1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Last beer to blow you away?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by mychalg9, Oct 29, 2012.

1. MaxSpang

MaxSpang Advocate (515) Ohio Jan 28, 2011

Parabola. Had it after a Westvleteren 12 (which did not blow me away) and I was floored. I thought it tasted like a less over-the-top Bourbon Vanilla Dark Lord, or a perfectly aged Bourbon County Stout.

Man, I wish I hadn't traded my other bottle :(

jdmandel, buffs9, DonDirkA and 2 others like this.
  2. kanzlja

kanzlja Zealot (95) Florida Aug 3, 2010

Visited Vermont recently and Hill Farmstead Abner was absolutely phenomenal!

heffnate77 likes this.
  3. Tried New Glarus Wisconsin Belgian Red for the first time this month--unbelievable beer--perhaps my favorite fruit beer ever.

deadonhisfeet likes this.
  4. Nachos4two

Nachos4two Advocate (555) Illinois Nov 26, 2011

I was able to try Serendipity by New Glarus this week, damn good!!

deadonhisfeet likes this.
  5. imfrommichigan

imfrommichigan Savant (470) Utah Jul 12, 2012

Bourbon Barrel Aged Batch 9000. Seriously one of the best beers I've ever had. I think I said that around 5 times while I was drinking it. Can't wait for the bottles.

6. MagillaGriller

MagillaGriller Savant (315) Aug 20, 2012

Bourbon County Coffee 2010. Last night.

7. seplo

seplo Savant (455) Connecticut Sep 8, 2009

my boy Smutty33 and Tomdee74 had an epic beer tasting on saturday, we had the likes of SN hemisphere, DFH punkin, Smuttynose pumpkin, Midnight Sun TREAT, Smuttynose scotch ale, NEBCO gandhi bot, and of course '11 Kate The Great (which i had at Kate Day this past year) but the one that really blew me away was Midnight Sun Berserker, WOW was a great beer, we didnt even get to the '11 Abyss...CHEERS

smutty33 likes this.
  8. gshak

gshak Advocate (500) Texas Feb 20, 2011

Bells Expedition Stout bottled in 09/26/2011, imbibed and floored on 10/10/2012. By far the best non-barrel aged imperial stout I've had; heck as far as my experience with imperial stouts, it's perhaps bested only by Abyss and Parabola, and even so, not by much.

Stouttyme and smutty33 like this.
  9. Ballast Point Indra Kunindra...was not expecting it to be as good as it was considering all the spices they used.

10. Revenant

Revenant Savant (350) Minnesota Aug 8, 2012

Surly Brewing Brett Liquor IPA Saturday at Darkness Day. Tea-Bagged Furious on cask was also exceptionally awesome as well as Damien.

11. mudbug

mudbug Advocate (500) Oregon Mar 27, 2009

Bitter Monk last release and Boneyard Hop Venom

bstyle and ArchEnemyBrew like this.
  12. LMT

LMT Savant (340) Virginia Oct 15, 2009

Last week, I had an expo stout bottled 8/28/2012. From reading other posts, I was expecting to be underwhelmed. Wow, was I wrong. I thought it was excellent--just the right amount of bitterness & great consistency. I love their licorice aftertaste (also present in their Kalamazoo stout).

I've never been able to get this one before and am glad I did. I cellared 3 bottles, but really, it was terrific fresh.

jaIsPoAn likes this.
  13. Bramble owned my soul.

Stouttyme and bstyle like this.
  14. Unibroue's Eau Benite on tap most recently, then Super IPA, St. Fuillien/Green Flash Biere De L'amitie on tap before that. As far as in the past year, Green Flash Tripel on tap, Hopslam, Zombie Dust, The Bruery Tradewinds Tripel and Lagunitas Sucks.

15. After being underwhelmed by their saisons and porters. . .

Ephraim, Simcoe Single Hop, Society & Solitude #5 were liquid gold.

Ephraim is a perfectly sound substitute for Pliny the Younger.

pisano likes this.
  16. smokeypeat

smokeypeat Savant (280) Maryland Jan 23, 2010

I literally logged in just now to post on Ephraim so it's funny you beat me to it. I just had this for the first time on tap last week at Capone's in PA, and its one of the few beers that's blown me away in awhile.

heffnate77 and Beerandraiderfan like this.
  17. BB1313

BB1313 Champion (805) Ohio Jul 16, 2009

Green Flash Silva Stout and Columbus Bodhi DIPA.. there's more but those 2 standout the most..

18. tdmccarthy

tdmccarthy Savant (445) Illinois May 6, 2010

Founders Harvest
    Three Floyd's Rye'da Tiger
    Surly Wet
    My first Pliny the Elder

I'd put Shlafly's Tasmanian Style IPA just a notch below the rest of these.

19. Recently, I'd say Avery Uncle Jacob....super decadent

buffs9 likes this.
  20. CLCardinal84

CLCardinal84 Savant (320) Illinois Jan 29, 2012

Against the Grain Bo and Luke. Amazing. A smoked imperial stout aged in PvW barrels, I died and went to heaven figuratively.

21. Lawson's Finest Liquid Hopzilla on Tap at Farmhouse Tap and Grill about a month ago. Also, picked up a case of HT that same weekend. Pretty, pretty, pretty good.

-LD

22. obrike

obrike Savant (435) Texas Jun 19, 2009

Loved the Ruination Tenth Anniversary IPA...tasty as hell.

scootsmal likes this.
  23. Gritch

Gritch Aficionado (165) Indiana Dec 26, 2010

Mendocino Imperial Stout. Had one a few weeks back. Thought it was one of the best stouts I have ever had.

24. jeonseh

jeonseh Savant (495) Indiana Oct 14, 2007

Had my first bottle of Rare and was shocked by how good it was compared to regular BCBS.

Also, was really blown away by Kuhnhenn BA 4D since I did not expect it to be as good as it was.

25. Shumania

Shumania Aficionado (195) Virginia May 26, 2009

I had DC Brau For Others this weekend and it was an amazing DIPA. If only there was a larger supply of Citra hops!

ao125 likes this.
  26. JuniperJesus

JuniperJesus Savant (430) Illinois Feb 26, 2011

Great Lakes Oktoberfest

Most marzens taste the same so it takes a special kind of octoberfest to rise above the pack. Great Lakes brews such an elixir; the remnant, bewitching aroma seals the decadent experience permanently in the annals of your memory.

jminch and LMT like this.
  27. Dogfish Head P90, or Nunkin,. ... I heard it called by both names.. half Punkin and half 90 min at the Ale House...spectacular!

28. smutty33

smutty33 Advocate (650) Connecticut Jun 12, 2009

As my good bud seplo said above already......

Midnight Sun Berserker

Awesome Brew,Very Well Done.

Cheers

seplo likes this.
  29. Jeffo

Jeffo Advocate (650) Netherlands Sep 7, 2008

De Molen Bommen & Granaten on Cascade
    Emelisse Imperial Stout Sorachi Ace Single Hop
    Freigeist Eszett Gueuze

All were way better than I was expecting. Midnight Sun Moscow Rye would probably take the cake, though I was kind of expecting that.

Jeff

futura123 likes this.
  30. Just traded for a bottle of this myself. Can't wait to try it, but I'm going to leave it in the fridge for just a few days longer (because the bottle looks so cool).

31. Gannon81

Gannon81 Aficionado (185) Oregon Jan 5, 2012

Had some Founder's Dirty Bastard on draft last night. It gave me significant pause.

32. Saison Rue for me. My brother and I were super impressed last Sunday when we drank it.

33. Since I'm still trying so many different beers, I still get blown away quite frequently (at least a half-dozen times in 2012 alone). Most recently, Heady Topper blew me away. It was simply outstanding.

I have 3 bottles of Marshall Zhukov I'm saving for when it gets cold outside. Given what I've heard about it, and considering my love for Founders Imperial Stout, I expect to get blown away by Marshall Z. The first time I drink it, I'll have to strap myself down firmly and make sure all seats and tray tables are in their full upright and locked positions.

34. Daemose

Daemose Savant (480) Texas Oct 3, 2011

I've never been blown away by a beer. It's a motionless bottled beverage and I am a 200lb man. Unless it was vaporized and blow at me through an aircraft engine, I don't think it's possible.

mychalg9 likes this.
  35. tronto

tronto Aficionado (225) Kentucky Dec 22, 2010

I've had all the top tier Bourbon Barrel stouts and I must say Bo & Luke was up there and maybe even better than the majority I've had. I really wish they would've done a small bottling of this kinda like the BBC St. Matthews did with their most recent Barrel aged stout Bomba (I think that's what it's called).

36. Midnight Sun BREWTALITY

37. Founder's Harvest Ale. Its probably my "beer of the year" or something. Got a 4-pack bottled October 14th sitting in my fridge....damn, so perfect.

jaIsPoAn likes this.
  38. This year, Heady Topper, Wookey Jack and 2012 Parabola. Excellent, excellent beers.

39. Of course this is going to be a brew tried at Dday. So many good ones, but event horizon I tried by lobo's truck with paintball363 and Bstyle blew me the fuck away! That was bright aa hell on my tongue after trying a number of heavy stouts (bcs variants included). I seriously thought it was dancing in my mouth good shit! I forget who busted that out Saturday, but mad thanks!

scifan and bstyle like this.
  40. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2011

Like a ton of others on here, Heady blew me away. Lagunitas Daytime also blew my mind. So much hoppy goodness at such low abv.

chimaychick and tcanaday like this.