1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Leaking bottles?

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by sandiego67, Feb 2, 2013.

1. I have had 2 trades in the past month that had a leaky bottle in the box. The trades usually involve 8-10 bottles total. No breakage, just a single bottle that has leaked in the package (1 Pliny, 1 Silva).

Has anyone else had this problem? Is there a way to prevent it?

The boxes were lined with trash bags and only 4-5 oz. of beer leaked so they were delivered.

I don't know if it is a combo of cold weather and air pressure but I am trying to avoid it moving forward.
  2. crusian

crusian Advocate (620) Oregon May 14, 2010

Pliney leakng, that's weird... all my leakages were from overcarbed sours...
    You can try electrical tape on the caps,but doubt that will work. Waxing would. Zip locks on each bottle will contain it, but otherwise a leak is something that can't really be stopped...
    Be happy it was delivered, for sure. Replace if asked.
    The only way cold weather would make it leak is if it froze and then thawed. Colder temps reduce air pressure inside, so it is less likely to leak, again, unless it freezes, then the beer expands and sometimes forces itself out of the cap if there isn't enough room in the head for expansion. My experience though, if it leaks due to freezing, if the cap doesn't blow, it stays pretty much sealed and will hold the rest of carbonation, but consume upon thawing.
  3. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

I havent had bottles leak, but I did have one that the cap completely blew off of. The entire 750 spilled into the box, and led to a soggy box and a call from the shipper.

Easiest solution I've found is to wax bottles I ship. Easy to do, doesnt take long, and gives me great peace of mind. Here's 3 bottles I just sent out, double waxed. No problems, and I think they look nice too.

[​IMG]
    claaark13 likes this.
  4. Jparkanzky

Jparkanzky Initiate (0) Ohio Apr 5, 2011

Replace without being asked.
  5. crusian

Wow. Nicely done!
  6. crusian

I have gotten leaked bottles and insisted not to replace. The beer left in it was fine. That being said I always offer it up if happens...
  7. claaark13

claaark13 Advocate (635) Indiana Nov 29, 2007

I honestly think that a lot of the bottles that leak (outside of certain known leakers, such as Cantillon) are due to an anomaly in the capping process. I've opened a "fresh" bottle of Alpha King before, for example, that barely hissed and was flat. I'm only left to assume that it was improperly capped in the line.

That probably doesn't explain all cases, but it undoubtedly explains some of them.
    cavedave likes this.
  8. Liverocks

Liverocks Savant (305) Delaware Dec 21, 2013

I just had a few wicked weed sours oblivion leak all over my suitcase. Good thing the airline frontier put a fragile sticker on my bag.
  9. treznor

treznor Savant (360) North Carolina Dec 20, 2006

ecause the one thing a FRAGILE sticker means to a shipper: 'KICK/DROP/DETONATE HERE'. I have an interesting anecdote. I picked up two identical shippers a couple weeks apart. The first one I had some colored tape that I used to cover the 'FRAGILE' markings on the box. The second one I didn't have any tape around so didn't get a chance to do so. Both have been through 5 flights with me now. The box with the FRAGILE markings visible on it is in significantly worse shape. Just one anecdote though...
    Liverocks likes this.