Lazy man's KBS

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BrewStew58, Feb 25, 2013.

1. I don't know if FBS and KBS are the same base beer. There might be a thread about this already, but has anyone tried a serial dilution of bourbon using FBS to see if you can match the flavor of KBS. FBS +1 shot, FBS + 1/2 shot..... Or is bourbon no substitute for strait from the barrel flavor?

JuniperJesus likes this.
  2. Michigan

Michigan Initiate (0) Michigan Oct 24, 2012

They are not the same base beer. And bourbon is no substitute for barrel.

You could try it though

JohnnyMc, alelover and OddNotion like this.
  3. cnbrown313

cnbrown313 Savant (420) Illinois May 29, 2012

Totally different base beers, however, I've swirled around a touch of good bourbon (Woodford I think) in my glass before pouring a Breakfast Stout. It's good... but it's also no substitute for KBS.

MIA4IPA and caponeduke like this.
  4. Handle

Handle Savant (395) North Carolina Mar 16, 2009

As has been said, it can work in a pinch but is no substitute for the smoothness imparted from months in a barrel.

OnWisconsin likes this.
  5. I guess I have my answer. Only the real thing will do. Thanks for helping!

6. atoulouk

atoulouk Savant (400) Indiana Apr 25, 2011

One thing that I have done is take a good quality maple syrup and put some bourbon in that and let it in my cellar for a while. I put that in a FBS and it was great! No CBS, but still very good. Tried the same thing with honey/bourbon and cherry/bourbon.

It's fun to play with FBS because I've had it so many times I know the base beer very well.

7. Sounds fun, I'll try some of that stuff.

8. rxeight

rxeight Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 5, 2012

Get some central waters peruvian mountain. That is a cheap substitute for KBS.

9. Mgm54

Mgm54 Savant (375) Illinois Apr 7, 2011

Glad to hear! I've got one in my fridge right now!

TurboManGT likes this.
  10. I just picked up 8 bottles last Saturday. I have yet to try it.

11. I blended some FIS and FBS the other night with great results. The coffee contribution of FBS + The imperial thickness of FIS to me pretty much matched the consistency and flavor of KBS minus the vanilla bourbon orgasm. Might have to try a splash of Maker's Mark in the mix.

12. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) New York Jan 11, 2013

I think people are disillusioned by the sophistication of what barrels lend to a stout.

13. Sorry, I love Central Waters, but Peruvian Morning and KBS shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence. Peruvian Morning is way too thin and artificial tasting (assuming it's not infected).

CW's bourbon barrel stout, on the other hand, holds up pretty well against KBS.

danoeltico likes this.
  14. screamking

screamking Savant (325) Ohio Jan 20, 2013

Woodford? Good bourbon? Just messing with ya! I've went from drinking Elmer t lee to FIS in the same snifter to surprising good results. I will note I've never had KBS before so I can't compare.

15. Thats harsh. Peruvian Morning is a fine substitite for KBS. KBS is bigger and bolder but PM hits all the sweet spots that KBS does for most people.

16. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (990) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

Pretty interesting thread altogether, even if we are never going to come close to approximating KBS by mixing stuff together.

It does make me wonder if it's any easier to homebrew a KBS vs a BCBS by virtue of the grain bill difference between 15% and 11.2%. A good handful of bourbon-soaked wood chips would impart some vanilla bourbon flavour. But that would certainly not qualify as a lazy man's KBS, I guess!

17. Michigan

Michigan Initiate (0) Michigan Oct 24, 2012

Get good and drunk on some good bourbon (Blantons or BT) then drink some FBS. You'll never know

Titans77 likes this.
  18. cjoc83

cjoc83 Savant (470) Pennsylvania Jul 31, 2010

When I made the mistake of buying a six-pack of Dominion's Oak Barrel Stout, I let it sit for a while after choking down the first bottle I drank. Eventually I decided to try mixing some bourbon in with it to see if it would improve it. The only thing laying around was Jeremiah Weed. It made it more palatable, but only slightly (JM probably isn't the ideal bourbon you want to mix with beer though). Either way, I'm pretty done with the mixing-my-own-specialty-beer deal. Regular craft is good enough for me.

19. ThirstyFace

Are you suggesting that Woodford Reserve is not a good bourbon?

20. And you bought 8 bottles of it?

ant880 and FishAndBeer like this.
  21. I agree with this when it comes to bourbon barrel aged stouts. Think, the barrel aging adds woodsy character to the bourbon, so therefore it should add the same characters to the beer. Finding the right ratios is critical and any more than a few drops will damage the character of the beer. There are a few stouts that pair really well with a few drops of tasty bourbon. Bell's Cherry Stout being one of my favorites.

That being said, stouts aged on fresh oak (not bourbon) most definitely take on some fantastic characters from the barrel.

22. Ive been told that FIS is the base beer for KBS. They have different ABVs, and I dont think they taste similar enough, but thats the rumor Ive heard.

BlackBelt5112203 likes this.
  23. screamking

screamking Savant (325) Ohio Jan 20, 2013

Woodford is overpriced and average at best. Just so many better options for the money, but like anything people like what they like.

beerme411 and Michigan like this.
  24. How long before we see a "I poured honey in my Two Hearted" and made some "Hopslam" thread?

JohnB87, spambum, fredmugs and 2 others like this.
  25. moefriedman

moefriedman Savant (270) Illinois Feb 15, 2012

Peruvian Morning all the way!!!

FatBoyGotSwagger likes this.
  26. richardflyr

richardflyr Savant (400) Virginia Jul 28, 2009

I just drink some Cafe Royale when I feel like having a poor man's KBS.

bushycook likes this.
  27. ThirstyFace

Most bourbon is overpriced, but to call it average is crazy.

28. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (870) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

A lazy man isn't going to dig themselves a cave either. KBS is all about the cave.

29. Herky21

Herky21 Advocate (625) Iowa Aug 7, 2011

I wouldn't recommend using bourbon in those quantities either. If I were adding bourbon to a 5 gallon batch I might use 1/2 a cup (with oak or whatever). You would be using droplets to add it to a glass.

30. nachos

nachos Aficionado (240) Minnesota Jun 4, 2012

Woodford is definitely average, and their distillery is like a tourist trap/amusement park.

screamking likes this.
  31. nc41

nc41 Advocate (745) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

Right on the money. Adding bourbon is no sub for a barrel, it tastes like bourbon added to beer, even 2 drops is too much bourbon. My Bourbon of choice is Knob Creek and or Wild Turkey Rare Breed, right out of the barrel cask strength, but still very smooth and very deep in flavor..

32. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

Tried this with fis and a 1/2 oz of wild turkey rare. It ruined the beer. I don't think there is a substitute for barrel aging. If you find one I would love to know.

33. atone315

atone315 Advocate (730) Wisconsin Oct 8, 2008

1/2 oz is almost a 1/2 oz too much....you literally need just a hint of bourbon/rum/whiskey. I usually pour 1/2 - 1 oz in my glass, swirl around the glass, knock it back, and then pour in my beer.

vurt likes this.
  34. I know in the initial post I said a shot, 1/2 shot then all the way down. But it sounds like it should be done drop wise lol

beercanman likes this.
  35. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

Interesting. What were the results? That sounds way more promising. I way over did it. Live and learn I guess.

36. Did you mean to say people are disillusioned by the sophistication of what barrels lend to stout or did you mean to say people are overrating what a barrel lends to a stout?

37. kdb150

kdb150 Savant (495) Pennsylvania Mar 8, 2012

The main challenge for a homebrewer in making a 15% beer is in the yeast. There aren't really any brewer's yeasts that have that kind of alcohol tolerance. Typically you'd use a wine or champagne yeast to get the alcohol up, but if you're making a giant stout, you risk overcarbing and over-attenuating your beer, drying it out and screwing up the mouthfeel. I know there are plenty of homebrewers that can successfully make a 15%+ stout, but it takes a lot of practice to get there. An 11% stout is much easier to manage at home, although adding coffee presents its own problems, as a tiny bit seems to go an awful long way.

38. I think you mean KBS is a expensive substitute for Peruvian Morning;) Which I like way more then KBS.

egrace84 likes this.
  39. Hindsight

Hindsight Savant (255) Ohio Oct 8, 2011

Pretty sure this is what the kids call a boilermaker...

40. ThirstyFace

The latter. I can see how that wasn't entirely clear.