1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Latest Pipeworks Releases and Updates

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by Lansman, May 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sacullen

sacullen Aficionado (245) Illinois Oct 14, 2008

You know where I rather spend my money.

2. zieglemt

zieglemt Aficionado (170) Illinois Apr 25, 2011

From the email:
    Pretty interesting...looks like PW is movin on up. Wonder where.

ETA: Map of ward 32: http://ward32.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/NEW_WARD32_Map.pdf

3. mbockstruck30

mbockstruck30 Savant (325) Illinois Dec 31, 2010

very near

4. Vav

Vav Savant (495) Illinois Jul 27, 2008

Gotcha, well cool then. I'll wait 'til Thursday to release'em to the world then.

timmx and kawilliams81 like this.
  5. Thanks Vav, you are a gentleman and a scholar.

6. ChefBergo

ChefBergo Initiate (0) Illinois Nov 9, 2011

Was finally able to try some Raspberry Truffle Abduction last night....wow! Wish the nearest store selling Pipeworks wasn't 40 minutes from my house. We also blended 1/3 RTA to 2/3 Coffee Abduction and it turned out quite tasty, give it a shot if you want to experiment a bit :)

spicoli00 likes this.
  7. Life's a Cabernet (off North Ave., just East of Damen) had both of the new releases as of yesterday afternoon. They also had just about the highest prices I've seen for a Pipeworks bomber outside of Andersonville Wine & Spirits. $13.65 after tax for the Cascade Ninja (I would have gone to Binnys if I had the time). It seems they're taking the 'suggested' part of MSRP quite literally!

8. aparoche

aparoche Disciple (65) Illinois Oct 23, 2009

Blood of the Unicorn is the best hoppy imperial red out there in my opinion. Ninja vs. Unicorn is also an amazing DIPA. The only thing stopping me from drinking Pipeworks all the time is that it is only in bombers and $10 bucks a bomber is a bit too pricey.

9. JakeT469

JakeT469 Savant (330) Illinois Jan 13, 2012

^def this^ love me some Pipeworks but gets to be a little to much for me at times. Especially at $10.99 for some of their IPA/DIPA and other higher abv offerings.

10. Nachos4two

Nachos4two Advocate (555) Illinois Nov 26, 2011

Rumor has it they are moving to expand and also "canning" at least that's what a bird is singing. Lets hope it's true.

11. tinypyramids

tinypyramids Savant (480) Illinois Jul 19, 2012

we already know the moving to expand is true as they've talked numerous times about their new brewhouse, but i haven't heard anything about canning. would be really nice as i love lots of pipeworks brews but they're just not cheap enough for regular drinking. NvU out of a can would be so awesome.

rmalinowski4, wyatt13 and Nachos4two like this.
  12. Drucifer

Drucifer Savant (495) Illinois Apr 16, 2012

I also heard they were going to be canning at the new facility.

13. Pipeworks

Pipeworks Savant (325) Illinois May 28, 2009

new brewhouse does not equal new facility. new brewhouse is going to allow us to stop brewing 4 times a week double batching... it'll give us some breathing room to focus on all that other stuff we should be doing like answering e-mails. all we are doing with that is replacing our psychobrew 2-4 barrel system with a 10 bbl system.

so what you are saying is like... if we put beer in a can... you would buy the shit out of it? interesting idea ;-)

14. trbergman

trbergman Savant (450) Illinois Nov 17, 2006

Glaucus, please!

Etan, rmalinowski4 and Pipeworks like this.
  15. I've found that in my experience canning works really well for some styles and not at all for others. It works especially well for hoppy brews. There is a brewpub in Baltimore called Brewer's Art. They bottle and can two of their beers: Resurrection and Ozzy. I love these beers. The bottled format is 750ml and the canning format is standard 12oz cans. These are Belgian style ales and do not taste nearly as good out of a can (though the price is much more reasonable). I personally like 12oz bottles best for non hoppy beers. Price per ounce on bombers and 750s makes it prohibitive to buy them often. $10 for 22oz (45 cents per oz) vs. $10 for a four pack (21 cents per oz). Not even close. There is some psychological phenomenon (involving wine?) that is playing out on this one. I'd think buying in quantity with less materials would be cheaper but that's almost never the case.

Glad you guys are getting a new system. Cheers to the notion of smaller format!

16. BeerMeFitz

BeerMeFitz Savant (330) Illinois Oct 24, 2011

It is a state law. It has a long story attached to it that ended badly.... Gov Ryan! Alot of stores don't know the law or care as long as you got cash. Get a passport! Problem solved!

Vav likes this.
  17. Pipeworks

nice reaction time Fitz... they teach that at the academy?

BeerMeFitz, Cotchept and Vav like this.
  18. Pipeworks

interesting when you put it in those terms... it actually does cost us exactly twice per ounce to make the beer we put in bombers (on average, higher gravity) then it does for the beer that might possibly end up in aluminum...

the other big cost factor is that those 750ml Belgian bottles cost us $1.00 a piece... and the 22oz bottles ~$0.50, so that's the biggest price driver in large format bottles.

19. How about 12oz bottles and 4packs?

20. Yeah I'm okay with paying for a beer by gravity. That makes sense to me. Like KBS for example is (at the brewery's taproom price) $19 for a four pack. That is in line with a $10 bomber for price per oz. I'm perfectly fine with that, it's definitely worth that price. I guess my real point was that bombers/750ml beers vs. 12oz beers of the equivalent gravity usually end up having different price points.

Take BCBS in 22oz format vs. BCBS in 12oz format. This is a great example because not only are we comparing beers of almost exactly the same gravity and from the same brewery, but also literally almost exactly the same liquid as well (except for the addition of coffee so yes that's an additional expense). I'm not sure what the suggested retail price was, but I'm just going to use the cheapest price I saw them retail for.
    BCBCS bomber --> 22oz, $21 = $.95 per oz.
    BCBS four pack --> 48oz, $24 = $.50 per oz.

Here's another example that I noticed. Stone sells a lot of their IPAs in four or six packs and in bombers. Now these are not only exactly the same gravity, but literally the same liquid in the bottles which makes for an even better example.
    Stone IPA bomber --> 22oz, $7 = $.31
    Stone IPA sixer --> 64oz, $12 = $.18

And I have seen this phenomenon many times. I think consumers are 'fooled' by the bottle size because we think of big format bottles as fancy due to the subconscious feeling our culture has pushed us into toward wine. Wine comes in a big bottle so a big bottle must mean fancy. Beer historically has come in 12oz bottles and until recently was considered very blue collar, inexpensive, and less fancy. So when buying a larger format bottle the consumer feels more justified with paying $10+ with a large format bottle.

All that being said, I have zero problem with $10 a bomber for a high gravity beer. But paying that same price/oz ratio for a lower gravity beer just becomes too expensive over time and will push me to buy other brands with better price points. Of course I am always willing to have a good beer every now and again (almost) regardless of the price point.

...just a few thoughts. Hope it's useful for someone.

21. mjohnson17

mjohnson17 Advocate (585) Illinois Apr 29, 2012

I was thinking the same thing, thanks for clarifying. The term "brewhouse" can be easily confused. But you're talking about the components that make up your brewing setup (mash/lauter tun, controls, heat exchanger, cooling, kettle, etc).

I do think canning is a great option that you should consider. It appears more cost effective for both you and the consumer (minus upfront cost of canning equipment) plus I think the market is really coming around to the can format. Beer in cans isn't frowned upon as macro or swill anymore. Locally I think Revolution is doing a good job with offering just a few of their beers in can format. I would agree with 1up in that hoppy beers tend to hold up best from a can but again Revolution's porter and wit hold up well. In addition I think Vivant is doing nice things with canned belgians.

Long story short; if you put beer in a can I would buy the shit out of it.

22. Lansman

Lansman Savant (400) Illinois Mar 19, 2011

April 19, 2013 Update
    <Apologies for the lateness of the update>

Hello Friends,

It's weeks like these where we take a moment to pause and appreciate that we are living the dream and our thankful to do so. We get to wake up every morning (albeit way too early) and brew beer every day and call that a job. So we are thankful to all of you for making that a reality.

This week brings us:

Cascade Ninja - just like Citra Ninja but made with Cascade hops from Hop Head Farms in Michigan: http://www.hopheadfarms.com/ should be $10.99/22oz bottle

Murderous English-style Barleywine - this is a variation on Santa vs Unicorn, but English yeast, much less hops, bit sweeter with more caramel, and just a hint of Nelson Sauvin, should be $9.99/22oz bottle and delicious now, but also good with a bit of cellaring.

Both of these are extremely limited and we have sent 10 cases of each to Binny's Lincoln Park and West Lakeview Liquors available now for pickup.

We met with our new Alderman this week, Scott Waguespak of the 32nd ward, and we are very happy to have Scott as an Alderman. Scott is supportive of our bottle shop project and we should be introducing an ordinance during the June City Council meeting to move that forward. The bottle shop will be located very near our 1675 location but not in it as initially planned. The bottle shop location will have parking and is also connected to a much larger space that we may be using for a very exciting 2014 project... Our new brewhouse should be coming next week and we'll be installing it the first week of May.

On deck:

Simcoe Ninja
    Raspberry Truffle Abduction
    Citrus IPA brewed with Tired Hands Brewing
    CA$H 4 Golden Ale
    Summery Saisons (TBD)
    Poivre Rose
    Revenge of the Unicorn
    A Foolish Wit
    Majestic English Summer Ale
    End of Days

We'll announce our Chicago Craft Beer Week schedule next week.

-PW

hombrepalo likes this.
  23. I have heard for awhile that PW would like to eventually can some beers, but nothing concrete to when or if that will actually happen. But, I would put more money on them eventually canning than not.

24. crossovert

crossovert Champion (790) Illinois Mar 29, 2009

yeah im gonna use my passport in il form now on.

25. Pipeworks

[​IMG]

Etan, JulianC, VagabondHops and 7 others like this.

26. Put your beer in an smaller format, whether cans or 12oz bottles, and Pipeworks would be 90% of what I drink.

1up and Nachos4two like this.
  27. Nachos4two

That's quite a tease if I do say so myself!

28. Davihaw

Davihaw Savant (320) Illinois Jun 19, 2012

Did anyone get Cascade Ninja in the Western Suburbs? My two local shops in Lombard and Glen Ellyn never received their shipments. Did I miss it or did it just go to the city only?

29. pmoney

pmoney Advocate (600) Colorado Apr 15, 2011

They only made it to the city.

30. Davihaw

Davihaw Savant (320) Illinois Jun 19, 2012

Bummer:( Thanks for responding!

31. ppohio

ppohio Aficionado (185) Illinois Aug 5, 2011

Hello! That one might go even faster than Raspberry Truffle Abduction!

32. spicoli00

spicoli00 Champion (760) Indiana Jul 6, 2005

think this was from a FB post, not sure if there is any still left...

there are 30 other cases out there somewhere in the city (only suburban drops for Cascade are: Binny's Skokie, Binny's Highland Park, Cardinal Niles & Norridge)

33. Pipeworks

would you could you in a can?

[​IMG]

Etan, LSMroz, jbecke2 and 23 others like this.
  34. JimGlonke

JimGlonke Savant (430) Illinois Apr 27, 2012

Easily. Just give me the chance!

crushedvol likes this.
  35. Nachos4two

Your killing me smalls!

Theredflame2 likes this.
  36. [​IMG]

LSMroz, jbecke2, Mjmoser and 5 others like this.
  37. ravot

ravot Savant (460) Illinois Mar 20, 2012

well that escalated quickly ^^^^

LSMroz, sliverX, stevegoz and 2 others like this.
  38. RWNay

RWNay Savant (465) Illinois Oct 7, 2010

OUTSTANDING ! ! !

Now, hopefully Pipeworks will start making more beer so you can sell it to those of us in Kane County. Fingers crossed!!! Beer hunting is fun, but I would buy much more of your beer if it was available in my area. Thanks for all that you do, keep up the good work!!!

1up, PHBoiler and Nachos4two like this.
  39. BonerJamz 2013!

Deltoro likes this.
  40. mtskier

mtskier Savant (270) Illinois Feb 23, 2013

Great post that really sums up my frustrations. I will still buy bombers, because unfortunately its often the only way to try new beers, but it limits my purchases. I have a really hard time justifying spending that much more /oz all the time.

RWNay likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.