1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Last Hill Farmstead question (I searched) what to expect?

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by Dmbphoenix, Mar 2, 2013.

1. So with a drive up north tomorrow, Alchemist is pretty much a snowball's chance in hell that I 'll find anyhting at the cannery and on the way to Jeffersonville.

And I WAS going ot instead stop at HF yesterday but luckily a colleague of mine told me forget it, its a 2 hours growler fill line! So HF is out tomorrow too.

Never had HF but will gladly stop for lunch at one of their listed serving vendors for a few drinks.

We're driving back Weds and I was initially going to backtrack the same way and hit the Alchemist on the way home.

So now I'm debating getting to HF on Wednesday at noon. What could I expect there? I'd like to just get in and out real quick. Is that realistic?

2. dunix

dunix Savant (460) Vermont Jan 26, 2011

Alchemist just posted they are sold out of cans @ the cannery for the weekend. If you do go back by Wednesday, make sure to check Facebook/Twitter to verify they haven't run out.

The few times I've gone to HF on Wednesday it was pretty empty. With Norma possibly lasting till next week, you might see a larger amount than normal. Will probably be hit or miss either way.

3. Franch

Franch Advocate (540) New York Mar 22, 2011

Just get there tomorrow at like 11.

4. jglowe77

jglowe77 Initiate (0) Massachusetts Jan 24, 2011

If you just buy bottles (non-growler fills) you can skip the line. Otherwise, wait. I promise you that the beer is worth it.

5. Fujii13

Fujii13 Savant (250) New York Apr 27, 2011

Good luck with skipping the line when there are two limited release bottles on the shelf, one of which they're sure to run out of today.

6. POTABLE83

POTABLE83 Savant (410) New York Jun 21, 2012

It's possible - when i was there on Thursday, two people (probably 15 people behind me) who were just getting bottles, were allowed to skip the line and buy their bottles on the spot. Obviously with Norma probably running out today, who knows if HF will allow that..

7. vonnegut21

vonnegut21 Advocate (545) New York Apr 27, 2012

The Alchemist is canning on Wednesdays now, so you should be fine there. I was there this past Wednesday and there was plenty. If you go to Hill Farmstead on Wednesday, it will really depend. If there's still Norma available, there's going to be a line. Don't fear the line. It's worth it. Pick up a growler of Society and Solitude #6 and a growler of Harlan, get some bottles and enjoy the experience.

8. NYCBUCKEYE

NYCBUCKEYE Savant (255) New York Jan 21, 2013

If you were only getting bottles, you were allowed to skip the line. Opened early too!!

9. Franch

You were there?

10. Had some today at the worthy burger. Definitely worth it!!

As it turns out, my bro is up this weekend w us. So he'll hit alchemist on Monday and I'll hit HF on weds!

Worthy burger, had the solitute#6. Wow

11. They did open early today. No samples before noon, but I got there around 11:10, and walked right in. Phil said he saw the line and opened early to cut some time off the end of his day. They really do a great job there...doing their best to accomodate everyone with the increased volume...

Jwale73 likes this.
  12. Jwale73

Jwale73 Advocate (705) Rhode Island Aug 15, 2007

Alchemist sold out on Friday around 5pm. I don't think they will put anything out until Wednesday, but I am not 100% sure. Check the forums re: the Cannery though, I could be mistaken.

13. They can Monday and Wednesday now

14. celfan

celfan Savant (465) Vermont Jul 4, 2004

Wednesday? Not Thursday?

15. They changed canning days after the latest expansion a couple weeks ago

16. NYCBUCKEYE

Yeah! My wife and I made the trip. We stopped by HF about 11:40 on Saturday and got through quickly then headed to Lawsons. Worked out pretty well.

Obviously you also made the trip. How was your weekend? Did you end up hanging out around Waterbury or Montpelier? Seems like some good bars in the area.

17. Franch

we did the same thing but were at HF at like 10:40. funny. three penny taproom for double sunshine cask at 3pm saturday, pro pig/blackback in waterbury saturday night.

18. NYCBUCKEYE

Sounds like a fun weekend - too bad we missed you guys. We ended up doing a bit of skiing after grabbing beers then went out in Burlington on Saturday nights. We are probably going to try and stop by Torst on Friday.

19. Onizilla

Onizilla Aficionado (225) New York Apr 25, 2009

I looked for the adorable dog at the Double Sunshine cask tapping and didn't see a single one, The milkbones in my pocket were wasted!

20. celfan

thanks.

that's going to make weekend Heady a tough find.

21. Thanks. Alchemist worked out well today.

Leaving jeffersonville on weds @ 10, so will be at HF early, hopin the might open a few moments early.

Much appeciate the info, all.

Able to secure a few cases of HT for myself and a friend. Luckily he'll be back up this way in the summer and will cover my summer fix

22. Heading home from the brewery now.

They were nice enough to let a few stragglers in for sales of bottles prior to noon.

The door was left a few inches open prior to noon.

By noon, they were 4 people standing outside the door. Then at 12:00 noon, right on the nose, the first lady on line reached for the door handle and door got shut and locked on her. Quite inappropriate to say the least and uncalled for....

Then they let everyone in at 12:04.

They had a growler filling process going in a pretty efficient way. Left with about 20 assorted bottles in 30mins.

We'll enjoy the beers but honestly, if that's how they treat people lining up at the door, their patrons and fans, they could stand to do better.

23. celfan

I was right behind you and thought the same thing. I was pretty surprised.

But I noticed when we got inside they had tape over the latch on the door so it wouldn't close (don't know why they did this). Anyway the door stayed open several inches the entire time I was inside. I wouldn't be surprised if someone saw the the door was open and tried to close it as she reached for it - without knowing she was trying to get in. The door wouldn't stay closed unless you locked it because of the taped latch and this may explain why they locked it. I tried shutting the door a couple times when I was in there but it wouldn't close and kept blowing open.

Shaun was pretty friendly when he opened the door to let us in and I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt on this one. I've complained in the past about some things, but I've been there dozens of times and I've never seen anyone disrespected.

Dmbphoenix likes this.
  24. I can't remember the last time I've seen this happen.

I'm going to have to agree with celfan's assessment of the situation you are describing with the door being shut and locked. I'm guessing it was unintentional, maybe you didn't see the tape over the latch?

25. celfan

I actually caught myself locking the door to keep it shut, then realized I'd be locking out customers.

26. IT WAS YOU!!!!!! (kidding)

I would assume the tape is for when they are bringing cases of beer into the brewery so they dont have to stuggle to open the door and without opening the garage door.

27. That wasn't you with they rectangular shaped glasses behind you, was it?

I gotta be honest, I hope you guys are right. Believe me, I found it very odd, especially in light of the fact that they did let people in before noon to buy bottles. And they got me out in a very expeditious manner.

Hopefully they will see this and realize that it's not the action, but the perception of what happened. As a business owner myself, I would hate for my clientele to be left with poor perception of my establishment over something so trivial!

A doorlatch of some kind sounds a simple fix ;)

28. celfan

yes, that was me

29. cj8311

cj8311 Aficionado (245) Maryland Nov 12, 2008

Thanks for this. Trying to plan a "get in / get out" visit to HF in September.

If I arrive early on a Wednesday, even if they don't open up until noon, is it safe bet I can make a 5:15 flight out of Burlington?

30. Yes. I'd arrive by 11:30 to be sure you're either at the front of the line, or very near the front. The first 3-5 people in line can be in and out of HF in 15 minutes. Anything longer than that and the wait grows (growler fills take time).

31. celfan

Well if they released a bottle on that Wednesday it would be worse. But generally Thursdays are the best day - and then Wed. I got a growler yesterday at the opening and was back in Burlington around 2:15.

32. cj8311

cj8311 Aficionado (245) Maryland Nov 12, 2008

Thanks. plan is stay in Waterbury Tuesday night, so I should be able to get their "whenever," barring a wicked hangover.

33. brikelly

brikelly Savant (430) New Hampshire Apr 11, 2010

Oooof, I'd avoid staying in Waterbury then. The Pig and Blackpack have very strong siren calls :)

34. Planning a trip in early May. Was gonna drive from Ottawa early in the morning, hit up Heady Topper for 11 or 12, then jet over to HF and load up as much as possible. Will there be a giant line up and wait at 2pm on a Friday?

35. brikelly

On a Friday my guess is you'll be in and out of HF in max 1 hour. Less if there is crappy weather.

36. Very cool. Need to get back to Waterbury in time to begin mass consumption as early as possible.

franklinn likes this.
  37. Is that because there will be less available? Would there still be enough delicious beer to be worth going on a Friday or do they run dry of just about everything?

38. brikelly

It's because Fridays are workdays for most beer geeks around New England and the line will be minimal, maybe 4 or 5 people I'd guess. The crowds will be way more likely to drive up on Saturdays instead. Also, HF only really "runs out" of limited bottle releases. I've never seen a keg kick for growler fills (thankfully).

39. I'm not too concerned about limited releases. Just want to grab 2-3 bottles and a growler or two. Can you bring your own growlers to fill?

40. celfan

yep, just no clear glass.