33,368 barrels of beer, up from 23,576 barrels of beer in 2011. The brewery is also celebrating its 25th anniversary this year by releasing four special beers throughout 2013.

Brewery President Russ Klisch attributed the increase to continued growth of the brewery’s core brands and strong sales of the brewery’s Wisconsinite beer. Klisch also credited the brewery’s growth to Milwaukee beer distributor, Beer Capitol, having reached 200,000 case equivalents at the end 2012: a 20% increase from last year. Klisch stated, “We put a big focus on expanding our brewing capacity and hiring new staff for 2012. Everyone here really pulled together and worked hard to give us one of the best years in our 25 year history.”

Brewery Marketing Director, Chris Johnson, stated, “Our brew team is putting out some of the best beer in the country and the national demand for our product has been overwhelming. We also have an incredible local following, too. We're very lucky to have such a loyal customer base in Wisconsin.”

The first beer in Lakefront’s anniversary series is already available. Johnson described it as “a huge imperial stout, brewed with cocoa nibs, vanilla beans, and cherries with a lot of chocolate and malt flavors.” Johnson also hinted at the second volume of the series, “it’s being worked on by our brewers right now, and we want it to hit shelves in spring.”

Lakefront Brewery, Inc. was started in 1987 and is currently celebrating its 25th anniversary. The brewery distributes its products to 35 states, Israel and Canada. Lakefront Brewery, Inc. was the first brewery to brew a government-approved, gluten-free beer, New Grist, and brews the oldest USDA-certified organic beer, Organic ESB. For more information, visit http://www.lakefrontbrewery.com or call (414) 372-8800.

###
  2. teal

teal Aficionado (195) Wisconsin May 3, 2012

Good for them. Like to see breweries expand and grow and I like their beer. Pretty phenomenal brewery tour too.
    DennyCrane likes this.
  3. this is great news. i love that place. their fixed gear is excellent.
  4. teal

teal Aficionado (195) Wisconsin May 3, 2012

For those who may not know of Lakefront - here's a Brewing TV blurb on them.

steveh likes this.
  5. I've been in San Francisco for 10 years and I noticed Lakefront's gluten-free beer in some specialty/health food stores for a couple years but in 2012 things took off and I started seeing a lot more of their stuff in a lot more places. Good for them (and me)!
  6. Sam_E

Sam_E Aficionado (175) Ohio Oct 11, 2012

Great news. I definately enjoy their beers when I get back into the area. The 25th Anniersary Imperial Stout was delicious
  7. Drew26

Drew26 Savant (330) Wisconsin Nov 2, 2012

Have always loved Lakefront...and awesome tour if you ever are in Milwaukee...it's a must do!
  8. ajzy

ajzy Savant (425) Wisconsin Jun 15, 2011

Their 25th Anny Imperial Stout was surprisingly good--also had their peach lambic on firkin last night and I was quite impressed. I would love it if they would continue working on bigger beers/sours
  9. Lakefront is hands down this best tour I've ever been on; in fact so good, I've been MANY many times. I even had the luck to tour with one of the founders one time. It's great to see those guys doing well. They won't be tops of the hype, but they are a true success and a solid example of what the craft community is all about.
    Drew26 likes this.
  10. They are in BC and their New Grist is on a lot of menus and stores. I wonder what percentage of sales is from New Grist.
  11. What is this beer called?
  12. bound4er

bound4er Savant (435) Wisconsin Jul 4, 2007

13. When I first started seeing Lakefront's beers I assumed they weren't going to be anything great (probably due to pre-conceived notions about their location), but I have liked most of the beers I've had from them. Their Fixed Gear is one of my favorite reds, the IPA is very drinkable, and Wisconsinite Summer Weiss Beer is one of the best American takes on a hefeweizen.
  14. As another post stated, they make an under rated and under appreciated IPA and sell it at a price point that is below any of the other drinkable IPAs I have had. It's nice to know that a brewery like Lakefront had a successful year and here's hoping for more of the same.
  15. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Advocate (615) Iowa Jan 12, 2013

My brother lives in Milwaukee, so every time I go for a visit, we always hit up the Lakefront Brewery tour. Even been on the tour multiple times in one day. It is hands down the best brewery tour I've ever been on. The "tip of the cap" to the Luverne and Shirley show is always funny too. They celebrate the history of the beer industry in the city (the old "Swiss Challet" from the Milwaukee Brewers stadium is inside the Brewery. Complete with the slide that Bernie the Brewer used to slide down). Best experience is to go on a friday afternoon, go on the brewery tour and then stay for the Friday Night Fish Fry and traditional German Polka. Amazing experience!

And yes, very underrated beers too. Their IPA is top notch and I love their Fixed Gear too, though it drinks more like a IPA than a Red Ale.
  16. maxcoinage

maxcoinage Savant (465) Illinois Apr 6, 2012

Awesome, love Lakefront IPA -- Did a brewery tour for my bachelor party there a few years back and everyone really enjoyed it, even the BMC folks.
  17. Fantastic news for them. Hope to see more of their beers in MA! Their IPA and Fixed Gear, the only two I have been able to find, are both amazing.
  18. steveh

steveh Advocate (705) Illinois Oct 8, 2003

Known the Lake Front guys for a long time -- great bunch, great beer -- especially back when micros were in their infancy.

The Luther in the new My Turn Series, a Rauchbier, was terrific.
  19. celfan

celfan Savant (465) Vermont Jul 4, 2004

I remember going to their first "brewery" - which was like someone's house with taps in the wall.
    You just pulled them yourself. My how things have changed. Lots of jumping through hoops to get in now.
  20. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Advocate (615) Iowa Jan 12, 2013

Bottle above is from a sixer. All their beers from sixers have the same calendar dating system. Have for quite a while now.
  21. Oshy

Oshy Aspirant (45) Wisconsin Oct 9, 2012

Yeah all of the 12 oz ones I have seen are like that. They don't have the year listed though, which a few times I have wondered if I had a year old batch. I don't think they date the bombers though.
  22. Right on, able to score some of the "Big Easy" in Dec. 2012. Bottle notch was Nov.
    Thought it was too early but have not seen it restocked yet. I suspect that my repeated request's for the Holiday Spice that went unfullfilled enabled the early Big Easy.