1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Le Bleu and Brute retired for Ithaca?

Discussion in 'US - Mid-Atlantic' started by stout1420, Dec 13, 2012.

1. stout1420

stout1420 Disciple (70) New York Oct 27, 2010

Curious haven't heard much

2. Brewer left and took the recipes with him from what I understand.

3. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Champion (810) New York Dec 13, 2009

i think lebleu has another go around, but i could be wrong.

4. I do believe that Ithaca was telling people on line for LeBleu this year that next year's batch was already in barrels. No plans for more Brute (at least this year) though.

cosmicevan likes this.
  5. merc7186

merc7186 Savant (345) New York Dec 5, 2010

I have sent many, many, many tweet and emails to Ithaca about Le Bleu without a single response. After last years shit show release, I doubt that they have 'next year's batch already in barrels" like the bimbo screamed out right after "We have plenty of 14 available"...consider them dead IMO.

6. In agreement with merc.

7. At the LeBleu release I thought they said they left a barrel (or more) unbottled but I don't remember hearing that this year's batch was already in barrels... I just want more Brute!

8. mark14580

mark14580 Initiate (0) New York Jan 15, 2011

Brewers from other breweries have left and they're recipes were still brewed by those breweries. I'd imagine that's the same thing at Ithaca. They may just not want to expend the time, energy, and expense of producing such a difficult beer while they can easily crank out other tasty brews.

9. Onizilla

Onizilla Aficionado (225) New York Apr 25, 2009

Sometimes the brewers recipe is their own and when they leave they take it with them. Kate from Portsmouth comes to mind.

10. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

I don't have a legal degree, and I cannot attribute a legal principle, but I would be willing to bet, if there is no written agreement to the contrary in a particular case, that were Portsmouth to make Kate, and Ithaca to make LeBleu and Brute, that there isn't a court that would rule in favor of Mott or O'Neil in a lawsuit filed to challenge the breweries rights to so do.

ThePorterSorter likes this.
  11. Onizilla

Onizilla Aficionado (225) New York Apr 25, 2009

I believe in the case of Kate that it actually was in his contract that it was his recipe, I can't remember all the details of course. I'm sure somebody would chime in with accurate details.
    Someone shine the Jesskidden light, He's always knowledgeable about things and if he doesn't know about this I'm sure he's got some form of random beer knowledge to drop.

12. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

I have repeatedly read that there is no legal protection of recipes. It makes sense because it's a process, so copyright doesn't apply, you'd need to patent it, and there aren't recipe patents. You'd obviously need to speak with a lawyer, but I'm pretty confident that they'd say that these brewers could keep brewing without any issues.

13. http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl122.html

14. jlenik

jlenik Savant (435) New Jersey Jan 22, 2009

Why was the release such a shit show? Curiosity always gets the best of me.

15. cavedave

Some folks didn't count the folks in front of them in line and didn't realize they weren't going to be able to get their case, and waited a long time to find it it out. Others say it was a shit show because they arrived at a time they thought would be early enough, based on experience from prior releases, and it wasn't early enough.

GrindFatherBob likes this.
  16. Knifestyles

Knifestyles Savant (455) New York Jun 7, 2005

Trying to parse your statement here......so this woman immediately qualifies as a "bimbo" because you didn't get your beer? Or is there a deeper history between you two that we're not aware of?

17. There was also the fact that the line moved incredibly slowly, and that people were buying more than their one case allotment.

18. cavedave

Two folks bought a total of 4 bottles that were singles on a shelf in addition to their one case. Then another emplyee stopped that from happening. Hardly a shit show there. Now, last CdC release at the old Capt. L, that was a shitshow.

As far as the line moving slowly, I brought cash for mine, and I didn't hold up the line while a cc was processed. How about you?

BeerThursdays and JonathanL7890 like this.
  19. I would have paid cash if given the chance, but my fate was to wait on line for two hours before being told they were sold out. I wasn't really angry about getting shut out, I underestimated how crowded the release would be. I just think Ithaca did too, and they were understaffed/not ready for it.

cavedave likes this.
  20. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

Yeah, but that doesn't say anything about whether you can use the recipe to make a thing and then sell that thing. A written down recipe is obviously copyrighted in the way that anything written is copyrighted, but there's no legal protection for using the recipe to make things and selling them, as far as I can tell. That's what we're talking about here.

21. nopucophop

nopucophop Savant (280) New York Mar 6, 2009

As far as the recipe goes it is very easy to change 25# 2 row and 5# roast to 24.75# 2 row and 5.25 roast and not have a huge taste difference. Don't know how you can protect against that.

cavedave likes this.
  22. stout1420

stout1420 Disciple (70) New York Oct 27, 2010

You would think Ithaca would do anything to keep that kind of talent!

ColdOne likes this.
  23. cavedave

Jeff O'Neil told me he could not stand making batch after batch of Flower Power, day after day, with no license to "create the stuff I really want to brew." Ithaca's loss is the Mid Hudson Valley's gain, as the new Peekskill Brewery is about to open, with a coolship, four floors of space, and Jeff O'Neil given carte blanche to let his creative juices flow.

PB's new digs

24. 1. Slang A woman regarded as vacuous or as having an exaggerated interest in her sexual appeal.

Just want to get all the facts out there so we can all make an educated decision on the matter.

I also got the shaft on that release, mainly because I was super hungover/sunburned on top of being empty handed...but i have my eyes set on Peekskill now.

25. Do you have any update on when it's going to reopen?

26. Unless it's categorized as "intellectual property" which is a whole 'nother legal matter.

27. cavedave

It opened y'day as it turns out!! Just the lower beer service area, but the rest of it, food and all, can't be far behind.

28. gory4d

gory4d Savant (495) New York Apr 14, 2007

Kitchen opens today at 5:00, according to their FB page.

cavedave likes this.
  29. Woo Hoo! Thanx.

cavedave likes this.
  30. suspect

suspect Savant (400) New York Apr 12, 2010

I've been told every time I ask that LeBleu is in barrels. The only way that we'll know for sure is if they make an announcement. As of now, there's no reason to think they're lying. What would be the point of that?

Brute, however, I truly believe is done.

cavedave likes this.
  31. Moc513

Moc513 Savant (295) New York May 24, 2012

Does anyone know if they will be bottling now? I would like to take some back with me next time in the area, and bottles last longer than growlers

cavedave and lovindahops like this.
  32. I hear the next batch of LeBleu is going to be a blend of 1, 2, and 3 year. So we won't see it for a while from what I have heard.

33. shrek806

shrek806 Savant (275) New York Mar 1, 2010

It is so frustrating to see Ithaca pour all that money into a new brewhouse/restaurant yet get away from what made them special. Yeah, Flower Power is great, but everything else outside of their excelsior beers are average. Brute and lebleu are awesome yet they cant find the time or effort to make more. They are pseudo craft, cashing in without the passion

34. mark14580

So lemme get this straight, Ithaca is pseudo craft because they haven't announced when they're releasing two great beers that you admittedly love? Riiiight. Even though you agree flower power and their excelsior beers are great. Get the fug outta here.

35. suspect

Their other Excelsior beers are mediocre. White Gold isn't the same and 14 is an admitted change in the recipe since they moved to the new brew house. Brute is long gone and LeBleu is a rumor. I get that beer aged with Brett in barrels is unpredictable and yada yada. Their other beers *are* average. I still enjoy them, but they aren't pushing the limits like other breweries that hung their respective hats on their specialties. Flower Power will only carry them so far - and I freaking love Flower Power.

36. suspect

PS: I'm drinking a Coldfront RIGHT NOW! Your mind is blown :)

37. shrek806

Yes, exactly. Flower power is awesome. Every other good beer has either been retired or changed. 13 was real good. Alphalpha is not as good. Brute is gone. Super friends which was awesome is gone. Why do you think their head brewer is gone and they promoted from within. They force distributors and bars to purchase their less popular beers like apricot wheat in order to get the flower power they want. Instead of being cutting edge, they have decided to cash in on the craft craze with little or no risk when it comes to their beers. I will still back flower power as an awesome Ipa. I just can't call them a cutting edge or even forward thinking brewery any more. If you don't think Ithaca won't miss Jeff O'Neil. You are kidding yourself. If they make me look like a fool, great for all of us. I will eat crow and drink great beer.

Centennial likes this.
  38. mark14580

I think opening their new brewpub and pilot brewery will allow them to experiment much more than they were able to previously. I expect some new great beers will be produced by them. If so ill cook the crow and we can share one of great new brews by Ithaca.

39. mark14580

Wow thank you for that. It's just crazy something so tragic could happen so close to home. I grew up on lake road about a mile from the shooting. Just crazy. Can just imagine how scary it is for you as a firefighter. Thank you for risking your life everyday as a firefighter for regular beer drinking schmo's like me. Hope you can spend time with your family after working.

40. shrek806

I don't want to sound like I'm not appreciative and I truly view my job as a calling and a second family, but I am just doing my job. Everyone has got a job to do. As long as everyone is proud of their work, that's what's important. I hope you are right about Ithaca.