1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Latest Pipeworks Releases and Updates

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by Lansman, May 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SaulTBauls

SaulTBauls Aficionado (235) Iowa Mar 22, 2013

Coffee Break delayed the purchase of an engagement ring...that's how much I enjoyed it.
  2. Have to fight for your right to party as well.
    ravot likes this.
  3. saemick

saemick Aficionado (205) Illinois Jan 16, 2010

priorities!
  4. tinypyramids

tinypyramids Savant (445) Illinois Jul 19, 2012

really pumped for OTA too, though i thought RTA could have used a touch more sweetness. i was at a tasting and we added a tiny bit of bruery's 'cuir' to RTA and the combined beer was better than the sum of its parts.
  5. mbockstruck30

mbockstruck30 Savant (325) Illinois Dec 31, 2010

Coffee Break has probably been my favorite Pipeworks to date and the thought of RTA just gave me expectations it couldn't live up to. I really enjoyed it, but not as much as I had hoped. Tried it on draft and from bottle. Granted, both times were on the same day...GI Stout Fest. So my palate may have been wrecked.
  6. Lansman

Lansman Savant (400) Illinois Mar 19, 2011

FIFY. :)
    Gonzoillini and mbockstruck30 like this.
  7. bertram

bertram Savant (350) Illinois Dec 18, 2010

Yes it was. Adding 'Smoke' on the other hand... o_O
    tinypyramids likes this.
  8. I think I read somewhere when the first batch of RTA came out that PW was planning to double batch it the next time it was brewed.
    jebsinger likes this.
  9. Coffee Break on draft reduced the pain of seeing my friends get angry at Indiana losing last week, as I was out watching the game with them.
  10. spicoli00

spicoli00 Advocate (710) Indiana Jul 6, 2005

I know a thing or two about growing leafy plants.

I see what you are getting at here. The three year rule is a good rule of thumb, though I have seen certain varietals begin producing substantial yield during the first growing cycle, specifically cascade and chinook. But, I guess it is possible that the plant itself doesn't start producing the maximum lupulin and essential oils until the second or third growing cycle. Because the lupulin and essential oils are extremely volatile, length and temperature of storage could also be playing a role in addition to variability in the boil temperature, fermentation temperature, length of fermentation, etc. There are so many variables that can effect the flavor. That being said, I have had some remarkably consistent citra beers (Citra Ninja being one, though everyone i've had has been within about a week of bottling) so it must be possible to control for these factors. There is quite a bit of literature on this on the interwebs.

edit: have a boring desk job, but the view is great. have been exploring indoor, hydroponic hop cultivation. I'm not a botanist but i did stay at a holiday inn express last night.
  11. spicoli00

this and the cascade ninja are giving me a weird boner right now.
  12. spicoli00

I enjoyed the RTA (probably should have put some age on it) but i'm more excited for the Coffee Break Abduction next week.
  13. saemick

saemick Aficionado (205) Illinois Jan 16, 2010

Weird??? 77% of my boners lately are beer-related...
    jebsinger likes this.
  14. West Lakeview Liquors has lots of different Pipeworks beers out.
  15. HereforBeer

HereforBeer Savant (285) Illinois Nov 21, 2012

West lakeview has a few cases of Citra Ninja left, for sale to anyone. I just picked one up, looking forward to drinking it.
  16. HereforBeer

HereforBeer Savant (285) Illinois Nov 21, 2012

Citra Ninja was really great, but honestly I prefer Unicorn's Revenge. It is probably the difference between an A, and an A+. I'm happy that Unicorn's revenge wasn't hyped so I think I have a better chance of getting it again.
  17. J3KGT

J3KGT Aficionado (115) Illinois Mar 25, 2013

I went overboard on the PW this week. I bought 7 different bottles and was lucky enough to get a bottle of the RTA and the Citra Ninja.
  18. jtg5678

jtg5678 Savant (260) Illinois Nov 27, 2012

They're really killing on on IPA/DIPA in general. When it first came out, Citra Ninja was my clear favorite, but after that most recent Galaxy Unicorn batch, that might take the cake for me.
  19. Galaxy is the only one I haven't tried, but Unicorn's Revenge was my favorite thus far. I should try and get another Something Hoppy because it was the third bomber I had opened the night I tried it, following the UR and Citra Ninja, and I don't really remember it that well. Hah
  20. kodt

kodt Advocate (500) Illinois Mar 6, 2013

Did you find the RTA on the shelves somewhere?
  21. J3KGT

J3KGT Aficionado (115) Illinois Mar 25, 2013

In the back room but I'm sure it was on a shelf. Buffalo Grove Binny's had both the RTA and Citra Ninja when I got mine. The guy who got my bottle from the back said there was only one RTA left after mine and I got there less than a hour after it was delivered.
  22. ravot

ravot Savant (460) Illinois Mar 20, 2012

nice, so there was another delivery and not original stock.

edit: what's the batch number?
  23. JRBecks

JRBecks Savant (400) Illinois Apr 3, 2012

I think the Beastie Boys already did that for us..

I would love to get a couple bottles of RTA and OTA MmmmMmmm
  24. Nachos4two

Nachos4two Advocate (545) Illinois Nov 26, 2011

Still in search of RtA here
  25. Lansman

Lansman Savant (400) Illinois Mar 19, 2011

April 10, 2013 Update

Hey Friends,

Super super quick note today, lots on our plate (getting very excited to share this all with you soon)

New releases this week for pickup now at both Binny's Lincoln Park and West Lakeview:

-Ninja vs Unicorn
    -Coffee Break Abduction
    -Reliquary Belgian Double Pale

We'll catch up with you next week!

-PW
  26. Sounds like bottle shop news to come very soon! Or, at least I hope that's what their excited about.
  27. spicoli00

i'm hoping bottle shop too but guessing it's probably the new brewhouse based on one of PW's more recent posts. although i fear the bottle shop could end my marriage.
    jebsinger and JakeT469 like this.
  28. Pipeworks already said the new brewhouse should be up and running by 4/22, so that leads me to believe it's more about meeting with their new alderman about the bottle shop (and other things I would guess).
  29. JakeT469

JakeT469 Savant (305) Illinois Jan 13, 2012

Well, there's only one Pipeworks and as the old saying goes, "There's plenty of fish in the sea." Better get a good divorce lawyer.
    spicoli00 likes this.
  30. Pipeworks

Pipeworks Savant (325) Illinois May 28, 2009

other good things we hope...
    jebsinger likes this.

31. Maybe some cool Chicago beer week events!
    Nachos4two likes this.
  32. sacullen

sacullen Aficionado (245) Illinois Oct 14, 2008

Saw a nice big truck outside Pipeworks today. Didn't walk down to see what was on it, but only good things could have arrived.
    Runninmixz and jebsinger like this.
  33. Pipeworks

Pipeworks Savant (325) Illinois May 28, 2009

nah just malt... =p
    jebsinger likes this.
  34. That's something nice :)
  35. jtg5678

Recently posted on the Pipeworks twitter account:

[​IMG]
  36. vic21234

vic21234 Savant (255) Illinois Jan 25, 2009

Picked up a few bottles of Coffee Break Abduction today, can't wait to try it out tonight.
    VagabondHops and powz87 like this.
  37. Bildo

Bildo Aficionado (185) Minnesota Jan 24, 2013

Citra Ninja was awesome ty to my CHI trader for it. havent had a pipeworks brew i havent enjoyed yet.
  38. jtg5678

Just picked up a bottle of Cascade Ninja. Has anyone had this yet? Guessing not...
  39. Mjmoser

Mjmoser Savant (410) Illinois May 6, 2012

What kind of beer is Murderous??
  40. JimGlonke

JimGlonke Savant (420) Illinois Apr 27, 2012

Barleywine, I believe.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.