1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Left Hand Warrior

Discussion in 'US - Mountain' started by SFACRKnight, Oct 20, 2012.

1. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

Glad to see it made it back this year. I found this is the only IPA I have ever had that has the same smells on the nose that I experience when I brew and do my hop additions. Such a great beer.

2. denver10

denver10 Champion (900) Kentucky Nov 17, 2010

Tried it the other week at The Mayor...I have mixed thoughts on it. For just being an IPA I enjoyed it, for being a fresh hopped IPA I was expecting a little more assertiveness from the hops. Seemed, at least to me, like the malt kinda took over a little in that one. I am new to fresh hopped brews, however, so it is entirely possible my expectations were entirely unfair.

3. joshclauss

joshclauss Savant (315) Colorado Oct 31, 2010

@SFACRKnight, is the Warrior an English-style IPA? When I think of fresh hop beers, I want an American style, so I've been keeping away. Can you describe the flavor profile of the Warrior?

4. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

Warrior's a normal American style fresh-hopped ale. It has both Warrior and either Cascade or Columbus (I forget) hops from the western slope in it. If you've had GD's Fresh Hop, it's similar, but certainly different at the same time. If you've ever had their Stranger, the malt profile is similar. Plus, unlike normal IPA's, fresh hopped ones tend to have less bitterness and more of an herbal, grassy, and sometimes even minty note.

I was talking to the LH rep about it last week and it was only on tap at the moment, but bottles were due soon. The Royal Hilltop had some 2 weeks ago but their keg got emptied in just a couple days.

5. denver10

Interesting...I thought it reminded me of an English IPA when I tried it....that malt bill they used seemed to offer a lot of toffee and biscuit, at least that's what I got from it....guess I'll have to revisit it.

6. chango

chango Aficionado (240) Colorado Mar 31, 2006

I'd say English, too... big roasty malts along with the hops. I liked it okay... but not nearly as much as the Deschutes fresh hop offerings this year.

7. joshclauss

Cool, thanks. I'm definitely looking for beers more along the lines of Chasin' Freshies. That thing was tits. I've been having tons of trouble finding fresh IPA's lately, so I'm resorting to all fresh hop beers. Drinking Hop Trip right now, and it's not nearly as good as Chasin' Freshies.

8. denver10

I remember during a LNBA thread someone was comparing the Chasin Freshies to the Bridgeport Fresh Hop Pilsner....perhaps check that out?

9. joshclauss

I have not seen that yet, but I tend to look past Bridgeport beers. I'll give it a try. Hop Trip is growing on me...

10. denver10

I know I have seen that Bridgeport up here in FC so it has to be done in Denver too.

I have really been enjoying the Hop Trip a lot.

11. Domingo

I suppose it's kind of English. The malts certainly head in that direction, but it's definitely using American hops.
    If you like Stranger or 400 lb. Monkey, it'll be familiar, but the grassy notes from the hops will definitely be there more than the more traditional pine-y bitterness.

I'm curious about the bottles myself. Being a fresh hop beer, the sooner we get it the better I'd imagine.

12. There were bottles of Warrior on Saturday at Little's in Denver, I imagine it's probably around at other places as well. Good hunting!

13. SFACRKnight

It's for sure a little bit maltier than chasing freshies, but not much. That's what I have always liked about Deschutes pale ales is that they are well balanced between the hops and malts. The other IPA i had was stone's enjoy by, and in comparison to chasin freshies and warrior it is all hops. I still like the actual hop profile of warrior over both beers though. I'm pretty sure warrior is all cascade hops. I don't have alot of experience with english style pale ales, so I can't make that comparison.

14. joshclauss

Here's the hop bill on it, from the website. The character is supposed to be Warrior hops, which is a flavor I'm not at all familiar with.

http://www.lefthandbrewing.com/beers/warrior-ipa

15. SFACRKnight

Ah. The bottle only mentions cascade. Either way I really enjoy it. Like I said before, it has the same nose my homebrew pot does right after hop additions. That's my favorite smell in the world these days.

16. chango

chango Aficionado (240) Colorado Mar 31, 2006

Speaking of fresh hops... I'm drinkin' Hop Trip and watchin' the Giants go ballistic.
    Everything is right in the world.

denver10 likes this.
  17. Fitshaced

Fitshaced Aficionado (220) Colorado Feb 29, 2012

Damn was looking forward to trying Warrior. I don't care for English IPAs very much. 400lb is ok just not really the profile i like. Might be a great English Ipa just not for me i like american ipas. I do want to try Chasing freshies. Way off topic i saw Marble Imperial red was in the state. been looking forward to that one also

18. SFACRKnight

I really thimk warrior is more comparable to chasin freshies than 400lb monkey. I hate 400 lb monkey.

19. @fitshaced-I didn't like 400lb monkey. English style tends just have an odd after taste in my mouth.

20. denver10

If memory serves me correct, 400 LB Monkey was a drain pour for me. I did enjoy The Warrior.

21. Domingo

Guess I'm the only one who likes the Monkey. To me, Warrior has a similar malt character to 400 Lb. Monkey, but the hops are definitely different. I like 'em both. In general, I like the malt profiles from LH.