Leaking Beer

Discussion in 'Home Bar' started by paulhargus, Dec 25, 2012.

1. Just had to replace my keg coupler (dropped it and broke the plastic handles). I have installed the new coupler, a single lever piece. Beer is very slowly leaking where the tailpiece/hex nut connects with the keg coupler. I have washers in place, yet the beer (or foam) leaks out anyway. From what I can tell, it's not coming from the beer line itself. I do not have any plumber's tape on the coupler. Could that be the problem, and if not, what is?

2. cubbyswans

cubbyswans Savant (380) Missouri Jun 10, 2008

maybe the washers have dried out, or are the incorrect size. Do you have more than one washer in there? Should only need one washer.

3. i do have a washer. the leaking has either stopped or is small enough that i don't notice it. i think i may just need to get some plumber's tape since i have none on that particular connection.

4. cubbyswans

cubbyswans Savant (380) Missouri Jun 10, 2008

I have never used plumbers tape. You shouldn't need it if the correct sized fittings and washers are used, really. Plumbers tape is like a band-aid, IMO, and not the correct solution. Kind of like using Duct Tape to hold your bumper on your car.

Maybe your washer has dried out.

5. it's a brand new washer in that connection. at first, i didn't have the washer fitted properly, but now it is. i probably should replace all other washers at this point anyway. i don't see any beer leaking at the moment. hopefully i'm not losing any co2

6. mooseisloose

mooseisloose Advocate (500) Florida Nov 16, 2005

It appears that you are drinking too slowly. The important thing here is the beer, the golden nectar, the god-like liquid that may be lost without proper response to the impending situation. Drink more quickly my friend and godspeed.