1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Last beer to blow you away?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by mychalg9, Oct 29, 2012.

1. xnicknj

xnicknj Advocate (730) Pennsylvania May 25, 2009

i'm not sure about blown away but these were the most recent ones that i was really into:

tart of darkness
    shorts spruce pils
    BA4D
    this one goes to 11
    BB Pt5

2. aasher

aasher Champion (900) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

Schlafly Tasmanian IPA is pretty damn good. St. Feuillien Grand Cru was spectacular as well.

eyeenjoybeer likes this.
  3. rmalinowski4

rmalinowski4 Savant (350) Illinois Oct 22, 2010

Every time I have BCBS I'm blown away.

siege06nd likes this.
  4. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

Had my first heady topper a couple nights ago. I am afraid its ruined me.

MEW and stayclean like this.
  5. I wouldn't exactly say blown away, but I was very impressed by Lagunitas Daytime being as low abv as it is.

jminch, ThisWangsChung and siege06nd like this.
  6. I had never really had a lot of British beers, but I had Clay Street and Dr. Bartlett's from Bull City Burger. They totally blew me away.

Founders Harvest just blew any preconceived notions about wet hopped beers clear into kingdom come.

7. eajb24

eajb24 Aficionado (165) Connecticut May 26, 2005

Hopzilla by Lawsons Finest

bstyle likes this.
  8. teal

teal Aficionado (195) Wisconsin May 3, 2012

Don't know that any have ever "blown me away" but 2 that I was surprised by and have enjoyed more than most - Old Chub by Oskar Blues and Buffalo Sweat by Tallgrass.

9. egrace84

egrace84 Champion (845) Illinois Mar 25, 2012

Masala Mama this past weekend. I fell in love with this beer!

bstyle likes this.
  10. Serendipity! And probably Leon when I open that up soon!

11. New England Brewing Co. Ghandi-Bot (juicy & amazing, completely surprised)

yeti123 and siege06nd like this.
  12. udubdawg

udubdawg Advocate (505) Kansas Dec 11, 2006

homebrewed IPA, right now.
    The brewer is a genius. Humble too. ;)

sticking with what the rest of you are posting, uh, Noel de Calabaza was the most recent I suppose.

cheers--
    --Michael

13. Pittsky

Pittsky Aficionado (195) Florida May 28, 2009

funky buddha no crusts...it was like i got fucked in the face with a PBJ

beerFool28607 likes this.
  14. superspak

superspak Poobah (1,010) Michigan May 5, 2010

In the last month:

Dupont Foret
    St. Bernardus Tokyo
    Brooklyn Sorachi Ace (blew me away more than the first time I had it last year)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You could say I like Belgian style beer a bit :D

15. bstyle

bstyle Champion (805) Indiana Apr 27, 2006

16. teamizm

teamizm Savant (385) California Feb 4, 2005

HF Everett

Stouttyme likes this.
  17. lokieman

lokieman Savant (475) Oklahoma Jan 20, 2011

Heady Topper and (512) Pecan Porter cask w/blueberries and cocoa nibs. Heady Topper one of the few beers ever to live up to the hype in my head and the one off Pecan Porter was more delicious than it sounds....

18. superspak

superspak Poobah (1,010) Michigan May 5, 2010

Really looking forward to this one. I need to break it open soon

19. shand

shand Advocate (645) Florida Jul 13, 2010

Hop Rod Rye, for sure.

lokieman likes this.
  20. Gushue3

Gushue3 Savant (360) Massachusetts Jun 10, 2010

Kuhnhenn Road Rash Imperial Stout. As guy Fieri would say, "This stuff is off the hook!"

21. Thanks to some generous BAs, I'd say Mamouche and Upland Raspberry lambic.

22. DonDirkA

DonDirkA Savant (400) Arizona Dec 14, 2011

Someone else mentioned this, but Zombie Dust was another one. I'd heard it was good, but I'm not much for plain old pale ales yet I was able to get my hands on ONE 12 oz bottle so I figured, wtf why not? Holy shitballs, it was a piece of art, man!

[​IMG]

23. Fou Foune and Beatification after trying them for the first time over the Summer.

24. kini

kini Aficionado (100) Hawaii Jun 24, 2008

2010 the abyss that sat in my fridge since December 2010. It was the best beer I've ever had by a huge margin. Better than when it was fresh. Aging turned it from an awesome beer to liquid sex.

DonDirkA likes this.
  25. Zach136

Zach136 Advocate (560) Georgia Jun 17, 2012

Most recently...

Terrapin - So Fresh and So Green Green, wasn't expecting much with a 3.59 rAvg. But a taste pour at the brewery lead to me using up all but on of my tickets on it.

Also, Schlenkerla's Weizen was my first intro to smoked beers and that was pretty exciting.

26. ledzeppelin4

ledzeppelin4 Savant (365) Illinois May 18, 2011

Arrogant Bastard. People at the bar must've thought I was crazy when I started laughing to myself, getting all giddy at how much I liked it. (I tried it a couple years before and thought it tasted like sawdust. Thought I should try it again with my more "refined" palate. Glad I did.)

kagent777 likes this.
  27. Airyk12

Airyk12 Aficionado (155) Oregon Jan 1, 2011

2007 Fred from the Wood. Damn fine. Anyone who can make a beer that bottle conditions that well is worthy of praise, for sure.

28. shawnp

shawnp Savant (455) Minnesota Jan 15, 2010

Michigan Mud. S'more in a glass.......

29. gtermi

gtermi Champion (750) Texas Apr 21, 2010

I have to say Pliny the Elder. Just received a bottle in a trade and it for sure lives up to the hype.

DonDirkA likes this.
  30. nc41

nc41 Advocate (660) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

Founders Harvest - the best wet Hop I've ever had, and IMO much better than Wet or anything SN puts out.

Sublimely Self Righteous - love it, not a big black IPA fan, but this one is different and incredible.

fujindemon74 likes this.
  31. Drank an Adam batch 84 (this particular batch is tits, by the way) this summer and it made me remember how many spectacular beers are easy to come by. Drank another last night and had the same "Holy Hell, that is great!" moment.

32. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (845) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

Last Beer: Moylans Hopsickle
    Before that: Zombie Dust
    Before that: Odell Myrcenary

33. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (845) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

I have only had one bottle of my Harvest so far and although it's awesome I liked the Broo Doo I had on tap a little better.

34. Portico Brewing - Rendition. I had at the MA Craft Brewers Guild fest. Its a belgian sour wit that really stimulates the palate

35. Founders Harvest Ale is delicious but based on the wet hopped beers that I've tasted this year...

Wet > Harvest Ale > Sierra Nevada Southern Hemisphere (IMO)

tcanaday likes this.
  36. Just opened two bottles to celebrate the SF GIANTS CHAMPIONSHIP!
    The Wanderer
    Maple Tripple
    Both off the hook good

tcanaday likes this.
  37. Dark Horse BB Plead the 5th blew me away earlier this year. Surly Darkness (2012) blew me away on Saturday.

New Glarus Enigma and The Brew Kettle White Rajah (extra from tat2dhllblly - thx!) were very pleasant surprises.

38. ThickNStout

ThickNStout Savant (495) Georgia Mar 8, 2011

Burnt Hickory's Charred Walls of the Damned barleywine with half aged in brandy and half aged in whisky barrels. WAY better than I expected and just plain unfair to the other beers at Hotoberfest earlier this month.

39. I was going to post Flora as well. I was really caught off guard by how good it was.

40. Melange #3 and before that Persica