1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Last beer to blow you away?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by mychalg9, Oct 29, 2012.

1. harperman69

harperman69 Savant (355) Tennessee Feb 11, 2009

Revolution's Anti-Hero IPA. Not really blown away, but majorly surprised by how good it was.
    ChadQuest likes this.
  2. ripps1

ripps1 Savant (375) New Jersey Aug 28, 2012

Deliverance by Lost Abbey. Can't believe how good that beer was.
    SaintBenedict likes this.
  3. stealth

stealth Advocate (545) Minnesota Dec 16, 2011

I had Flanders Fred this weekend and damn that was a good sour ale. Had it at a friend's party and had handful of non beer drinkers sample it and they all loved it as well. Potential new gateway beer for converting others to sours :)
    mathematizer likes this.
  4. krl2112

krl2112 Advocate (575) Illinois Nov 10, 2012

I really enjoy Founders Breakfast Stout. Not KBS, just the regular, seasonal breakfast stout. One of my favs!!
  5. Port Brewing Older Viscosity.

Looked at it for a long time, just recently had one.
  6. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Savant (395) Wisconsin Mar 13, 2010

CCB Marshal Zhukov a little over a year old. My friend and I where both opening stuff in our cellars over the holiday. Over the course of a couple days we had 2012 parabola and Sucaba, Some Central Waters La petite Mort, and DFH Bitches Brew. Even after all that CCB Marshal Zhukov was my hands down favorite of them all. To cap it off on black Friday I had CBS on tap at a bar and even after that if you put CBS and MZ in front of me and told me to choose my head would explode.
  7. DruRho

DruRho Initiate (0) Maryland Sep 3, 2012

DuClaw's Retribution.
    I was shocked at how much I loved this beer, especially compared to hyped BA beers like BCBS.
  8. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

Absolutely blew my mind! Probably the best American Wild ale I have ever had. Really reminded me of some of the well aged straight Gueuze's from Loon and 3F.
    [​IMG]
    davey101 likes this.
  9. Terrapin/Shmaltz 2012 Reunion. I've read several revievs and none of them matched what I got out of it. I think it must have been a bad keg (BUT IN A GOOD WAY), infected or something.
  10. HF Arthur!
    Gosox8787 likes this.
  11. BillieWest

BillieWest Aficionado (165) Oct 13, 2012

Dogfish Head Sahtea was surprisingly delicious. "Chai tea spices" and "beer" together freaked me out, but now I'm a firm believer. Not too sweet or overpowering at all. Makes me very curious about the Etrusca.
  12. Hardywood Gingerbread Stout! It lives up to the hype for sure
    Chris_Cali_2o9 likes this.
  13. RDMII

RDMII Savant (290) Georgia Apr 11, 2010

Boulevard Dark Truth for me too. For someone who's had a lot of stouts, I didn't think there was a lot more to jump to, but this one blew me away.
  14. Hill Farmstead's Society & Solitude #5 was the last one to do it for me. Incredible beer. I can't wait to try Susan in a couple of days to see if they continue to knock hoppy beers out of the park.
  15. JRSD

JRSD Aficionado (150) California Oct 27, 2006

Karl Strauss Peanut Butter Cup Porter. Had a great Reece's nose and tasted like a nutty porter. Great balance so that the peanut did not overpower the rest of the beer. Easily the best beer I have ever tried from Karl.
  16. Most recently, The Great Pumpkin. Simply the best pumpkin beer I have ever had.
    Before that, in reverse order:
    Not that I haven't had other great beers recently. But I was unprepared to like the above beers as much as I did.
    In contrast, this year's Darkness didn't end up blowing me away, because it really wasn't a departure from previous years (I have had '07-'12 multiple times each), but after reviewing it -- it finally occurred to me that I should review a Surly beer -- I discovered that I had given it my highest score ever in a review.
    RDMII likes this.
  17. I mentioned it another thread awhile back, but I will say it again, Logsdon Seizoen Bretta is my beer of the year. It blew me away. I have had several over the past few months. Every time I have had one, new flavors seem to come through.
    beerpadawan likes this.
  18. xnicknj

xnicknj Advocate (730) Pennsylvania May 25, 2009

3 beers blew me away over the holiday weekend:

Churchill's Finest Hour '12
    Bourbon Barrel Dark Lord '12
    Brandy Vanilla Bean Dark Lord '11

We had a pretty sizable stout tasting and these three absolutely dominated everything else on the table.
  19. jaIsPoAn

jaIsPoAn Savant (365) New York Aug 1, 2012

Founders harvest and it looks like this one is the winner
    jrnyc and HarrySTruman like this.
  20. +1. Pardon the pun, but Deliverance was heavenly.

Lately, I also really enjoyed King Henry, Westvletern 12 and Hoppin Frog Barrel Aged Naked Evil.
  21. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

I've been walking past this beer everytime I hit the bomber room at my local bottleshop.
    [​IMG]

now I can't get enough.
  22. Zombie Dust. During a visit to the Chicago area, I visited the brewery. Damn I wish I had driven there - even if it was a 2 case maximum.
    jrnyc and ChadQuest like this.
  23. Savearth

Savearth Savant (305) Michigan Mar 5, 2012

Not sure if this one has been mentioned already, but I really enjoyed Kuhnhenn's DRIPA (double rice IPA) on tap. Ranked right up there with Pliny, HT, and ZD for me.
    otispdriftwood likes this.
  24. A few other recent beers that were pretty memorable:

Zombie Dust
    Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei Leipziger Holzbock
    Lips of Faith Super IPA
    Cascade / Raccoon Lodge The Vine
    Barrel Aged Old Ruffian
    Eclipse Elijah Craig
    Schmaltz Sweet 16
    Folklore Tale of Van Winkle
  25. tronto

tronto Aficionado (225) Kentucky Dec 22, 2010

king henry, Bourbon barrel plead the fifth, weyerbacher insanity, cbs. It's been awhile since I've had my mind blown unfortunately, but I have faith it'll happen again.
  26. Deschutes Jubelale ... maybe it was because this was the first Winter Warmer I've tried but wow, I thought this beer was amazing. Got so many different flavors out of it.

Honorable mentions to Victory Storm King Stout and Stone Smoked Porter.
  27. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

28. Chris_Cali_2o9

Chris_Cali_2o9 Aficionado (245) Nov 18, 2012

I think the last time i was actually blown away was last year with 2011 Sierra Nevada Estate Ale.

Closest thing to blowing my mind since then was last week, trying Dust Bowl Brewings Chocolate Coffee Porter on tap. So freakin delicious!! I swear they could sell it at starbucks and you wouldn't know it was a beer until you walked into work with a buzz!
  29. stayclean

stayclean Savant (360) Wisconsin Mar 17, 2012

Wish any stores around here would have a cellar sale... with some 08 BCBS... blargh!
    davey101 likes this.
  30. New Belgium's La Folie, and recently, Schlafly Pumpkin Ale. Very surprising.
  31. chocosushi

chocosushi Savant (450) Oklahoma May 1, 2011

Most recently?
    Rodenbach Grand Cru
    RDMII likes this.
  32. DonDirkA

DonDirkA Savant (400) Arizona Dec 14, 2011

Palo Santo is an amazing brew. I had one 20 months aged recently and it definitely blew me away. I have an Adam waiting to be opened (soon, maybe tonight) so I'll see where that goes.
  33. had an 08 bcbs tonight, have had it several times, but tonight it was amazing, possibly even more delicious.
  34. sukwonee

sukwonee Advocate (535) Washington Dec 13, 2011

For me, it was Founders Harvest ale (yum).
    jrnyc likes this.
  35. The Frostbite from Cottonwood. Foothills just started brewing this brand and the frostbite is a black ipa, juicy citrus hop and a nice roasted malt to finish... good beer.
  36. Chris_Cali_2o9

This
    [​IMG]
    About 4 hours ago

It did for me, what Enjoy by could not.
  37. davey101

davey101 Initiate (0) Connecticut Apr 14, 2009

CCB Leon and Sebago BA BW were my surprises of '12
    Gosox8787 and ChadQuest like this.
  38. davey101

davey101 Initiate (0) Connecticut Apr 14, 2009

Liking the Cisco love! The Woods series is phenomenal and deserves more attention.
  39. Chris_Cali_2o9

Really? That good huh? I pass on this all the time, i'll have to try it.
  40. 120 Minute IPA
    DevilsCups and ErikTheRedd like this.