Large snow storm (>1 ft) possible for Mass. Fri-Sat..

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Fests' started by BirdFlu, Feb 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BirdFlu

BirdFlu Savant (355) New Jersey Jun 6, 2008

Boston area, specifically.. Anyone else nauseated with worry over not being able to travel to the fest?

2. I heard there are two models, one of which gives Boston 1--3, the other of which gives the big one we've been dodging so far this season. I would give it a day and a half or so for them to firm up their solutions before despairing.

3. Timmush

Timmush Savant (330) New Jersey Jan 5, 2008

yeah, I am worried.. big time.
    Traveling from NJ too (4.5 hrs)

4. mborden

mborden Savant (420) New York Jan 28, 2009

Remember, if you "get sick" on Thursday and are "still sick" on Friday, it's less suspicious.

5. jlenik

jlenik Savant (435) New Jersey Jan 22, 2009

Same. Going by bus?

6. BirdFlu

On top of finding out today that Savor in NYC will be completely unaffordable, this has led me into an abyssal fit of despair...

7. Timmush

nope , driving

8. I'd rather be driving than flying....And I'm flying...

9. beerinmaine

beerinmaine Aficionado (225) Maine Jun 20, 2009

I'd be more worried if the forecast called for bright sunshine. Predictions have not been great this year.

And it's only snow, not a blizzard. The city will not end.

10. Franch

Franch Advocate (540) New York Mar 22, 2011

see y'all out in the tundra

11. Patrick

Patrick Initiate (0) Massachusetts Aug 13, 2007

The city won't end, but i don't think it will be easy for the beer to get in the building if the snowfall is massive.

12. Ataraxia

Ataraxia Savant (280) Massachusetts Sep 20, 2012

If the fest is still being held, I will get there after work and a light pre-dinner meal regardless of the obstacles :cool:

13. Its just snow !!!
    Pretty sure Bean-Town has plow trucks !!!

14. Timmush

when is it supposed to start? I might have to drive up Thursday night instead...

15. beerinmaine

I'm sure a suitable number of men with shovels can be located.

16. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,130) Washington Sep 24, 2007

OMG! Snow! In Boston! In February! I'm shocked, Shocked I say!

braineater and Jason like this.
  17. Patrick

Patrick Initiate (0) Massachusetts Aug 13, 2007

In the South End? Do you know how to turn italian loafers and deep v's into shovels?

omniscientcause and pmarlowe like this.
  18. Cuzco

Cuzco Savant (340) New York Mar 22, 2008

pretty sure there is a difference between "Snow! In Boston! In February!" vs 12+" of snow in a day.... Just sayin....

BirdFlu and Patrick like this.
  19. MrDanno96

MrDanno96 Savant (370) Ohio Aug 26, 2009

I will likely be leaving on Thursday instead of Friday now.

I assume the fest will go on no matter what?

20. so far it's a whole buncha nothing. I'm a go with that

21. BirdFlu

I believe right now they think it will snow both on thurs into fri and then fri night into sat.

22. They are so precise with their predictions, could be between 2-26".

beerinmaine likes this.
  23. BirdFlu

That doesn't necessarily help people driving up from hundreds of miles away..

24. beerinmaine

People tend to panic over these things.

A couple years ago I drove through Boston, on the way from southern MA to ME, during a true blizzard. City streets were actually pretty decent, since it was just me and the plow truck. Interstates were 25mph the whole way.

Besides, this is an event where nobody should be driving! Should be no problem :)

beertunes and Jason like this.
  25. BirdFlu

Thats the nature of weather prediction from half a week away. Its not possible to precisely calculate and predict all the atmospheric variables which can influence the final situation.

26. beerinmaine

...even up to the day of the event.

We have a saying up here - we often shovel 4 inches of "partly cloudy". Snow predictions are unreliable. Especially with the modern rush to break the story about an upcoming storm and drive TV ratings, web hits, etc. There's a very predictable cycle of a slight possibility turning into a potential giant calamity, then fading away. Meh. Leave a day early if coming from far; if coming from near, you should be prepared to handle winter in New England anyway.

27. Cuzco

Cuzco Savant (340) New York Mar 22, 2008

First, many people, myself included, will be taking the interstates to get to Boston to check in to hotels.

Second, see first comment...

28. MrKsBeer

MrKsBeer Initiate (0) Massachusetts Mar 31, 2009

Nugget Nectar is coming in Tomorrow... Snow me in! I DON'T EVEN CARE! HA! haHA!

29. I don't know what beer event is going on this weekend up here, but I'm intending to drive to VT and have some of that Heady Topper from the the Alchemist and do some skiing. 12"? Bring it on! The snow wimps will just have to find a hotel along the way.

30. Trackim

Trackim Zealot (95) Vermont Aug 18, 2012

It's only snow. Driving 3 hours from Boston. Still plan on leavin vt at the same time I have always planned. 9am. Hit the road. Grab a bread bowl in Quincy market. Check into hotel. Drink lots of epic beer at NoTB. Drunken walk back. Sleep. Wake up and do it again.

31. Latest here is it's supposed to start Friday morning/early afternoon and last through the early morning hours with potential for up to a foot. Plan accordingly, especially the breweries! (Have my heart set on finally trying Black Tuesday, BA Bigfoot and many others, going to be preeeetty disappointed if any brewers can't show...)

32. Todd

Todd Founder (1,615) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.