1. Rating beers by attributes (look, smell, taste, feel, overall) is back! Read the latest update ...
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Latest Pipeworks Releases and Updates

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by Lansman, May 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mbockstruck30

mbockstruck30 Savant (325) Illinois Dec 31, 2010

oh jesus, brainfart. thanks.

2. Pipeworks

Pipeworks Savant (325) Illinois May 28, 2009

what shop... they won't be seeing beer anymore

funhog, cnbrown313, pschul4 and 5 others like this.
  3. Pipeworks

CN is 10.99 at Binny's across the board... and should be 10.99 at every store except for smaller speciality shops that sometimes tack on an extra 5-10% markup for their location (W Grocer, Olivias...etc) We aren't thrilled to sell beer for that price... but once we get this shop open (+ more) then we can start to take some of the edge off we think.

aefbjo and JimGlonke like this.
  4. Pipeworks

going to go drink some super tart Cranpire off the tank to calm my rage.... wtf'n f

we're pretty tight with our bucktown locations... but i have a sneaky suspicion of who it was...

5. Pipeworks

oh, grabbing some wingstop then knocking out the rest of the Blue Lady e-mails for those still wondering

aefbjo and Mandark like this.
  6. Mjmoser

Mjmoser Savant (410) Illinois May 6, 2012

I'll send you a BM, but it further supports that this store will not be seeing any more of my business. The guy who sets the prices (owner?) actually jacks them up even more when people ask to be on a list. $30 for Bolt Cutter? What a joke...

7. jbecke2

jbecke2 Aficionado (185) Illinois Oct 22, 2011

Dont worry most BAs will weed out the bad seeds.

Tell me more about this "Galaxy Ninja" that's on the way, can't wait.

8. Pipeworks

enough said.. i know who it is...

9. Hugonaut13

Hugonaut13 Advocate (710) Illinois Nov 29, 2012

Yeah, checked my receipt. 10.99.

10. ravot

ravot Savant (460) Illinois Mar 20, 2012

scored a couple a few days ago at south loop binny's. whenever the delivery happened. cracked one open yesterday. man oh man did it smell nice as soon as the cap flew off, after that. so dreamy.

11. JRBecks

JRBecks Savant (400) Illinois Apr 3, 2012

My Gosh I cant stop drooling over Pipeworks releases! Had a bottle of Citra Ninja OMG and now talks of a Galaxy Ninja!!! And and and a Cranberry Berliner :D:) Thank you, I love that you guys keep making the Berliners!! One of my Fav styles and you dont see many breweries making them, so yea just thanks for being you.

Nachos4two likes this.
  12. Are any of these bottles going to make it to Binnys Hyde Park?

13. PDZ

PDZ Savant (260) Illinois Jun 26, 2012

stinks like the w, ive gotta say

Mjmoser likes this.
  14. aefbjo

aefbjo Savant (275) Bahamas Jun 8, 2005

Probably. Same owners as Dorothy's on Armitage, where they wanted $27 for Bourbon County Brand Coffee Stout. That place has craft beer on tap now, which is crazy. It's known to me as a place that smells like piss, with older Puerto Rican prostitutes hanging out at the bar.

PDZ likes this.
  15. Anonymous1

Anonymous1 Savant (420) Illinois Mar 19, 2012

What's hilarious is that I think everyone on the entire Great Lakes Forum knows who this is, lol.

16. aefbjo

I don't understand that kind of markup. You make an extra $2 on a bottle, of which you have maybe 12 or 24, right? Is the extra $20-40 worth it to the owner when balanced against customer loyalty?

Mjmoser likes this.
  17. PDZ

PDZ Savant (260) Illinois Jun 26, 2012

sadly yeah, because you have fresh streams of assholes feeding the machine year in and year out

18. Kubrickx

Kubrickx Savant (385) Illinois Sep 1, 2012

Had my first Citra Ninja yesterday and was floored. Pipeworks, you guys are awesome.

19. Wseitz

Wseitz Aficionado (145) Illinois Apr 25, 2010

20. Mjmoser

Mjmoser Savant (410) Illinois May 6, 2012

Obviously they don't give a shit about customer loyalty at this place. I spend copious amounts of money on beer throughout the year, yet none has been going there since Parabola was released and he charged $25. The fact that he jacks up prices even more if the demand is there in the form of a list is even more shitty.

I have had this conversation with an employee there and he said the owner only cares about profit margin. Hopefully this comes full circle... But I don't see that happening when people buy 3 CN at a time for $45....

21. Pipeworks

22. Lansman

Lansman Savant (400) Illinois Mar 19, 2011

December 5, 2012 Update

This week brings us the release of:

Cranpire Christmas Berliner Weisse with Cranberries, 4% ABV, quite tart, and a perfect paring for a holiday dinner! Should be $11.99/750ml bottle

End of Days, 8.2% ABV, we built the body up in this one quite a bit compared to last time, should be fairly chewy! $8.99/22oz bottle

Jones Dog, 8.5% ABV, the body in this one is also bigger than previous editions, and we added just a hint of roast to offset some of the sweetness, we think we nailed it this time, or at least we are getting much closer to a perfectly delicious big milk stout. $8.99/22oz bottle

We are brewing 2-3 times a week and distributing 50% more beer than we were two months ago, so we are trying to settle things down logistically.

Tasting Schedule:
    December 7th - Andersonville Wine & Spirits 5201 N Clark St from 5-7pm
    December 13th - Life's a Cabernet 1937 W North Ave from 7-9pm
    December 15th - Gene's Sausage Shop 4750 N Lincoln Ave. from Noon - 4pm
    (Come by to say hi and taste some beer!)

Thank you for all the support! It's really amazing! Much more info to come... one thing at a time..

23. djcorrao

djcorrao Zealot (90) Illinois Sep 5, 2009

Just picked up some Cranpire at Binny's Grand... excited to crack this one open tonight!

Nachos4two likes this.
  24. Rizdac

Rizdac Aficionado (160) Illinois Dec 5, 2010

Just got the Cranpire at SL Binny's. Great beer on par with the other fruit releases.

25. Grohnke

Grohnke Savant (380) Illinois Sep 15, 2009

Cranpire was drinking well at Zwanze day, looking forward to a bottle

26. azaaron

azaaron Aficionado (120) Arizona Mar 11, 2010

Any chance someone can hook me up with a Cranpire and a Citra Ninja? I just moved away from Chicago and am in need of a fix. Im in Arizona now and can send stuff that way! BM me if possible!

27. bertram

bertram Savant (350) Illinois Dec 18, 2010

Really hoping to see Cranpire in the NW suburbs soon.

28. jtg5678

jtg5678 Savant (260) Illinois Nov 27, 2012

Look forward to seeing how Jones Dog tastes now!

29. Pipeworks

It's not radically different. Fruitiness is down a bit with better yeast control, added just a hint of roast (actually quite noticeable comparably and probably the biggest difference in the beer), FG is way higher than before so has a lot more chewiness and body for the cocao to stand on. Essentially the same flavors/beer just better constructed.

30. I sent a Blue Lady message and got the autoresponse on Oct. 15th. I live in the burbs, but work blocks away from Binny's on Grand (have been exposing Pipeworks to the burbs for months), and bought two bottles of Blue Lady. One was for me and another for a friend. Only wanted one glass though. Let me know. Thanks again for amazing beer!

31. Pipeworks

sent me a pm

32. burica2020

burica2020 Savant (400) Illinois Nov 17, 2009

Did we ever get confirmation if the A-typical chicago hoarder asked for 13 blue lady glasses?

33. mjohnson17

mjohnson17 Advocate (585) Illinois Apr 29, 2012

Ha, I remember THAT guy. I really hope he doesn't. He's probably too busy trying to amass a case of BCBCS and Cherry Rye.

Hugonaut13 likes this.
  34. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (710) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

Any idea when/if we will see Pipeworks at the Algonquin Binny's? (or just out this way, period)

35. mpwdoyle

mpwdoyle Aficionado (155) Illinois Apr 29, 2011

Is Citra Ninja still out there? Trying to obtain one as a gift for a buddy of mine in Vermont.

36. bertram

37. mpwdoyle

mpwdoyle Aficionado (155) Illinois Apr 29, 2011

38. aefbjo

I got a Citra Ninja at Before You Go last night. There was at least one left.

39. bertram

I snagged one last night at Fischman's. bBut then I also got there and got an Abraxus before that was gone too.

The CN at Fischman's was in the cooler, FYI.

40. nucmedmario

nucmedmario Savant (330) Illinois Sep 1, 2010

call west lakeview. i got two from there last night.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.