1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Leaking Mashtun

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by kjyost, Mar 23, 2014.

1. My Coleman Extreme 48qt mash tun is leaking from the seal by the ball valve. It looks to me like the seal is now getting pushed in a bit causing a void that liquid can get through. A few times ago it was a small drip, but now it is a substantially higher volume after I tried to fix it.

Anyone had this problem? Any thoughts on a solution? I was thinking maybe a new seal that would fit the inside factory seal, or maybe a seal with a stainless washer on top holding it against the tun wall.

2. inchrisin

inchrisin Savant (445) Indiana Sep 25, 2008

I think that's the right approach. Take the whole thing apart and rebuild with new seals. I use rubber washers and I've never tried SS. It sounds like it wouldn't seal tight enough. Be willing to try both.

3. I did with my Rubbermaid Tun that I bought from Midwest. Whoever assembled the damn thing put the small o-ring on the inside, and the larger one on the outside. I fixed it by reversing it. I noticed that whoever assembled it also tightened the shit out of it...which isn't necessary. It just needs to be tight enough to seal well on the inside o-ring...as that's the only thing that matters.

So, anyway, my advice it to use the largest o-ring you can find that will fit your purpose.

This assumes you have a proper bulkhead and whatnot.

4. skivtjerry

skivtjerry Advocate (540) Vermont Mar 10, 2006

I had the same problem with the same model cooler, in fact the seal totally failed on a brew day. I was able to salvage the day with a big, panicked application of plumbers putty. I used stainless washers and a lot of aquarium grade silicone caulk (safer than food grade; fish are very sensitive to water pollutants, easier to find too) to fix things up.