1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

Last Year's Bigfoot?

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by JamesShoemaker, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Hey BAs,

I was just wondering how many of you had had 2012 Bigfoot recently. I acquired a few dozen bottles, most of which are reserved for future verts, but, not being able to help myself, I've consumed one or two of them. To be completely honest, I don't think any of the flavors have faded with a year of proper cellaring. It still tastes like a syrupy barley bomb. Has anyone else had this experience?

I know there are a number of factors that may have contributed to my opinion of the taste (and I know I might get flamed), but, gosh, it just tastes identical to the fresh stuff.

Cheers.

kojevergas likes this.
  2. I've been eyeing the last few sixers sitting in the refrig. case at my local shop- I'll definitely have to pick one up just to check it out.

3. I tried 2011, 2012, 2013 in a mini-vertical with my brother-in-law and his girlfriend. I liked 2012 best, I thought it was slightly mellowed from the 2013.

[​IMG]

dachshunddude86 and OneBeertoRTA like this.
  4. It's completely affordable and still tasty, so you should definitely go for it. Also, the transition from four to six packs was a misstep on the part of SN, IMO.

JuniperJesus likes this.
  5. Within the last week I've had both the 2012 and 2013. The bitterness was definitely more present in the fresher one as you would expect. The 2012 had a bigger and sweeter barley taste. Both were great but I liked the fresh bottle a little more. And as far as the move to 4 packs goes, you can't really blame them if they weren't making much profit like they said. It's still a decent price for the quality.

6. Indeed. Was this the first year that SN did four packs? Narwhal and Bigfoot were both released as such...

7. Dtapeski

Dtapeski Aficionado (195) Colorado Oct 26, 2012

Not a misstep if the other option was to raise prices, which is what was being floated out there. I picked up a 4pk for $7.99 and have no issue with it being packaged that way.

8. Damn. I was in one of those distro ranges where the four pack was identically priced to the six packs in previous years. Maybe that was your case too...

9. I recently did a vertical of 2006' - 2013' & Barrel Aged. 2006 and 2008 are drinking the best right now for my preference, as well as the tasting group. You will be rewarded with patience my friend...

As for the Barrel Aged...man, I found that beer to be sort of a mess. Flavors have not come together right yet. I hope I have the willpower to let those sit 4-5+ years.

10. BourbonDork

BourbonDork Savant (300) Virginia Sep 15, 2010

I found a 2012 sixer about two weeks ago but haven't popped one yet.

11. kona650

kona650 Savant (270) California Jun 12, 2011

There's a place by my home that still has about 4 cases of 2012!! Going to have to stop by and pick some up!!!

12. Some accounts were seriously delayed last year. The store where I usually shop didn't get their drop until around April, and by then there was little interest for Bigfoot anymore- that's why there are still sixers in the cooler.

13. kemoarps

kemoarps Advocate (665) Washington Apr 30, 2008

There is a store right near my work that has been selling 2010 Bigfoots (and a couple other vintage barleywines) for like 2 bucks each. Same place I got all my Parabolas for cheaper than anywhere I found in the big city. Pleasant surprise for the middle of bumfuck nowhere

14. JamesShoemaker likes this.
  15. Prh27

Prh27 Savant (310) Virginia Apr 24, 2012

I agree. I've tried two of my 12's and felt there was no noticeable change. Surprisingly, fresh 13 is pretty delicous as is.

16. brewbicle

brewbicle Zealot (80) Minnesota Mar 29, 2011

I just replied in the "march 2013 cellar reviews" thread on this very beer. I opened a '10, '11, '13. It took until the '10 for the hops to ease up and the malts to come forward. I won't be opening any Bigfoot's younger than 3 years anymore. The '10 was great and I felt still had a lot of potential to keep going.