1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Last beer to blow you away?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by mychalg9, Oct 29, 2012.

1. KAP1356

KAP1356 Savant (350) Pennsylvania Mar 26, 2009

I recently had Zombie Dust and, while not the greatest beer I've ever had, I was thoroughly impressed. Was also pleasantly surprised by CC's Good Gourd Pumpkin Ale. But the latest beer to blow me away was absolutely a 1988 Vintage Thomas Hardy's Ale. Absolutely amazing.
  2. Schwantz

Schwantz Savant (390) Florida Dec 16, 2012

You, sir, are correct!
  3. Funky Buddha's Wide Awake It's Morning - Had this last night and was just floored from nose to finish. This is one amazing beer! Too bad it's next to impossible to get your hands on it.
  4. tinypyramids

tinypyramids Savant (445) Illinois Jul 19, 2012

new glarus hometown blonde. i see why this won gold at gabf.
    stayclean likes this.
  5. Staying with the Sam Smith option... their Organic Chocolate Stout surprised the heck out of me. Tastes like hot cocoa with whipped cream
    BrownAleMale and TheBeerAlmanac like this.
  6. Pizza Boy's Citra Hopgasm a few months back. Outstanding! Really looking forward to Al's new place.
  7. huysmans

huysmans Savant (320) New Jersey Dec 5, 2007

2011 Espresso Oak Aged Yeti on draft - ridiculously good. It made the 2011 Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti taste rather pedestrian.
  8. baconman91

baconman91 Savant (495) Ohio Dec 13, 2009

O'Fallon: Smoke (Smoked Porter)
  9. baconman91

baconman91 Savant (495) Ohio Dec 13, 2009

..the 1st (cpl) times, something about it, the Initial taste Explodes w/ Huge complexity & smoke flavors - So Fantastic, though (so much that at the 1/2 way pt..it was almost too much..i thought, maybe just a Delicious "Dinner" beer--to pair something w/). HOWEVER, i kept getting drawn back-in to That taste, kept Wanting it..& on the 3rd try--POW--i don't even think twice-it May be a bit of an Acquired taste but i have Grown to Love this stuff-- Straight up, no pairing nec. -- it's Good Stuff but may not be for Everyone. * makes a good Chili..KICKA** too!
  10. Arrogant Bastard Oaked just now, working on my second bottle and I am in love with this beer
  11. I should let you know that I was a successful surgeon in Chicago. Then one night after a fundraiser, I came home to find my wife had been murdered and a man with a prosthetic arm had killed her. I was convicted for killing her, but on my bus ride to the prison a train hit us and I was freed. The U.S. Marshals were pursuing me until I could find the actual killer and prove my innocence. Needless to say Sweetwater IPA blows my mind every time I drink it after the incident.
    TheBeerAlmanac and mychalg9 like this.
  12. I think this is an accurate assessment; it's super sweet. Almost too sweet.
    BrewTasting likes this.
  13. Bubbles

Bubbles Aficionado (205) California Sep 16, 2012

14. Several years ago ( this tells you how tough i must be to please when it comes to beer or at least to "blow me away"). Quite possibly the blanch de Bruxelles, on tap. Perhaps what i found the most shocking was the establishment which got this keg; a hipster bar that specializes in reduced rates on pbr. Not surprisingly, when i went back for more it was gone and they never got it in again. This beer is absolutely impossible to find in these parts, even in the bottle. Super secret beer is and always will be the best ;).
  15. Bubbles

Bubbles Aficionado (205) California Sep 16, 2012

I love when I find a lower alcohol beer that has a lot of flavor. I loved Kurofune Porter, Baird Brewing. I even loved the creamy head...like desert! The beer is slightly smoky from the roast. Close 2nd, Bony Finger, Moonlight. Deep roast and hoppy!
  16. bells bourbon barrel batch 9000. bout as good as it gets
    Zaphog likes this.
  17. North Coast Old Stock 2010. Had it maybe 6 months ago.
  18. tectactoe

tectactoe Advocate (740) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

Zombie F'n Dust. Just had one and it blew my mind. I am one of the sheep now. That stuff is too amazing not to love.
    BrewTasting likes this.
  19. Fantôme Extra Sour Special Original Creation and Surly Wet are the last two beers that truly blew me away. The Extra Sour was everything Fantome does but with more tart, which is always a win, and Wet is just mind-meltingly good.
  20. That is interesting to hear for me, since it is all over the place in SoCal.
  21. Oh it's here too, i spoke too soon. But not on tap! Tap in some regards is a whole other universe with certain beers.
    Revenant likes this.
  22. Smuttynose Really Old Brown Dog...wow.
  23. For me it's gotta be'09 black tuesday. It was the first time I had it roughly a month and a half ago.
  24. jglowe77

jglowe77 Initiate (0) Massachusetts Jan 24, 2011

Uncle Jacob's Stout. I was ranting.
  25. jglowe77

jglowe77 Initiate (0) Massachusetts Jan 24, 2011

It's fuckin mindblowing, eh?
  26. nogophers

nogophers Savant (295) Minnesota Jun 28, 2011

Had Surly Abrasive on tap the other night. Delicious. Followed it up with a couple cans the next day!
  27. Drucifer

Drucifer Savant (465) Illinois Apr 16, 2012

Acrimonious Imperial Stout at Haymarket. It's a big RIS aged for 5 months in Angel's envy port barrels (held port then bourbon then the beer?) and it tastes amazing. It's 12% without a hint of booze, which is scary.
  28. Wolfhead

Wolfhead Savant (265) Illinois Sep 1, 2009

Stone's Enjoy by 12-21 on tap, the bottles were OK but on tap, simply amazing to me
  29. +1 for Zombie Dust and any of the Enjoy By's

This might seem strange to a lot of you, but Corsendonk Tripel (Abbey Pale Ale) was amazing. Such an unassuming bottle but probably one of the best pale Belgians for the money.
  30. I really liked the Lagunitas Little Sumpin Sumpin. I'm not a big hop head but it was tasty and not to overpowering. I will have it again for sure while waiting for the "Sucks" to come in.
  31. Burt

Burt Savant (485) Rhode Island Nov 27, 2005

Zoe, Maine Beer Company a couple years ago. I go to Maine every year for a vacation, I hit up a great beer and wine store there and I always try to get some local stuff. Picked this one over a White Birch basically because the label said it hoped that it would put the same smile on my face like the brewers daughter after she came home from a whale watching trip. I had a big smile from being blown away.
  32. Hill Farmstead Twilight Of The Idols. A great beer to sip on in the cold weather.
  33. 1424IpA

1424IpA Savant (395) California Nov 2, 2012

Lagunitas sucks rose straight to my personal top 10 the second it touched my tongue.
  34. Rfunk

Rfunk Aficionado (125) California Nov 28, 2012

Jewbelation 16.
  35. Gobzilla

Gobzilla Savant (455) California Apr 21, 2010

too many to mention but it has come down to T25 or Fantasia both were superb
  36. Revenant

Revenant Savant (350) Minnesota Aug 8, 2012

Surly Coffee Bender on tap. So much more pronounced and delicious.
  37. After drinking craft for a few years. Budweiser blew me away on thanksgiving. I was blown away at just how bad it was.

But in all seriousness. Founders CBH, Backwoods bastard, stone 10th, Sculpin IPA, T-IPA.
  38. Dtrain4

Dtrain4 Aficionado (185) New York Dec 29, 2012

Left Hand's Java Lava. Awesomeness. Had it in tap last week.
  39. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

Bell's Third Coast Old Ale. I expected good things but it was REALLY good.

Also, Kuhnhenn's Simcoe Sillier. Wow. Wish I got more when I had the chance. :(
  40. kdmcguire10

kdmcguire10 Savant (365) Michigan Jul 15, 2011

PEGS Rare DOS