1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Late night north dfw rant

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by Fitzmke, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Fitzmke

Fitzmke Savant (250) Texas Dec 27, 2011

It blows my mind that Lonestar in Carrollton is charging 15.99 for sculpin and kegs and barrels in plano is charging 11. I'm all for free market but gimme a god damn break! No wonder sam's closed. Stop ass bangin your customers!
  2. aggie20031

aggie20031 Zealot (95) Texas Oct 14, 2009

Hall's in Colleyville does the same. Sculpin is near 16 bucks a six pack and they have had Aprihop 4 packs at 15.99
  3. canadianghetto

canadianghetto Savant (465) Texas Oct 15, 2011

I would buy Sculpin for $16 6-pack if it was here in Houston. Stop whining.

Just playing with you man :) I hope it doesn't take too long for BP to get enough here to distribute to other big markets in TX!
  4. raffy313

raffy313 Savant (405) Texas Dec 15, 2010

Was there a gun to your head when you paid that price for a 6'er of Sculpin? The best way to protest what you feel is unfair pricing is with your wallet. Assuming you actually paid that price and not just complaining to complain.
  5. lonestarbev

lonestarbev Aficionado (215) Texas Oct 18, 2006

@fitzmke

I am sorry that you felt that the price, $15.99 for the sixer is expensive.

My cost for a six pack is $12.00 and at $15.99 its barely a 25% profit margin.

I would love to be more cost effective for everyone, but unfortunately to be able to pay all of our expenses here at the shop (ie rent, employees, utilities...) and stay open.
    I have to charge a price that is acceptable for all.

I don't want to get into details of running a beer store and numbers or get into a debate, but we try to stay aggresive with our pricing and stay competetive with others in the market as much as I can.

In the future if you or anyone has any questions or concerns, please feel free to hit me up. I am sure others here in the southwest forum will back me up and tell you that I am passionate about beer and my shop, and I will do whatever I can do to make every trip to my store an awesome one!

Thanks,

Rick
    jforeman, Eurytos, raffy313 and 6 others like this.
  6. lonestarbev

lonestarbev Aficionado (215) Texas Oct 18, 2006

And also about kegs and barrels charging $11 for sculpin. I suggest you check your receipt, you may have bought the big eye ipa which retails for $11 or the clerk at kegs and barrels may have charged you the wrong price for the sculpin.

According to my bud at k&b their sculpin is the same price as mine here at lonestar.

I understand everyone makes mistakes, but next time maybe you should think before writing another rant.

Rick
    canadianghetto likes this.
  7. thirdeye11

thirdeye11 Savant (445) Texas Feb 3, 2009

I've shopped with Rick for years. No he's not the cheapest guy on the block, and never will be. He's not intending to be either. Sometimes you have to know your niche, and he definitely knows his. If I want a store to reserve a beer for me or order something special, he's one of the few places in town I can rely on to do just that because we have a relationship.

He hires good people who know their beer, he always has the newest and greatest releases first, and that's part of what you pay for is good service. If you're unwilling to pay for good service, then his shop probably isn't for you fitzmke which is ok, because myself and lots of other DFW folks love shopping with a small local business, and supporting our friends.

I don't know anyone at Spec's or Central Market, mostly because their people turn over frequently and the owners don't work in there on a daily basis. I'll gladly pay a buck or two more on something to have the best service with a great selection while supporting my small business friends. Also, I imagine you're mistaken on the Sculpin pricing. While Rick isn't the cheapest guy out there, he's certainly not 40% higher on any product I've ever seen. He's also not the most expensive by far. I found that shop recently, and while I won't mention any names, Rick's prices are quite fair.

Cheers,
    Chad
  8. Fitzmke

Fitzmke Savant (250) Texas Dec 27, 2011

I did purchase my sculpin from Lonestar and didn't have a huge issue paying that much for a sixer of world class beer( despite the fact that it's 2 and a half months old but that's another issue). The employee working at kegs and barrels said specifically that they had sculpin for $11. I even specifically asked if it was sculpin or big eye. If the employee misinformed me I apologize for my rant. I do enjoy shopping at Lonestar and found the service and selection to justify higher than average prices.