Dismiss Notice
Sneak peek! BeerAdvocate magazine #104 (September 2015) featuring Leah & Oscar from Highland Brewing in Asheville, North Carolina. Learn more ...
Dismiss Notice
Join The Buzz! Subscribe to our newsletter and get the latest BeerAdvocate updates delivered to your inbox.

Late yeast addition

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by brewrouse, Dec 22, 2012.

1. brewrouse

brewrouse Aficionado (125) Minnesota Jan 28, 2010 Verified

Give me some thoughts on this. I am brewing a IIPA - using the same recipe I did last time I made it. I achieved a 1.116 OG and 1.024 FG. Comes out to around 12.5% beer. It was still a bit "sugary" and I want to do it again, but dry it out a bit - looking for a 1.012-1.010. Problem is the yeasts (WL001,WL007) I used are "terminal" at this %. What about adding a WL099 or WL090 (San Diego) after initial fermentation slows. I have used the WL099 as a primary yeast and did not like the results - lots of off-flavors I do not want.
    Anyone done this kind of "late" yeast addition, and would you make a starter with the higher tolerant yeast?

2. MrOH

MrOH Advocate (525) Maryland Jul 5, 2010

you could alway try a starter of 3711 after a week. Shouldn't throw off much flavor that late in the game.

3. NiceFly

NiceFly Savant (395) Tajikistan Dec 22, 2011

I have been thinking about this myself.

I plan on using Champagne yeast, but that may not be the best choice for you. I just want to make sure all the simple sugars are fermented after using a low attenuating yeast. You want a yeast that will continue above and beyond on the more complex sugars. 3711 certainly fits that bill! Plus any flavor from 3711 will likely be blown out in a big IIPA.

The procedure I plan on using is making a starter for the 2nd yeast and cold crashing. Then when I am ready to pitch I will decant the old starter wort and add a few hundred ml of new starter wort and let it get going. When I see some decent activity, or it threatens to crawl out of the flask, I will pitch it. That way the yeast are at their best when I put them into the somewhat hostile environment of a nearly finished big beer.

inchrisin likes this.