1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Latest Pipeworks Releases and Updates

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by Lansman, May 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lansman

Lansman Savant (400) Illinois Mar 19, 2011

From the latest Friends with Benefits newsletter (5/29):

Available beginning this morning (Castle Vav & West Lakeview Liquors):

Glaucus - A Belgian Style IPA, 8.0% ABV, dry and refreshing, just in time for this heat!
    $8.99 / 22oz

Blood of the Unicorn, 8.5% ABV - Imperial Hoppy Red Ale, mega piney hops on this guy!
    $9.99 / 22oz

Opening of their own bottle shop currently targeted as an 'August/September opening date.'

Great to see good stuff continuing to come out of Pipeworks.
    Higy, 1up and chanokokoro like this.
  2. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

Yes yes yes! Hopefully there will be some left when I had down there on June 5th.
  3. rmalinowski4

rmalinowski4 Savant (330) Illinois Oct 22, 2010

New website looks good also!
  4. Treebs

Treebs Initiate (0) Illinois Apr 18, 2011

Agreed! I do love the bottling date/Batch # page tremendously....hint hint HOTD....
  5. ravot

ravot Savant (435) Illinois Mar 20, 2012

Thanksk for the info Lansman.

did you try any of the goods I gave you?
  6. Lansman

Lansman Savant (400) Illinois Mar 19, 2011

Not yet. Wanted to take some of it out on Lake Michigan Sunday but forgot- should get into some of it tonight!
  7. dvelcich

dvelcich Savant (330) Illinois Feb 6, 2008

Drinking a Smoked Porter right now, and while it's not my favorite style, it's done well enough for me to down a whole bomber by myself. ;)

Excited to try the new ones!
  8. mbockstruck30

mbockstruck30 Savant (325) Illinois Dec 31, 2010

stoked to try Blood of the Unicorn. wasn't a fan of the original EOD, but I thought the newest version was fantastic.
  9. MasterSki

MasterSki Site Editor (980) Illinois Dec 25, 2006 Staff Member

Agreed - the blue wax End of Days is 100% better than the first batch. Blood of the Unicorn and Glaucus are both pretty tasty as well. I also hear the upcoming Barrel Aged Smoked Porter bottles will have more whiskey flavor to them.
  10. Agold

Agold Advocate (510) Pennsylvania Mar 13, 2010

Chillin at GI after picking up my bottles. Really excited for these. Also I have to say blood of the unicorn label is amazing.
    DBCOACHEMUP likes this.
  11. Treebs

That is my lone complaint about the beer. I love how these guys listen to what we say and tweak the recipes. Class act all the way and it shows they care.
    Torieos and tfidler like this.
  12. ravot

anyone try hyper dog or close encounters? that's sitting in my fridge but i haven't gotten the chance to down them.
    hitting up san fran/petaluma tomorrow for about 5days. Lagunitas and Russian River here i come.
  13. mike409

mike409 Aficionado (200) Michigan Jan 25, 2012

Yes had both hyper is ok close encounter is super tasty
    DBCOACHEMUP likes this.
  14. Etan

Etan Advocate (745) Wisconsin Jul 11, 2011

Can't wait!
  15. I thought Hyper Dog was awesome and Close Encounters was just okay.
  16. MasterSki

MasterSki Site Editor (980) Illinois Dec 25, 2006 Staff Member

That's my opinion too, but apparently SimonesRules feels differently. =)
    SimonesRules likes this.
  17. ravot

as long as it's not the bacon beer from the other thread, looks solid.
  18. mbockstruck30

I really enjoyed both Hyper Dog and Close Encounter. Jones Dog is probably my fave so far though.
    SimonesRules likes this.
  19. Close encounter has been my favorite so far.
  20. Gladly got my bottles of Blood of the Unicorn and Glaucus! Can't wait to try these both after last week having Hyper Dog, Close Encounters, and Ninja vs Unicorn. Thank you Pipeworks!
  21. chanokokoro

chanokokoro Advocate (590) Illinois Jan 31, 2012

West Lakeview Liquors always gets good-sized shipments of Pipeworks. For those of you that collect glassware, here's another reason to head over there to pick the newest releases...

[​IMG]
    Talz420 and MarkIntihar like this.
  22. Damn, I didn't see those!
  23. Treebs

Even though I'm getting one for being a FwB I'll for sure pick up another. Looks like I have yet another reason to drive into the city this weekend...
  24. Pipeworks

Pipeworks Savant (325) Illinois May 28, 2009

The first batch of EoD was the 2nd beer we brewed on an unknown crazy ass system not meant to do what we are doing do it, so there was some dialing in.

The 2nd batch of Hyper Dog should be vastly improved also when it comes out in June, similar to EoD improvements. Likewise Jones Dog will also be improved once we brew that again, maybe in July.

Today we're brewing more Ninja vs Unicorn since it seems to be sold out of every store except Binny's South Loop who put it in a weird spot in the store while Chris was in Belgium with Vav and they only sold a few cases.

Friday we'll be brewing a lovely golden strong ale (not a triple!) that'll be in some 750's, very refreshing beer.
    Next week we'll be another refreshing brew, the first of many saisons.

Also, Close Encounter, happens to be one of our favorite beers we've brewed, we think it's tits. Seems like a black IPA when it's fresh, but after a month or so it really settles in to what it is, a piney hoppy double stout. Binny's Lincoln Park has a fair amount of it since we released that beer twice back to back (not on purpose) and it's on sale right now for a $1off if anyone feels like stocking up...
    Christopper, NpD, chanokokoro and 6 others like this.
  25. mjohnson17

mjohnson17 Advocate (585) Illinois Apr 29, 2012

Stopped by Binny's on Grand last night around 5:30 and there was still a few bottle of Ninja vs Unicorn left. Also saw the Smoked Porter, End of Days, and Close Encounter. Limited quantities of each so no guarantee they're still there.

On a side note - great job Pipeworks! Delicious stuff. I can't wait to see how the smoked porter tastes with some age on it.
  26. mbockstruck30

Agreed. Keep up the great work, guys!
  27. Pipeworks

DROOO likes this.
  28. Just opened my bottle of Hyper Dog last night - I liked it and will try to find another bottle to age. Something about vanilla in a beer makes me need to age it to mellow it and make it smoother. I thought some aging (either in the bottle or in a barrel) of Abita's Vanilla Turbodog would have made it a stellar beer.

Anyway, the aroma of Hyper Dog was incredible. Was a lot thinner and muted tasting compared with the aroma. Still liked it and look forward to trying more of their beers.
  29. ravot

thanks for that.

Maria's for 2 weekends in a row had Stone's smoked porter in vanilla on tap. great beer.
  30. What would you guys say is different about the newer EODs?

I wasn't crazy about the first go around either, but I'd give it another shot.

@Pipeworks - what are you plannin on 'fixing' with Jones Dog? I thought that one was pretty good as is.
  31. Pipeworks

It was a brand new system and nothing was dialed in. The beer is now 8.2% ABV opposed to the 6% it was before, it's much much fuller in body, more balanced, and tasty. Personally, big fan of Jones Dog but that one is getting an ABV bump as well and bigger body.
  32. mishuggah

mishuggah Savant (255) Illinois Jul 14, 2009

How about an update on when you'll be releasing a Berliner Weisse....;)
  33. Etan

Etan Advocate (745) Wisconsin Jul 11, 2011

I really enjoyed Nvs.U but my bottle of Close Encounter was absolutely flat for some reason. Looking forward to future releases though.
  34. tfidler

tfidler Aficionado (210) Illinois Sep 30, 2006

If you get a spare few hours, head up to Bear Republic in Healdsburg, 30 min or so north on the same freeway the other two are off of. Well worth the side trip.
  35. Thanks Pipeworks! Bought up all I can find of your beer (at a disadvantage living in the suburbs). I have an artist brother and girlfriend (degrees from AAA in Chicago), if you guys ever need anything.
  36. I picked up two blood of the unicorns, a glaucus, a barrel aged smoke porter, and an end of days the other day. Can't wait to try them. I also ready about Froggy Style, a wheat porter, but haven't seen it anywhere. Has this been released?
  37. I love double stouts and I love really hoppy beers, but I am just not feeling them together. To each his own, I guess. I love Jones Dog, Hyper Dog, NvU, and everything else I've tried from them. I referenced the Froggy Style in my post above. It's listed as a wheat porter. I want to try it, but I'm kinda thinking I'll feel the same way. Wheat beers are okay and I love porters, but I can't imagine what a wheat porter tastes like.
  38. mjohnson17

mjohnson17 Advocate (585) Illinois Apr 29, 2012

Just finished a smoked porter... unique, very good. I wasn't able to get the new EOD but luckily a friend is kind enough to share. :)
  39. Batch #12 End of Days is amazing!
  40. mbockstruck30

agreed. huge improvement from the previous batch. i need to get more of it while i can.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.