Dismiss Notice
Save $5 when you subscribe to 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine by selecting auto-renew.

Subscribe now →
Dismiss Notice
Join Our Email List →

And we'll send you the latest updates and offers from BeerAdvocate, because knowing is half the battle.
Dismiss Notice

Pre-order your Respect Beer "Hipster" Hoodie today!

Plus: Free shipping (US only) on orders of $25 or more until 12/18/15. Just select "Free Shipping" at checkout.

Shop now →

Belgium Legal situation of growlers in NL?

Discussion in 'Europe' started by yester, May 26, 2013.

  1. yester

    yester Disciple (55) Netherlands Apr 30, 2013

    Does anybody know about this?
    Is it legal to sell/refill growlers/ I remember Christoffel used 2liter growlers but I have no idea if they actually did refills. What is the legal situation?

    Vaguely remember there was some issue with whiskeys from barrels.
  2. There is no legal situation. When the wort is boiled the brewer pays his taxes and after that he can do whatever he wants with this beer....As far as i know there are none brewers who fill growlers for customers...

  3. Bierman9

    Bierman9 Poobah (1,070) New Hampshire Dec 20, 2001 Verified

    None? Well, they should change that right away!!! A huge, new stream of revenue awaits them, plus more fresh bier for customers!!!

  4. yester

    yester Disciple (55) Netherlands Apr 30, 2013

    I'd be surprised but sounds good.
    In a country like good'ol netherlands where everything is regulated I can certainly see some health care regulation concerning refillable containers.
  5. Vanlingleipa

    Vanlingleipa Savant (485) California May 19, 2011 Verified

    How different from the Czech Repubic, where people walk down to their neighborhood pubs nightly to fill ceramic pitchers full of fresh pivo goodness to drink with dinner.
    Bierman9 likes this.
  6. patto1ro

    patto1ro Advocate (510) Netherlands Apr 26, 2004

    There is a legal problem with filling growlers in pubs, at least in Amsterdam. All but a handful of pubs only have on-licences, meaning it's illegal for them to sell alcohol to be consumed elsewhere.
  7. yester

    yester Disciple (55) Netherlands Apr 30, 2013

    Do you know what licence is needed?
    Slijterij vergunning (or is that only for strong spirits?) like good old Andre Lacroix on Overtoom?

  8. patto1ro

    patto1ro Advocate (510) Netherlands Apr 26, 2004

    Yes, they need a slijterij vergunning. It's for any alcohol to be consumed off the premises.

    That Overtoom place is one (it just didn't make my pub guide, why I can't quite remember now). As are these: Hoppe on Spui and Oosterling and Utrechtsestraat.