1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Large Format Bottles

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by NoSignsOfPain, Dec 19, 2012.

1. TNGabe

TNGabe Initiate (0) Tennessee Feb 6, 2012

Nope, but went to a party with a 9l once - it's a blast. The novelty photos alone are worth it.

2. It's almost worth it to see my wife's expression if I rearrange the main fridge to somehow make it fit.

Post them bad boys. What beer was it?

3. LambicKing

LambicKing Advocate (655) Florida Apr 13, 2011

Haven't popped it yet: The St Bernardus Abt Methuselah drew me in last year and it's still staring at me from my dining room through the hole in the box.

Creeps me out.

DelMontiac likes this.
  4. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Advocate (640) Oklahoma Oct 22, 2010

Pull the trigger on that sum bitch! Then post a video of you drinking it all by yourself in one sitting. That's 8 liters, right?

RobertColianni likes this.
  5. Only 6 Liters. I think it will make my 3L RR sours look to pitiful to store next to them. The price is pretty nutts.

6. Lare453

Lare453 Champion (780) Florida Feb 1, 2012

If you get it, make sure it is a beer you can age and something easy to drink for many people. It's A LOT of beer even thought it may not seem like it. You'll be pouring glasses out of it all night and not everyone will have more than one beer if it has an out of the ordinary flavor profile.

7. Lare453

I was thinking of buying a 6l Val dieu triple they have at tw in Orlando, but I just couldn't do it...

8. Yeah, it's a decent sour but all the 750's I've ever had were filled with floaties which could be a turn off for newer drinkers.

9. Lare453

Also from my experience the first half goes really fast, the second half seems to last forever.

RobertColianni likes this.
  10. billandsuz

billandsuz Savant (415) New York Sep 1, 2004

i bid on a Meth of Ommegang at the very first BCTC. in hindsight i was too far gone to know better.

i LOVE that bottle. it's big, it's stupid, totally impractical and it's bad ass. i put homebrew in it but you really do want to have a reason to open a massive bottle like that. that is alot of beverage my friend.

that has been my experience with the Methuselah.
    Cheers.

edit. i am not sure what is bottled in it at the moment if that gives you any idea of the utility of the bottle. really, you want a reason to own the bottle and not just the beer. i am guessing you could buy the same amount in a small format for less money.

11. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

Wait, what beer are you talking about? Last I checked Curieux isn't sour. I'd be skeptical of this bottle, last one I had was a butter-bomb.

12. mountsnow1010

mountsnow1010 Savant (360) Vermont Jan 23, 2009

does anyone know where empty large bottles could be bought? 3-9L? I'd be interested in putting homebrew in there.

13. TNGabe

TNGabe Initiate (0) Tennessee Feb 6, 2012

Gosh, it was in the days of yore. Not sure if it was film, but before I had a digital camera. I'm thinking it was St. Feullien, elsewise Tiple Karmeliet. Neither are beers I'd seek out ordinarily, but everything tastes better from a ginormous bottle. Now that I homebrew, I would love to get a hold of some bottles this size.

14. The one bottle I've had was sour and tart to all hell. I don't care what style they claim to be...

15. had this recently.
    [​IMG]

16. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

Weird, it's never been sour for me.

17. kylelenk

kylelenk Savant (385) Michigan Apr 17, 2012

Believe they are just doing Dragon's Milk right now. Maybe adding Imperial Mad Hatter down the line?

18. kylelenk

kylelenk Savant (385) Michigan Apr 17, 2012

Although nonsensical. Sicilianos had a 3L for $99.00 while their sixth barrel of Dragon's Milk was $101.00

19. oldedog

oldedog Savant (310) Connecticut Oct 23, 2012

20. lets pour was just featuring a Salmanazar of St Feuillien. I was bummed it was out of my price range ;). Someday...

21. rather

rather Savant (305) California May 31, 2013

3 liters of awesomeness, 80 ish dollars in OC

22. WTKeene

WTKeene Advocate (555) Texas Jul 13, 2013

I saw a Magnum of Avec les bon Voeux at Total Wine, but it was 40 bucks. I'm pretty sure the 750ml bottles aren't 20+, so it doesn't seem to me like an economical way to buy that fantastic saison.

23. alexanf

alexanf Initiate (0) Mississippi Jun 22, 2012