1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Le Terroir

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by strangebrew321, Sep 28, 2013.

1. strangebrew321

strangebrew321 Savant (370) Indiana Feb 18, 2009

Wondering how the first batch is holding up and how old those bottles are. For those who have aged this beer, would you recommend aging it?

2. It's terrible, drink it fresh.

hooliganlife likes this.
  3. jedwards

jedwards Savant (330) California Feb 3, 2009

The previous 22oz bottling (uh... 2011? maybe 2010) has not held up well -- it's still a totally decent pale sour, but the balance of citric funk and hop aroma that made it great is gone. I'd drink it fresh and enjoy. That said... the old kegs are completely insane, if any bars are still hanging on to one. Drank from an 06/07 keg a little while back and it had all the blistering tartness of the most sour batches of La Folie, with a huge spicy funk component.

hooliganlife and libbey like this.
  4. mocktm

mocktm Savant (365) Virginia Jan 3, 2011

I opened a bottle last year around October I think and thought it was unbelievable. I can;t speak for it now, but I'm def going to be buying some of this years.

5. raveskdr

raveskdr Savant (365) Virginia Oct 10, 2009

I had a bottle right around a year ago. It was AMAZING. It was tart peach amazingness. They just had a keg of it at a place in DC and 4 guys I know all independently raved about it. I wish I could have that beer again.

6. bobcatjones

bobcatjones Zealot (80) Colorado Sep 19, 2013

Its dry-hopped and a huge attribute for this beer is how the fresh hop aromas (amarillo and citra) play with the sour funk. When you age this beer the hop aromas tend to oxidize and go from juicy mango, papaya, citrusy to a little sweaty, cheezy, old socks. Its certainly not horrible aged, but the idea of this beer is to showcase how a sour beer can taste with fresh hops. Try it fresh.

kristougher and hooliganlife like this.
  7. dbol

dbol Savant (255) Missouri Aug 19, 2007

it's dry hopped for a reason. fresh is best.

hooliganlife likes this.
  8. i loved it fresh but once the greatness faded it was a dull sour ale. DRINK FRESH.