1. Trying to obtain a specific beer? Looking for a proxy or trustee? Tired of trading on other platforms? We've got you covered. Join our Beer Trading community to unlock this forum and new features! — Todd, Founder of BeerAdvocate

Leaking bottles

Discussion in 'Trade Talk' started by Kevinpitts, Aug 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kevinpitts

Kevinpitts Maven (1,323) May 22, 2014 Illinois

Hello fellow BA's. I recently sent 12 bottles out to California from Chicago. One of the bottles leaked out with the cap still intact. The bottle was about 1/2 filled still when it was received. Just wondering if anyone else has seen this. I've wondered if I should start taping unwaxed bottles now. This is the first time it's happened in 40 trades. The bottle was "Over the Line", a barrel aged offering from Pipework's. Thoughts?

2. MostlyNorwegian

MostlyNorwegian Pooh-Bah (1,912) Feb 5, 2013 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society

3. Kevinpitts

299-300. Bottled 9/21/14.

4. hophugger

hophugger Grand Pooh-Bah (3,410) Mar 5, 2014 Virginia
    Pooh-Bah Society

Bad seal would be my guess, unless it was very violently shaken to loosen the cap slightly...

Kevinpitts likes this.
  5. Hoppity1

Hoppity1 Zealot (686) Apr 25, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

I sent a zombie dust and was told it leaked a bit but I had it in a baggy. I'm guessing it wasn't nearly as much as you are talking about.

Kevinpitts likes this.
  6. Kevinpitts

About half of a 750 ml. bottle. Luckily, I always wrap the whole shipment in a garbage bag.

7. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Initiate (0) Oct 22, 2010 Oklahoma

Had some Heady Topper leakers. Turned out they had been having problems with their top sealer at the time. Should not leak whether bottle or can.

Kevinpitts likes this.
  8. Kevinpitts

Yeah, I read another post on leaking cans. That's what they said as well. Sometimes the seal is not complete, but you can't tell where its leaking unless you squeeze the can very hard.

9. BDCannon

BDCannon Initiate (0) Feb 24, 2015 Texas
    Trader

I was on the receiving end of a pipeworks trade earlier this summer in which the bottles leaked similar to what you describe. Package actually was sent back to the shipper by FedEx. My trade partner asked around and heard of similar experiences with pipeworks. Not sure if it can be tied to a batch or time of bottling.

Kevinpitts likes this.
  10. LFinCO

LFinCO Initiate (0) Jul 2, 2014 Colorado

Got a bottle of Trillium Vicinity last week with same problem -- cap was still on, about 1/3 had leaked out. Over 80 trades and never had it happen with my bottles or bottles sent to me.

Kevinpitts likes this.
  11. atpca

atpca Pooh-Bah (1,640) Jun 10, 2013 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I recently had a Mikkeller 375 sitting on the counter. Knocked it onto it's side by accident and it started spewing around the cap. Seen it happen a few other times when a bomber got a good shake and leaked. It does happen.

Kevinpitts likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.