Large flake nutritional yeast

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by Ilanko, Jan 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ilanko

Ilanko Initiate (0) Aug 3, 2012 New York

2. DrewBeechum

DrewBeechum Pooh-Bah (1,880) Mar 15, 2003 California
    Pooh-Bah Society

You might be able to use it as a nutrient supplement, but I'd stick with the purpose made stuff for that purpose!

3. mikehartigan

mikehartigan Maven (1,397) Apr 9, 2007 Illinois

This issue has been discussed in various forms over the years. Most often, the question is "since i'm pitching the same number of cells, can i use $.03 worth of Baker's yeast instead of $8 of Brewer's yeast to ferment my beer?" (or words to that effect).The answer is "probably yes, but it's probably not going to be what you were hoping for" (or words to that effect).

There's a reason that certain strains are labeled Brewer's, some are labeled Baker's, some are labeled Nutritional, etc. it's because they tend to be good at those particular tasks. Odds are, it will ferment and you'll have a drinkable beer. Odds also are that you won't repeat that experiment. OTOH, you may discover something wonderful! When we don't take chances, we stagnate.

warchez likes this.
  4. Ilanko

Ilanko Initiate (0) Aug 3, 2012 New York

I figure out that this stuff is a grate source of vitamin B and it's very tasty as a grate additive for any soup instead of salt use this flacks

5. yinzer

yinzer Initiate (0) Nov 24, 2006 Pennsylvania

When are you adding it?

6. pweis909

pweis909 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,176) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Pooh-Bah Society

It would never occur to me. I suppose it has the nutritional content of yeast hulls. Makes sense that live yeast would be able to extract nutrients from it, but there probably are better products for supplying nutrition to your beer yeast. I definitely would not try to flavor a beer with it.

7. geezerpk

geezerpk Initiate (0) Nov 8, 2010 South Carolina

I agree that nutritional yeast is incapable of fermenting anything. If you're looking for a cheap way to ferment sugars, especially the simple sugars, regular bread yeast — Flieschman's, Red Star, etc. — work just fine. I've used bread yeast very successfully to ferment apple juice/cider into the hard version. The results are every bit as good as ciders fermented with something like Notty, and only take about 50¢ worth of yeast vs. $3.00 or more. ( I suspect you could make pretty drinkable beers from the bread yeast, too — not great, but drinkable.)

8. mikehartigan

mikehartigan Maven (1,397) Apr 9, 2007 Illinois

My comment assumed that you were considering fermenting the beer with it. I now sense that wasn't the intention. If that's the case, then feel free to ignore it.

But, to go off on the obvious tangent, I've heard of people using Baker's yeast to ferment beer (when bought by the pound, it's closer to $.03 a batch than $.50). The results were actually quite acceptable, though I don't recall if it was compared side by side with a proper Brewer's yeast. Suffice it to say that it's perfectly fine for a dorm beer.

9. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Pooh-Bah (2,611) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah Society

Years back on the HBD, there was a discussion that said bread yeast and brewers yeast are closely related. In olden times the brewers and bakers in a town would get yeast from one another if they had a problem with the house yeast.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.