Left Hand Nitro Milk Stout Question

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by dmbenjamin1415, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Hey all BA members! I've been using this site for several years, but this is my first thread posting.

I live in Virginia and have been waiting for Left Hand's Nitro Milk Stout to be shipped here since it's initial release. Finally, this past week to my great surprise I happened to spot it at a local beer shop. I bought 2 six packs and have been enjoying them for the past couple of days.

Anyways, my question is when I pour (strongly as directed) I can never get that classic Guinness-esque nitro cascading appearance, it just looks like every other straight black stout pour. Never mind how hard I pour or at what angle I try it never has the cascading appearance I was expecting and read in reviews of the nitro-bottle. I've tried milk stouts from both six packs with the same result. The born on date is clearly stamped on each bottle and they seem to well within date, so any idea what gives?

2. Mgm54

Mgm54 Savant (375) Illinois Apr 7, 2011

When I pour this beer, I put my pint glass on a table or the floor, and completely turn the bottle upside down. Works for me every time and never spills over. Have you done this?

stoney1031 likes this.
  3. This is how I do it too. Still amazes me every time when it doesn't spill. Fun party trick...watch the host or hostess freak out thinking you are going to spill all over their carpet.

4. It's an all-around awesome beer. My friend got this for me a couple of weeks before Christmas and it's one of the better milk stouts and, as you all alluded to, one of the funnest beers to pour.

5. Zimm

Zimm Savant (490) New Jersey May 18, 2012

I put the bottle on the floor, line up the bottle, flip it 180 degrees, and use 6'4" frame to see how high I can get the bottle off the floor. It works like a charm for me!

In all seriousness, I have friend to get it to overflow and have yet to do so. I get the cascade but it's quicker than Guinness. Left hand has a video on their sight as well.

Hope you get it!

6. Thanks for the reply Mgm54. Yes, my first 3 I did just that. Took my Guinness pint glass on the table and poured out of the bottle at 180 degrees with mediocre results. Since, I have tried to pour as Guinness directs you to pour their draught can/bottle stouts (hold glass at 45 degree angle until 3/4 full, then straight up the rest of the way) with the same results. I feel like it's my fault, but I've tried to pour it as aggressively as possible to no avail.

7. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

They had a contest back when this brew came out where they had conestants record and post their pours online. Youtube has a ton still up. Pour it hard and put some distance in there too. My best looking pour was when I pulled the bottle up off the glass a ways.

dmbenjamin1415 likes this.
  8. mecummins

mecummins Savant (425) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

I pull the bottle up while pouring too (arms length.) The trick is to give it as much air as possible. It always works for me.

Just whatever you do, don 't drink it out of a bottle. I brought some to a holiday party, talking it up. Prople drank it right from the bottle and insisted that it wasn't that great. What an absolute waste.

9. I've tried Nitro Milk Stout many, many times now, and I have come to the conclusion that (at least for me) it's just not as good as the regular release. It always tastes consistently more watered-down flavor wise, and while it is "creamy," that mouth feel is a little under-carbonated for me (since it's not actually that thick of a beer); not sure why it would taste any different than regular, but I've even done a blind side by side and it's incredibly noticeable to me. Oh well, guess I'll save any extra dollar getting the product I like better anyway :)

Ispeakforthetrees likes this.
  10. Good tip SFACRKnight with Youtube.

Originally, I scanned the QR code on the back of the LH Nitro bottle that pulled up this video from which I tried to emulate but just wasn't getting the result the dude in the video was getting.

After your tip, I searched youtube real quick and found this video that shows the guy pouring it at a perfect 180 degrees, way up off the glass. After watching, I did exactly that and boom! There goes the beautiful nitro show I was expecting all this time.

Guess after pouring Guinness for so long (especially from the can), I just didn't expect to have to turn the bottle that drastically to 180 degrees at that height from the glass.

Thanks to all that replied I appreciate the help!

Cheers!

11. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

Seriously, ths is the most counter intuitive pouring you will ever do. Just don't try it with ten fidy, you'll be sorry.

dmbenjamin1415 likes this.
  12. Yes IamMe90, I agree it doesn't taste as rich or sweet as the regular release. But, to me, that's what I was looking forward to in this beer. The regular bottle just overwhelms me with it's sweetness (I know I know, Milk/Sweet stout). The nitrogen, like in Guinness, some complain it tastes water downed, but to me the nitrogen there and with this beer make it smoother and creamer. Just personal preference I guess.

Also guys, once I finally got this pour down, my god did the flavor change to much more of what I was expecting it to taste. When my previous pours didn't work properly, the taste was just off, but now it's spot on for what I wanted out of this beer.

mecummins likes this.