1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Layover logistics

Discussion in 'Benelux' started by abu_riley, Mar 14, 2013.

1. I'm going to be in Amsterdam for 9 hours next month as part of a trip, going from the US to the Middle East for a month. I'd like to perhaps buy some beers in the city, but what are yall's recommendations for getting them back to the U.S.? I'm thinking of buying them and then shipping them back to the U.S. the same day, before getting back on the plane. Anyone have any insight about the cost? Say 5 750ML bottles, from Amsterdam to Philadelphia. Any other suggestions for how to transport the beer?

2. If you have the same amount of time on the return trip I would buy them then, and pack them into a carry on and check it in as a second bag. Another thought is to not buy any beer at all. Depending on what you are looking for, you may be able to find the same selection back in Philadelphia. :)

3. beerpirates

beerpirates Savant (465) Belgium May 4, 2010

Drink them at some local cafe in the middle east , they love beer with a high ABV ;)

4. The cost of shipping is around $72, it's very easy in Holland. Just find a box wrap it and bring it to the postoffice.
    There are plenty of them! Also in supermarket's!!!

5. Thanks for the responses. My layover on the way back (5 weeks later) isnt long enough for me to leave the airport so thats not an option. I'll have to see if there is anything worth buying and shipping before I decide. I'll probably end up buying a bottle or two and finding a sunny park to drink in before tottering back to the airport.

6. Only if you want to keep your sanity. Nine hours sounds like a lot of time, but finding and choosing the beer, locating a box and wrapping materials, packaging the box, finding a post office, returning back to Schipol via train, checking the box and getting to your plane 1.5 hours before departure...is doable, but probably a bit stressful.

If you just want to blissfully take in the views, find the bridge over the Singel canel with the statue of Multatuli. It's very close to Dam Square.

http://www.360cities.net/image/singel-multatuli-terrace-bridge#743.23,13.72,70.0

There is also a map link to the location on this page.