Large beer containers now legal in Alabama

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by StuartCarter, Aug 1, 2012.

1. StuartCarter

StuartCarter Savant (450) Alabama Apr 25, 2006

As of midnight last night (1 second past midnight, 1 August 2012) beer containers up to 25.4oz / 751ml are legal in Alabama thanks to the grassroots efforts of Free the Hops :)

2. Drewskis

Drewskis Disciple (70) Louisiana Jun 20, 2012

Enjoy, Alabama!

3. This is good. Now the BAs from Alabama can chime in about how bombers are not as good a value as 12 oz. bottles.

4. StuartCarter

it's true! Bombers are dreadful value :p

5. DoubleJ

DoubleJ Champion (970) California Oct 13, 2007

That opens up the door for a number of breweries who only bottle in bombers and 750s.

6. Welcome to modern times.

Retail1LO likes this.
  7. thutch

thutch Disciple (50) Alabama Apr 16, 2010

Yeah we were the last state in the union to have such a restriction IIRC

8. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

Great news. I saw some friends from my former home celebrating on Facebook yesterday.
    'Bama has come a long way in a short time. A few years ago it was dreadful, but on my last trips I've been pleasantly surprised. There's a lot of room for growth and people are embracing good beer quickly.
    Now they just need to legalize homebrewing...

acevenom likes this.
  9. DavoleBomb

DavoleBomb Advocate (615) Ohio Mar 29, 2008

Every time I read about the progress that Alabama has made with regard to beer laws, I wonder why anyone still lives in the state.

Manoftyr and Mavajo like this.
  10. This is pretty awesome. AL is my home state, and I'll be moving back there for family's sake in a couple years. This is a blessing indeed. But, can anybody there tell me the options of bombers presently? I heard it would be kinda limited for a while just until more breweries adjust to it.

11. StuartCarter

because there is more to quality of life than just beer....

Zimbo, acevenom and maketheheartglad like this.
  12. StuartCarter

there are multiple threads on the Free the Hops forum saying what is available and where. Not all of the locals are packaging yet, so that will be changing drastically now that they have choices.

http://freethehops.org/community/viewforum.php?f=38

13. Congratulations Stuart and FTH! That's yet another incredible accomplishment for an organization and a great state.

14. SHODriver

SHODriver Savant (490) Louisiana Aug 13, 2010

either way when I was down there you guys had some quality offerings floating around. All Mississippi could offer was shit.

15. StuartCarter

up until 1st July Mississippi was restricted to 6% ABV. They are now allowed up to 10.2%, so their selection is changing very rapidly.

16. Congrats to the state where I was born and raised for getting things turned around! Roll Tide!

17. No shit. Time to party like it's 2012.

18. robinsmv

robinsmv Initiate (0) Florida Jun 24, 2010

Now can we get 40's and 64 oz growlers legalized in Florida?

19. Speaking of growlers, what's the deal with them in AL?

I know a lot of places only fill plastic milk jugs without the option of return/reuse, and yet I went to one place that filled standard growlers (for a $5 deposit - kinda steep) - and, therefore I assumed, expressed willingness to refill them. Were they just ripping people off by making bank on glass with every growler they sold since refills are illegal, or what?

20. StuartCarter

the answer is, "it's been complicated until this last week". You should now be able to return the growler for refill.

21. Sweet! Are stores allowed to refill any growlers, or only ones with specific labels?

22. StuartCarter

ehhh, that's a question I can't answer as I don't work in the trade. Ask the manager, if s/he says no, let them know that if they have a Category 2 Health Dept licence with a sink with a hot tap, they *can* refill growlers (but check with local ABC and health dept first because I am not an attorney and I don't even play one on TV!)

23. fuzzbalz

fuzzbalz Savant (390) Georgia Apr 13, 2002

Was in Ala a couple months ago, and had one of the local brews from Good People Brewing and it was a very good ipa, and hope this helps or leads to them distributing out of state. I live in Ga and would love to get their beers here.

24. aasher

aasher Champion (910) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

Are we sure that we want the people of Alabama to be able to drink this much? ;)

25. Well done Stuart. Keep up the good fight.

26. kexp

kexp Savant (265) North Carolina May 10, 2007

Love it! Keep prying open the clam.