Last beer to blow you away?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by mychalg9, Oct 29, 2012.

1. scootsmal

scootsmal Savant (260) New York Aug 15, 2012

Jacks Abby Hoponius Union, great stuff. Wish its distribution was larger than just MA.

2. That means a lot coming from a west coast ticker. Jacks Abby is on the map

gueuzehead, ehammond1 and FosterJM like this.
  3. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (835) California Nov 16, 2009

You can thank my boston RS guys. They have sent a few bottles to me. All have been solid and trust me, I will tell you. I dislike most lagers.

Cheers!

4. KevSal

KevSal Advocate (605) California Oct 17, 2010

a home brew of M. it was seriously delicious!

5. Lare453

Lare453 Champion (790) Florida Feb 1, 2012

Bcbvs
    Bcbcs
    B sexual chocolate

6. Mother of All Storms.

:rolleyes:

7. Pelican5

Pelican5 Savant (320) California Feb 4, 2012

CBS for sure.

8. De Struisse Outblack was pretty tasty...that was my most recent amazing brew anyway.

9. powpow1

powpow1 Aspirant (35) Pennsylvania Oct 31, 2012

As with every year Sierra Nevada Northern Hemisphere. It has yet to dissapoint!

10. Founders Devil Dancer, not rare, but pretty badass. Oh yes and also of course, BCBS.

11. Mscarpen

Mscarpen Savant (345) Tennessee Apr 2, 2011

A 2007 Central Waters Y2K Barleywine I picked up at a bottle shop over the summer. Insanely good!

Exiled likes this.
  12. Gotta be honest......FFF Zombie Dust blew my mind pale ale style!

GorillaFistBrewing likes this.
  13. Tonight BBA Big Sound and Chocolate Good Gourd were effing tremendous.

Hunaphu wasn't terrible either.

Mscarpen likes this.
  14. turfy

turfy Savant (385) Texas Mar 17, 2010

Cascade The Vine. Not a huge sour fan but this one made a convert of me.

15. It had been a while since I tasted a beer and really thought WOW. Three weeks ago I had Ommegang's Scythe and Sickle (on tap) and thought this MAY be the most complex beer I have ever tasted. A masterpiece.

16. dlello2

dlello2 Savant (370) Illinois Nov 11, 2011

Pogue's Run Porter by Flat 12 in Indiana. Dunno why, but that beer got to me... it's not the best porter I've ever had, but it's a damn good one.

Bought a couple sixers as we can't get it in Chicago. Each time I have one I shake my head at how nice it is.

jtosh likes this.
  17. stealth

stealth Advocate (580) Minnesota Dec 16, 2011

cuvee des jacobins, albeit I have this quite often. every time I pour a glass it melts my face off, though.

18. mitch3114

mitch3114 Savant (320) New York Feb 20, 2012

for me it was monster from brooklyn ... that is a great barley wine ale - tried it couple months ago, picked up a 4 pack from 2010 at beverage center!

19. mitch3114

mitch3114 Savant (320) New York Feb 20, 2012

also last night magic hat heart of darkness... not a big MH guy but what a tasty stout!

20. DonDirkA

DonDirkA Savant (410) Arizona Dec 14, 2011

Man, I had a chance to buy this last weekend at Total Wine and I passed because I've tried #9 and Circus Boy and I was NOT impressed at all. In fact I gave away the Circus and I have a #9 sitting in my fridge for someone else to drink (whoever wants it). I wish I would've grabbed a bottle.

21. CircusBoy

CircusBoy Savant (320) Ohio Mar 10, 2008

Founders Porter. I can't believe I just had this for the first time a week ago. When I'm in the mood I'll be choosing this over Breakfast Stout from now on.

22. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

Just had my first GD Yeti on the weekend. Wowzas. Then happened to find some Oaked Yeti in bottles. Bonus!

DonDirkA likes this.
  23. JBatman

JBatman Aficionado (130) Indiana Aug 22, 2009

St. Arnold Pumpkinator

Exiled likes this.
  24. Had Surly Five for the first time at Darkness Day, my god was it amazing! Had many mind blowing beers last weekend but that was by far the best for me.

25. stealth

stealth Advocate (580) Minnesota Dec 16, 2011

another year of aging did five wonders. I'm sure glad Surly is going to make it an annual release.

In other news, tart of darkness rocked my ass off last night.

26. Beatification was the funkiest most sour beer I have ever had and I dug every sip of it...However, most recently Peche n' Brett absolutely blew me away. It is so perfectly done that it made me want to move to Oregon

27. cocoapuph

cocoapuph Savant (390) California Mar 4, 2011

Apple brandy Hunahpu = WHOA

28. De Struise Earthmonk 2008. Holy god damn awesome vinegar greatness. I know that beer has a very love/hate reputation but I would buy cases if I could.

29. mverity

mverity Savant (440) Florida Oct 6, 2012

So I have already posted in the thread once; that being said... Harviestoun's Old Engine Oil. I had it two nights ago, and WOW! The Ola Dubhs are fantastic as well from what I hear. I have the 12 year, and plan to crack it open this weekend and compare with the original. Super yummy, oily, goodness, aged in whiskey barrels. I can't wait.

30. This is easily one of my favorite brews. It's just so awesome with that delicious lactose added.

sleuthdog likes this.
  31. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (965) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

Whose Your Daddy? did, then Harvest Ale did.

32. Giddy-up!

Heady Topper!

33. BeerNDoggerel

BeerNDoggerel Savant (340) Illinois Mar 13, 2011

I'm right there with you. I opened a Founder's Harvest last week and wasn't paying attention when I went to take the first sip--I was preoccupied, acting like it was just another beer. The aroma and flavor were so wonderful it made my head spin. It got my attention in a hurry!

34. Biffster

Biffster Savant (365) Michigan Mar 29, 2004

hmmm.....hard to say. I think if you define "blow you away" as an "aha" moment, then it might be Kuhnhenn DRIPA. It's been a few years since I discovered it. It is, in my opinion, brilliant. I've been so disappointed with most DIPAs. Most DIPAs lack balance, Ive found. Add enough malt to achieve the profile and alcohol to stand up to the massive hops, and you have a thick, often cloying beer. Eric and Bret Kuhnhenn found a way around that by drying the beer out somewhat with rice (hence the "I" in DRIPA). The result is a balanced and dangerously drinkable, yet substantial, DIPA.

If you define it as "pleasantly surprised me", I would go with Arbor Brewing Phat Abbot Dubbel and Shiner Oktoberfest. I know both breweries well and have been inside both (one more than I care to admit) and both VERY pleasantly surprised me. Phat Abbot blew away previous draft experiences with a bottle conditioned version that was very impressive. Arbor/ Corner (long story) finally put together a truly solid Belgian Dubbel - not harsh, very effervescent, malty and estery and quite frankly, brilliant with food.

Shiner (from the Spoetzl Brewery) has long been the girl I liked to see when no one knew I was seeing her, but I strongly urge you to find Shiner Oktoberfest and try it. This is not an American Oktoberfest (tm) (read: caramel and hop forward) from the brewery in Shiner Tx (pronounced Shah-nur) pop 2000. I can tell you from experience that this would stand up proudly under a giant blue and white tent in Munich.

I just saw this thread, it piqued my interest. I haven't read it all and I have no idea if this is even where it was heading, but I was inspired to share....

Cheers.

35. maximep

maximep Savant (265) New York Oct 23, 2009

Cascade Vine
    Sang Noir
    2010 Zwanze. 2010 Zwanze is the best wild ale ive had.

36. 1998 Alexander Rodenbach. Fucking stupid good

ehammond1 likes this.
  37. mammal33

mammal33 Aficionado (110) Georgia Apr 23, 2012

JW Lees Harvest Ale 2002, few mths ago.....

38. JoeyBeerBelly

JoeyBeerBelly Initiate (0) New York Dec 15, 2006

I had a few bottles of Founders Harvest Ale on October 29th and they "blew me away"...
    or maybe it was the 90mph winds from Hurricane Sandy?

39. Brooklyn Black Choc. Stout. Had it on tap few days ago, and was phenomenal. Didn't expect it to be as good as it was.