1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Large Format Bottles

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by NoSignsOfPain, Dec 19, 2012.

1. I have seen a Jeroboam of Maudite.

2. Drie Fontenein Geueze magnums exist

3. Lare453

Lare453 Champion (790) Florida Feb 1, 2012

There is a 6l Val dieu

4. CA_Infidel2o9

CA_Infidel2o9 Savant (310) Dec 1, 2012

You seem very versed in the italian craft, kinda makes me feel bad since i've never tried a single italian brew. I need to start supporting the homeland.

Giovannilucano likes this.
  5. Guess I gotta go to Belgium then :rolleyes:

ehammond1 likes this.
  6. Like who? Have not heard nor seen this, so wondering if you had a picture or link?

7. And in no way is that a bad thing.

8. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

I can't tell if you're serious or not, but just in case, he's talking about kegs.

Beerontwowheels likes this.
  9. Allagash makes more than 6L Curieux - there are Methuselahs and Jereboams of Curieux & Tripel at least (and I think I've seen Dubbel too)

10. Dajtai007

Dajtai007 Savant (390) Texas Jan 15, 2009

I've seen a 6L of HotD Matt and a 9L of Deviation over at Bottleworks a couple years back. Brought tears to me eyes!

NoSignsOfPain likes this.
  11. CA_Infidel2o9

Anyone know how "resealable" Stone 3Ls really are? I'm curious because i have a Double Bastard & VE 12.12.12 and i was planning on sampling them through out a 3-4 yr process.

12. Haha, I was actually. Didn't get he was talking about kegs. I was thinking of how they have stainless growlers now and thinking maybe there was some breweries out there doing this, or he was just lying. "You have to excuse my friend. He's a little slow" - says me pointing at myself

13. Cascade77

Cascade77 Aficionado (230) Vermont May 14, 2009

That's a hell of a markup. That triple wholesales for about $160.

14. CA_Infidel2o9

I actually had the same mindset when he said that... hard to recognize sarcasm thru text.

15. they are not resealable. I mean you can do it, but the beer won't keep. Once you open it, drink it.

Also, I don't trust those stone 3ls. All the rubber gaskets at the stores around here are cracked and the bottles are leaking beer.

16. stupac2

Have you ever used a flip-top growler? It'll be just as resealable as one of those. Meaning your plan would result in you drinking terrible, awful, gross, flat, oxidized beer for about 2.95-3.95 years.

17. CA_Infidel2o9

Never. How well is it sealed as is? Would i get those same results if i didn't open it?

18. stupac2

I would imagine the seal is pretty good as that's a pretty common seal type. However, why wouldn't you just get normal-sized bottles?

19. [​IMG]

Imagine this full of Cantillon.

20. stupac2

I'd rather just have a keg.

elgiacomo likes this.
  21. Would you pose next to it in a Canadian Tuxedo like this guy?

Beerontwowheels likes this.
  22. CA_Infidel2o9

I did buy normal sized bottles to drink. 1) because they're badass and i'm impulsive 2) because i planned on trying them multiple times at different times but it sounds like that isn't gonna happen.

23. stupac2

I'd almost certainly pose cockily next to it, but probably not in his splendid garb.
    I'm a bit confused about what you're trying to accomplish here. The problem is that once you expose beer to air you've started a ticking clock that lasts around 24-48 hours. Any individual bottle, no matter what size, will only be good for sampling at one "age". If you have a half dozen bottles, you can easily taste the beer at constant intervals for 3-4 years. If you have one big bottle you can't. Well, you can, but as I said after a few days it'll be flat, after a week it'll be gross, and after much longer it'll be epically gross.

24. CA_Infidel2o9

Got it. I thought i've read post of ppl sampling a bomber at different intervals and then recapping it and i think dipping it in wax. Guess i read wrong. I'll just have to keep them for a special occasion and share it.

25. Agreed, just drank one this past weekend. Still holding together nicely.

26. It's called a keg...

Levitation likes this.
  27. wtf? lol, i'm just picturing you looking at your jeroboams now and thinking, "...fuck."

28. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

Sarcasm on the 04 OG magnums? I've opened 3 and all have been ridonkulous

29. WOW thasts 104 ounces of nastiness there

30. Giovannilucano

Giovannilucano Savant (445) Wyoming Feb 24, 2011

Yes, I really do enjoy the Italian craft, but you know I will not push it if it is not something anyone wishes to try. It has become something I feel very passionate about and one reason why I would brew beer myself.

31. Agreed, I've had two, amd they've been fantastic.

32. Yeah, that got cleared up by stupac2. Way to get the silver medal though!

Levitation likes this.
  33. Thats one of my top brews. Celler it for a few years and it will be worth over that much.

34. Ommegang has 3L bottles of Abbey Ale. I have never seen them for sale, but you get them as part of the Bed & Brew package. Have had 2 of them in the past. Each bottle is signed by the brewmaster. Pretty cool.

35. I've had several that were like that. Reports from others too. Although while tasting them people were raging over it so maybe its me. Wouldnt be the only bottle ive had from them that was flat and oxidized.

36. Teaches me for responding before finishing to read the rest of the thread.

Levitation likes this.
  37. W
    Who cares? The world is ending anyways right. ;)

38. CA_Infidel2o9

Exactly, crack a brew bro and watch the ensuing chaos.

kawilliams81 likes this.
  39. My local shop has a Allagash Curieux Methuselah I'm trying to talk myself out of buying. The novelty is pulling me in and I don't think I can turn away.

Has anyone had experiences with this size?

40. dmeadows

dmeadows Savant (310) New York Aug 6, 2002

No, but I'd suggest getting a few friends to go in on it and grab that sucker.