1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Large Format Bottles

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by NoSignsOfPain, Dec 19, 2012.

1. 1.5L - 9L; I know there's Duvel, Supplication, Consecration, Anchor's Our Special Ale, some Mikkeller stuff and have recently seen a 3L bottle of Curieux for sale. Saw a 9L of Temptation at the FW Invitational too. What else is is out there? It'd be kind of neat to own one of these eventually.

2. ant880

ant880 Advocate (635) New York Nov 7, 2010

3. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

Many breweries are experimenting with larger stainless steel bottles. They're kind of neat because the beer inside can be dispensed under CO2 pressure, allowing the beer to stay fresh well after serving a portion of the contents.

bump8628, TwelveOunces, Rempo and 5 others like this.
  4. Giovannilucano

Giovannilucano Savant (445) Wyoming Feb 24, 2011

BIRRIFICIO DEL DUCATO'S VERDI IMPERIAL STOUT I hear is available and my buddy got this one the other day:

[​IMG]

5. Giovannilucano

Also I see available through B. United International a 3L bottle of Birra Del Borgo's 25 Dodici and Reale Extra.

CityofBals likes this.
  6. I think I've seen something from New Holland but I don't remember which of their beers it was.

7. Chimay magnums are pretty common. HotD are in bigger formats. Allagash Tripel, St. bernardus, and piraat come in 6L or 9L. i've seen a 9L or 6L Consecration and a 3L or 6L Allagash Vagabond. There's an empty magnum of Arthur at HF's retail shop. Sort of hard to judge the size on some but bigger than a small child lol

NoSignsOfPain likes this.
  8. Hey store by me has a 3 liter bottle of Samichlaus.... So tempting but not at the 150 dollar price tag

9. Rochefort 8 comes in 1.5l bottles. Usually with a santa sleigh and reindeer on the label.

10. ndepriest

ndepriest Savant (290) Georgia Feb 21, 2012

I went to a Christmas party on Sunday that had a comically sized Samichlaus from 2007. Needless to say, I tried to see how much of it I could drink.

Rempo and SanFranJake like this.
  11. Etan

Etan Champion (755) Wisconsin Jul 11, 2011

Yeah I've seen those too: Envious, Cocoa Mole, Dragon's Milk, Blue Sunday Sour. Why anybody would want a 3L bottle of Envious or Cocoa Mole is beyond me...

12. Giovannilucano

Also I do not know what your take is on Italian craft, but there is also some other breweries that do large formats. Something that also may appease the critics is the Italians relationship with their Belgian counterparts and this to me means a lot. Such as Teo Musso of Baladin working with Jean-Louis Dits of Brasserie a Vapeur. Let me know if your are interested in suggestions!

13. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (840) Michigan May 8, 2006

I have seen El Mole Ocho and Dragons Milk 3l bottles.

14. Saw a Mad Elf magnum yesterday.

15. Giovannilucano

[​IMG]

Birra Del Borgo Reale Extra! This picture is in my coffee book I wrote... Not me but just wanted to show you the bottle...

HeyJim likes this.
  16. tyrsis

tyrsis Savant (390) California Mar 13, 2009

Duvel, Piraat, Dupont Avec les bon voeux (sp), Mikkeler, St. Bernardus

17. JustXBeer

JustXBeer Savant (270) California Nov 29, 2012

Gouden Carolus "Cuvee Van De Keizer Blauw" Belgian Ale 9L
    Val-Dieu Grand Cru Quadrupel Belgian Ale 6L

18. Stinger80OH

Stinger80OH Advocate (675) Ohio Nov 11, 2011

Here's a Large Format Local of mine surrounded by smaller bottles of BIGGER beers

[​IMG]

19. robwater

robwater Aficionado (240) Colorado Jan 14, 2012

Corsendonk Christmas - magnum

20. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

Because cocoa mole is delish...

NoSignsOfPain likes this.
  21. Savearth

Savearth Savant (305) Michigan Mar 5, 2012

Just saw a mega bottle of New Holland Dragon's Milk sitting on the counter at a local liquor store. Not sure of the exact size, but it had a price tag of $99.

22. smakawhat

smakawhat Poobah (1,170) Maryland Mar 18, 2008

Augstijin Blonde! fun times!

St. Bernadus 12 also has a massive double? magnum format... but man that's a lot of quad to hit!

RobertColianni likes this.
  23. Forget the price tag... fear the blackout!

BeerThursdays likes this.
  24. spoony

spoony Advocate (525) Colorado Aug 1, 2012

I came here to say that you can find a lot of Belgians in large format (especially around the holidays), including St. Bernardus, Duvel, and others already mentioned. I have also seen Anchor Christmas, the Stone Bastards (Double, Oaked, and Arrogant), and I have heard about Russian River large formats. Cheers to somebody who can put down 3 liters of Oaked Bastard or St. Bernardus 12.

Slightly off-topic, but in the wine world, the large format bottles have special (often Biblical) names (e.g., magnum is 1.5L, Jeroboam is 3.0L, Salmanazar is 9.0L). Does anyone know if the same naming convention is employed with large format beer bottles?

25. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

It is, but many people don't use it and opt for "3L" or such instead. It's a lot easier (and clearer) to say "3L" than "Jeroboam". Although at 50-50 they use Jeroboam.

spoony likes this.
  26. Only problem with those labeled growlers is you can only refill them with that particular beer. Only thing that keeps me from buying them.

27. I fear no blackout...its the people around me that need to fear

28. There is a 6 liter bottle of St. Feuillien Tripel for $250 and a 6 liter Val-Dieu Grand Cru for $230 at Total Wine.

29. Totally spaced on the basic Belgians and Stone beers; any really awesome sours come to mind? Aside from RR?

30. A store near me has a 6L St. Bernardus 12 on sale. Super tempted to get it.

31. gtermi

gtermi Champion (750) Texas Apr 21, 2010

I saw one when I was in Chicago. That thing was pretty pricey, but dear god that would be a cool bottle and box to have

32. Yeah. It's $150, which is actually pretty reasonable if you can split it a few ways.

gtermi likes this.
  33. gtermi

gtermi Champion (750) Texas Apr 21, 2010

I seriously don't know enough people that like quads that I could split that with to be honest. I need more friends that like good beer

34. There are those crappy flat oxidized '04 3F Oude Gueuze magnums. Cantillon magnums exist too like Soleil and I think I've seen pictures of a Lou Pepe.

35. JrGtr

JrGtr Savant (365) Massachusetts Apr 13, 2006

Mad Elf come in jeroboams.

36. Cantillon is also doing their classic gueuze in 1.5/3/6L sizes, although I doubt those will be too easy to get stateside.

37. 12 Dogs of Christmas .. Got a magnum last year.. Packaging is AMAZING . Havent tried the beer yet.

38. Retsinis

Retsinis Advocate (555) California Sep 25, 2009

I always liked the names myself, here is a full list.

(litres) RatioName

0.1875 Piccolo
    0.25 Chopine
    0.375 Demi
    0.378 Tenth
    0.5 Jennie
    0.620 Clavelin
    0.750 Standard
    0.757 Fifth
    1.0 Litre
    1.5 Magnum
    2.25 Marie Jeanne
    3.0 J eroboam (a.k.a. Double Magnum)
    4.5 Rehoboam

6.0 Imperial or Methuselah
    9.0 Mordechai or Salmanazar
    12.0 Balthazar
    15.0 Nebuchadnezzar
    18.0 Melchior
    20.0 Solomon
    25.0 Sovereign
    27.0 Primat or Goliath
    30.00 Melchizedek

39. Angst

Angst Aficionado (225) California Nov 8, 2007

Don't forget about Anchor "Our Barrel Ale" which are magnums.